A list of recruiting debacles: This List goes to 11

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
With ongoing discussion of whether or not Pastner can recruit, it brought to mind that throughout GT's history in the ACC, recruiting has sputtered and soared, regardless of the coach. We all like to bask in the glories of Price, Salley, Dalyrmple, Ferrell, Hammonds, Scott, Anderson, Mackey, Best, Forrest, Jack, Bosh,Thaddeus, etc. Good times.

For the sake of historical perspective and sardonic grins, this list is dedicated to the dark moments in GT Hoops recruiting, both culpable and unfortunate. Please feel free to add to the list:

#11. Cremins 1994 switcheroo with taking the South Carolina job ruined our chances with PA big Jason Lawson, who had a good career with Villanova. Can't say that we were a slam dunk to land Lawson, but we were in a good position with Lawson and Elisma. We did get Elisma.

#10. Muhammed Faye. For some reason, Hewitt's staff felt the need to leak the news that we had a significant international signing, but was keeping the player's identity a secret until he was enrolled. The secrecy had the (I hope unintended) effect of producing a high degree of anticipation and expectations for the player who turned out to be Muhammed Faye. A 6"9" string bean who had no strength to play the post or skills or quickness to play the perimeter. It all became a big joke ... on us.

#9. We were set to land Don MacLean in 1988 in the Spring period. He was a UCLA legacy, but that program was in disarray. UCLA hired Jim Harrick as coach during a recruiting dead period and right before the signing period, MacLean magically came out of the dead period a UCLA commit. MacLean would leave the school as its all time leading scorer. Gotta love Harrick.

#8. Matt Harpring. I have to make a spot for him on this list because one of the all time great GT players had to beg his way into the program as Cremins just didn't believe he was an ACC player. Harpring played on the same high school team as Cremins' son and Cremins saw him numerous times. Kevin Cantwell practically had to hold Cremins at gunpoint to get him to take Harpring. Sheesh!

#7. Michael Christian. In typical Cremins fashion, Bobby was able to identify top PG talent and went all the way to Denver to land his replacement for Mark Price. Christian was one of the top lead guards in the class of 1987. Great signing. But Christian got into a car wreck and mangled his knee and never was the same. If we had signed Christian, would we have landed Kenny Anderson for 1990?

#6. Kevin Morris. Bobby Cremins was slow to account for early departures and they burned him every time, particularly at PG. Cremins didn't try to recruit for a Marbury replacement until the Spring (even though Marbury wasn't even going to classes!) and we got left with Kevin Morris who was not up to the task. Cremins promptly recruited over Morris the next year when he signed LeTravis Spivey (ho was not much better). Recruiting over Morris alienated Cremis from the NYC AAU coachesand helped to dry-out that NYC talent pipeline. To add a little salt to the injury, the rest of that class was Pablo Machado (transferred to Pepperdien), Jon Babul and Jason Floyd.

#5. Jamie Watson and Joe Forte. GT fans had become accustomed to Cremins landing his top targets, and after a Final Four run, there was little reason for GT fans believe that Cremins would whiff. But for the 1990 class, whiff we did. Reece was slated to replace Scott at the wing but he chose Carolina and Watson was supposed to replace Oliver at the 2G but he followed our ex-assistant to South Carolina. We did manage to land Jon Barry (sight-unseen) and Brain Hill late to fill in.

#4. Joe Forte and Damien Wilkins. Cremins had put himself in good shape with his two prime targets for 1999 and had them in together for official visits on the first day of Practice in October. It happened to be the practice where Dion Glover blew out his knee. A depressed Cremins retreated and was not seen for the rest of the weekend. Forte went to Carolina and Wilkins to NCSt. That was the final nail for Cremins.

#3. Austin Jackson. Hewitt needed a PG to replace Jack and for some reason targeted Austin Jackson who was well known to be a Five Tool baseball prospect. The only other Power Five offer for Jackson was from Illinois. Jackson said he wanted to play basketball, but EVERYONE else seemed to know that there was an extreme risk that Austin Jackson would not be able to turn down a MLB signing bonus. Jackson turned out to be the bonus baby, as many expected and he went on to a decent MLB career. The good news was that we would eventually sign Zam Frederick to replace Jack...

#2. Shareef Abdur Rahim. Rahim was a long time fan of the program and was around Gt years before he blossomed into a Blue Chip recruit. It was considered a foregone conclusion he would go to Tech. But shady dealings of the dirty Todd Bozeman at Cal mediated through former LSU guard Mahmoud Abdul Rauf (WTF?) sent Rahim packing for California. Cremins went ballistic and chewed out Rahim's Marietta high school coach who would head a local powerhouse program for decades. That coach would refuse to allow any of his players to attend Tech for over 20 years (Usher broke the streak, but only via USC).

#1. Michael Southall / Emeka Okafore. Hewitt needed a Center. Future All-America and part of the team that would defeat us for the National Title was high on Tech, but was too slow for Hewitt, who decided to take the physical prep school post player Michael Southall, who had had some legal troubles. One week later, Okafore telephoned to commit to GT, but Hewitt didn't have a spot for him. Okafore became an All Amarica and National Champion at UConn (not to mention a Math major and model student). A few weeks after refusing Okafore, Southall was busted on felony weed dealing charges. He was later busted for weed using because, he said, he needed to relax before his court proceedings. Eventually, we did end up with Shenscher, but Jeeze man!

Honorable mentions: Alonzo Mourning (Close but no cigar) and Al Harrington.

Recruiting flubs are part of the landscape!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I can tell you too we pretty much had Monte Morris too..... BG went and got a Solomon Poole commitment first. Word up here was Morris wanted no part of playing with Poole and those involved in Montes recruitment, mainly Jeff Grayer (Flint great and Iowa St star) basically put an end to him coming to Tech. I’m not saying he was a 100% lock but most of the people I know up here all, for the most part, told me the same thing....

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Good list, but surprised that Solomon Poole didn’t make an appearance. He was the iceberg that helped sink Gregory!

Ooooh, that's a good one! I should have thought of that! Not only does Gregory recruit a loose cannon, but he decides to bring him in early and mid-Semester to boot. Spectacular lack of judgment. And learning that his presence likely caused us to lose Monte Morris is only icing on the cake! I think I would rank this one at #3.

Where would we rate Pastner's Golden Sombrero class?

#? After doing great leg-work over the Summer, the staff had scheduled official visits for 7 (!) 4 star recruits: Marcus Watson, Bogie Ellis, Robbie Beran, Orlando Robinson, Chandler Lawson and Ishmael Massoud. All but Massoud made it to campus. We seemed in very good shape with all except Ellis. For Beran, Watson, and Lawson,w e seemed to be expecatant for good news at any day and every one of them flew the coup. I think it is pretty singular in my memory to have so many good recruits visit and land none.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
I do think that one of the issues with the 2019 class recruiting was the plethora of returning players and very few available minutes. It was a 2-year wait until the Junior Class(Jose, etc) moved on and 3 years for Devoe. While we will still have upperclassmen in 2021, there will be playing time up for grabs.
Ooooh, that's a good one! I should have thought of that! Not only does Gregory recruit a loose cannon, but he decides to bring him in early and mid-Semester to boot. Spectacular lack of judgment. And learning that his presence likely caused us to lose Monte Morris is only icing on the cake! I think I would rank this one at #3.

Where would we rate Pastner's Golden Sombrero class?

#? After doing great leg-work over the Summer, the staff had scheduled official visits for 7 (!) 4 star recruits: Marcus Watson, Bogie Ellis, Robbie Beran, Orlando Robinson, Chandler Lawson and Ishmael Massoud. All but Massoud made it to campus. We seemed in very good shape with all except Ellis. For Beran, Watson, and Lawson,w e seemed to be expecatant for good news at any day and every one of them flew the coup. I think it is pretty singular in my memory to have so many good recruits visit and land none.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
With ongoing discussion of whether or not Pastner can recruit, it brought to mind that throughout GT's history in the ACC, recruiting has sputtered and soared, regardless of the coach. We all like to bask in the glories of Price, Salley, Dalyrmple, Ferrell, Hammonds, Scott, Anderson, Mackey, Best, Forrest, Jack, Bosh,Thaddeus, etc. Good times.

For the sake of historical perspective and sardonic grins, this list is dedicated to the dark moments in GT Hoops recruiting, both culpable and unfortunate. Please feel free to add to the list:

#11. Cremins 1994 switcheroo with taking the South Carolina job ruined our chances with PA big Jason Lawson, who had a good career with Villanova. Can't say that we were a slam dunk to land Lawson, but we were in a good position with Lawson and Elisma. We did get Elisma.

#10. Muhammed Faye. For some reason, Hewitt's staff felt the need to leak the news that we had a significant international signing, but was keeping the player's identity a secret until he was enrolled. The secrecy had the (I hope unintended) effect of producing a high degree of anticipation and expectations for the player who turned out to be Muhammed Faye. A 6"9" string bean who had no strength to play the post or skills or quickness to play the perimeter. It all became a big joke ... on us.

#9. We were set to land Don MacLean in 1988 in the Spring period. He was a UCLA legacy, but that program was in disarray. UCLA hired Jim Harrick as coach during a recruiting dead period and right before the signing period, MacLean magically came out of the dead period a UCLA commit. MacLean would leave the school as its all time leading scorer. Gotta love Harrick.

#8. Matt Harpring. I have to make a spot for him on this list because one of the all time great GT players had to beg his way into the program as Cremins just didn't believe he was an ACC player. Harpring played on the same high school team as Cremins' son and Cremins saw him numerous times. Kevin Cantwell practically had to hold Cremins at gunpoint to get him to take Harpring. Sheesh!

#7. Michael Christian. In typical Cremins fashion, Bobby was able to identify top PG talent and went all the way to Denver to land his replacement for Mark Price. Christian was one of the top lead guards in the class of 1987. Great signing. But Christian got into a car wreck and mangled his knee and never was the same. If we had signed Christian, would we have landed Kenny Anderson for 1990?

#6. Kevin Morris. Bobby Cremins was slow to account for early departures and they burned him every time, particularly at PG. Cremins didn't try to recruit for a Marbury replacement until the Spring (even though Marbury wasn't even going to classes!) and we got left with Kevin Morris who was not up to the task. Cremins promptly recruited over Morris the next year when he signed LeTravis Spivey (ho was not much better). Recruiting over Morris alienated Cremis from the NYC AAU coachesand helped to dry-out that NYC talent pipeline. To add a little salt to the injury, the rest of that class was Pablo Machado (transferred to Pepperdien), Jon Babul and Jason Floyd.

#5. Jamie Watson and Joe Forte. GT fans had become accustomed to Cremins landing his top targets, and after a Final Four run, there was little reason for GT fans believe that Cremins would whiff. But for the 1990 class, whiff we did. Reece was slated to replace Scott at the wing but he chose Carolina and Watson was supposed to replace Oliver at the 2G but he followed our ex-assistant to South Carolina. We did manage to land Jon Barry (sight-unseen) and Brain Hill late to fill in.

#4. Joe Forte and Damien Wilkins. Cremins had put himself in good shape with his two prime targets for 1999 and had them in together for official visits on the first day of Practice in October. It happened to be the practice where Dion Glover blew out his knee. A depressed Cremins retreated and was not seen for the rest of the weekend. Forte went to Carolina and Wilkins to NCSt. That was the final nail for Cremins.

#3. Austin Jackson. Hewitt needed a PG to replace Jack and for some reason targeted Austin Jackson who was well known to be a Five Tool baseball prospect. The only other Power Five offer for Jackson was from Illinois. Jackson said he wanted to play basketball, but EVERYONE else seemed to know that there was an extreme risk that Austin Jackson would not be able to turn down a MLB signing bonus. Jackson turned out to be the bonus baby, as many expected and he went on to a decent MLB career. The good news was that we would eventually sign Zam Frederick to replace Jack...

#2. Shareef Abdur Rahim. Rahim was a long time fan of the program and was around Gt years before he blossomed into a Blue Chip recruit. It was considered a foregone conclusion he would go to Tech. But shady dealings of the dirty Todd Bozeman at Cal mediated through former LSU guard Mahmoud Abdul Rauf (WTF?) sent Rahim packing for California. Cremins went ballistic and chewed out Rahim's Marietta high school coach who would head a local powerhouse program for decades. That coach would refuse to allow any of his players to attend Tech for over 20 years (Usher broke the streak, but only via USC).

#1. Michael Southall / Emeka Okafore. Hewitt needed a Center. Future All-America and part of the team that would defeat us for the National Title was high on Tech, but was too slow for Hewitt, who decided to take the physical prep school post player Michael Southall, who had had some legal troubles. One week later, Okafore telephoned to commit to GT, but Hewitt didn't have a spot for him. Okafore became an All Amarica and National Champion at UConn (not to mention a Math major and model student). A few weeks after refusing Okafore, Southall was busted on felony weed dealing charges. He was later busted for weed using because, he said, he needed to relax before his court proceedings. Eventually, we did end up with Shenscher, but Jeeze man!

Honorable mentions: Alonzo Mourning (Close but no cigar) and Al Harrington.

Recruiting flubs are part of the landscape!

AUSTIN JACKSON was the key to where we are today.Just as you said bewiit BLEW-it.Stupid thinking a tech scholly over a million $ to start with. So bleitt and Tech never really recovered to me--the beginning of end.

MISSOURIJACKET

Georgia Tech Fan
AUSTIN JACKSON was the key to where we are today.Just as you said bewiit BLEW-it.Stupid thinking a tech scholly over a million $ to start with. So bleitt and Tech never really recovered to me--the beginning of end.
That was very disappointing. I remember him still using it as a excuse several years later.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ellison is a good one as well. But Cremins took Hammonds. Hard to complain.

I still remember Mourning. I was in HS. There was a headline in the AJC sports page along the line of "If Alonzo comes to Tech, Opponents will be Mourning".

The Forte/Wilkins one is really tough as well. Whole program was gloomy after the injury and the 2 recruits assumed Dion would be back the next year, Dion ended up leaving without ever playing at GT again.

Taking Poole over Morris has haunted me since it happened. I remember Wasp and I talking about that one and what a high risk/high reward decision that was. It completely up in Gregory's face. I really wanted Morris in that one.

Thanks for the bad memories Wasp :mad:

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
My summary memory of Brian Gregory is that he ran an undisciplined program on and off the court. He recruited Rice, he recruited Solo Poole, he recruited Carter and let him float around the three point line, he hired that staffer London. What a chaotic mess.

When Gregory hired that experienced assistant (Schmidt? was it?) things improved in his last year, but by then it was too late.

BTW, excuse the typo in my list for #5 which is Jaime Watson and Brian Reece (not Joe Forte).

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My summary memory of Brian Gregory is that he ran an undisciplined program on and off the court. He recruited Rice, he recruited Solo Poole, he recruited Carter and let him float around the three point line, he hired that staffer London. What a chaotic mess.

When Gregory hired that experienced assistant (Schmidt? was it?) things improved in his last year, but by then it was too late.

BTW, excuse the typo in my list for #5 which is Jaime Watson and Brian Reece (not Joe Forte).

Rice was a Hewitt recruit wasn't he? Same class as Udofia or am I misremembering?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
You're right. Rice came in with Favors and Udofia in 2010. Another Jewel in Hewitt's crown. Apologies to Brian Gregory. Those years are fuzzy to me, they were not fun.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
IIRC, when Poole enrolled mid-year the initial plan was that he would acclimate to college and practice with the team, but would not play until the following year. Then the scuttlebutt was that his family wanted him to play immediately, and the staff acquiesced. That was when I really began to question Gregory's judgement, and that was without knowing anything about Morris, or Poole's general reputation.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Solo Poole was the most undisciplined, un-ready college player that I think I have ever seen. It was jaw-dropping. Gregory's recruiting spiel was to tell recruits that if they worked on defense for him, then he would grant them "freedom" on the offensive end. Poole took that "freedom" to mean that he could play like there were not team mates on the court and that the outcome of the game didn't matter.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IIRC Poole as a senior had two incidents in highschool, one where he spit water onto the court and another where he cussed out the reffs, which led to him being suspended for his post season run his senior year. I could be off but I remember posting online, not sure if here or the hive to be honest, that there were recruits where the talent isn't worth the baggage and he was a clear case of that.

To me, taking him, and taking Pierre Jordan to help us land Robert Carter were two early signs to me that gregory wasn't what we needed.