A look at offensive line recruiting

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So we are dirty because we do something every team does, just more often?

I am in the camp that we sometimes cut when we shouldn’t. Example, I’ve seen us try to cut line backers standing still. We should just drive them. I also see some cut blocks that aren’t really great technique. Example, sometimes we really do appear to dive at ankles instead of driving through the hips. I just don’t think using cut blocks makes us dirty.
yeah, reading back, you and I are on same page. Sorry.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Cut blocks aren't legal in several situations already in the NCAA and there's obviously a trend to outlaw them altogether, given the intro of the new rules this year about downfield cutting. And they are widely considered to be a dirty tactic regardless of who is doing it. I'm puzzled as to why that is even debated here, as is our reputation. A reputation I've done nothing to cause lol.
There is no trend to eliminate them. The idea is to limit them to the line because it's too easy to be "blindsided" with your eyes in the backfield if you're in the open field. That's what they're trying to eliminate. If the defender can see the block, it's not illegal. If they can't or if they have someone coming at them full steam, it's illegal. That's the point. Cut blocking at the line is not illegal, it's not dangerous, EVERY team in high school, college, and the pros do it on the line.

You're too caught up in the whining of other coaches. The reason they whine and complain isn't because their players are getting injured, it's because their players are getting the **** handed to them. Anything they can do to make us less effective in this offense or to sway recruits is a plus in their book. Doesn't make them right, doesn't make fans who parrot their whining any less ignorant.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I think the NCAA should make a rule where no players on the line of scrimmage are eligible to block below the waste. Anyone else shouldn’t be allowed to more than 5 yards down the field.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I think the NCAA should make a rule where no players on the line of scrimmage are eligible to block below the waste. Anyone else shouldn’t be allowed to more than 5 yards down the field.
If you really want a rule where no players on the line can block below the waist, then you do not like football. Maybe you are a fan of 7 on 7? It would be impossible to run the ball at all. Should defenders not be able to tackle below the waist too?

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe that CPJ made a tactical error in not going with Lucas Johnson... He made the switch on TQM last year (when he probably should have been an Aback) and he has stuck with it, but I believe this was a mistake. It is clear that Lucas Johnson and Tobias Oliver are:

Better passers
Bigger players
Equally capable of rushing the football

This is a bizarre mistake. TQM couldn't even make the pitch reads and stuff last year. He has gotten better but he is essentially a DB trying to throw the ball.

In limited action you can clearly see Tobias is just as good running the ball, if not better because he is bigger. In the spring game you can clearly see Lucas Johnson can sling the ball all over the place... Teams can't totally sell out to stop the option with Lucas Johnson in the game.. There are all sorts of big plays being left out there because TQM can't throw the ball. Just this season I have seen lots of 50+ yard big plays not be connected on because of the passing game.

Watch #7 here.... enough said.

Also....

How do you know Tobias is a better passer? Off of 2 passing attempts in his career? He very well could be, but we don't know that yet. And lucas was 5-17 for 1 TD and 1 INT in the spring game. We haven't seen him with any action either, but both he and Tobias seem to have a lot of potential.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
How do you know Tobias is a better passer? Off of 2 passing attempts in his career? He very well could be, but we don't know that yet. And lucas was 5-17 for 1 TD and 1 INT in the spring game. We haven't seen him with any action either, but both he and Tobias seem to have a lot of potential.

I looked up TO’s high school passing numbers and they look pretty decent. Personally, I would like to see some more of TO and his passing. It will never happen but I’d like to see TM play in the first half this weekend and then see TO for the entire second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I looked up TO’s high school passing numbers and they look pretty decent. Personally, I would like to see some more of TO and his passing. It will never happen but I’d like to see TM play in the first half this weekend and then see TO for the entire second half.

This may be the best chance to see Graham this year. PJ may be holding him back in case he has to be the backup later this year and can keep his redshift year.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

It might not be TO's ability to throw, but his ability to read college level defenses and make the correct throws. One throw had great touch to a wide open receiver, and the other was a duck on a broken play where Lynch had to make a circus catch. TO looks like he is very solid on the limited plays he runs, and I am excited to see him play more, but we should probably take the coach's word for it when he says TM is a better passer right now.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It might not be TO's ability to throw, but his ability to read college level defenses and make the correct throws. One throw had great touch to a wide open receiver, and the other was a duck on a broken play where Lynch had to make a circus catch. TO looks like he is very solid on the limited plays he runs, and I am excited to see him play more, but we should probably take the coach's word for it when he says TM is a better passer right now.

Very good point.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
This may be the best chance to see Graham this year. PJ may be holding him back in case he has to be the backup later this year and can keep his redshift year.

Understandable based on the perceived quality of the opponent, but -- I hope Johnson maintains the possibility of using Graham's four redshirt games against four of the remaining six conference opponents, the four deemed "most beatable" by Tech, hopefully four victories to slip into bowl eligibility (assuming a win this weekend). If Graham is as gifted as folks say he is, super, have a package of plays for him and see what happens. And don't waste one of Graham's four redshirt games against a Bowling Green squad which even a reeling Tech should defeat by four touchdowns minimum.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If Graham doesn't play vs BG then I can't see him in for rest of season unless something drastic changes.
Agree. PJ had a chance to play LJ last year in 4th quarter against Duke and didn't. The only way Graham sees the field this year is via injury to the others ahead of him.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Back to the topic about recruiting. Wes did us a solid today mentioning how tough recruiting in our neighborhood is.

329de64da3dc67d49ebcc0666eadf020.jpg