A fitting quote by John Wooden & a fitting standard to evaluate a coach.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
"While no coach can win without talented athletes, not all coaches can win-even with talent." Wooden had a way with his athletes and a unique way of coaching them. He stood by his values, morals, and remained grounded in his beliefs (spiritually, those taught by his mentors, & his father) and his spouse. Admirable to say the least.
I have been reading the book My personal best by John Wooden. Great book and very easy read. However it is FULL of great advice on LIFE in all areas....personally, as a member of a family, and professionally (sports or career). In fact, one of the main things it drives home is team work and giving all you have in all aspects. This enables you to hold your head high no matter the score on the board at the end of the game. In my opinion CPJ has done a good job of achieving success on and off the field with his a players (various levels of talent). While some other coaches continue to "rake in highly rated recruiting classes year after year" and still can break through the glass ceiling in their conference or in big time bowl games.
Anyway, I thought that this quote reminded me of what Coach Paul Johnson does with our student-athletes. I think he does a outstanding job of creating an environment where young men can enter into a "family" and grow together as a team and mature as students, athletically, and prepare for life after college in the work force or professionals arena. Perhaps this year is the year that we see things "click" and we achieve a higher level of success.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Tylo ...I apologize.... In the section about highly rated recruits year after year but can't break through the glass ceiling or win the bog bowl games.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Typo ...I apologize.... In the section about highly rated recruits year after year but can't break through the glass ceiling or win the big bowl games.