A few stats on the GT defense

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Total D probably owes a lot to our O limiting possessions, but our D is legit, imo.

I'm not so sure AE87. There have been several games where our Offense has had 3 and outs, which in turn gave the opposing teams more possessions against our Defense. But, in general you would be correct. Our offense being the ball control system that it is, causes what you eluded to.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure AE87. There have been several games where our Offense has had 3 and outs, which in turn gave the opposing teams more possessions against our Defense. But, in general you would be correct. Our offense being the ball control system that it is, causes what you eluded to.

We are 13 in yds/game and 67 in yds/play. We're better than those stats though.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Not trying to be the negative nancy here but the sad part about this is that I've heard several people, myself included, say that if we ever have a top 25 defense college football better watch out, but here we sit at 4 and 3...... can we ever put them together????

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Roof has actually surprised me some with his ability to make adjustments. That was not a consistent trend for him as a coach in his past.

I like what I saw from the defense Saturday, they held a team that suppisedly held a strong running game to 75 yards. With his ability to recruit, it could be a bright future for the defense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
[That's te="ybeenormal, post: 12592, member: 111"]Not trying to be the negative nancy here but the sad part about this is that I've heard several people, myself included, say that if we ever have a top 25 defense college football better watch out, but here we sit at 4 and 3...... can we ever put them together????[/quote]

That's fans being wishful thinking

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to be the negative nancy here but the sad part about this is that I've heard several people, myself included, say that if we ever have a top 25 defense college football better watch out, but here we sit at 4 and 3...... can we ever put them together????
We haven't been a top 25 D. That was the point of my earlier posts. We're getting there.

We really should have no problem with uva and little problem with pitt. If we win those two games, the bowl streak should be safe and we can play loose against cu and dwags.

Go jackets

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Personally I am pleased with our Defense. It is much improved from last season under CAG. If the our Offense can play at a high level like it can then W's will come. The defense doesn't have to shut down every team we play to 0 points. Although it would be nice. The defense just needs to keep every team we play to 21 points or less. With the expectation that our offense can do its norm.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
This defense is not top 25. We get pushed around in the trenches too much and the way we play 10 yards off opposing WRs drives me bonkers.
That being said, we are making strides in the right direction and are improving every game, we still have a good ways to go though

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
UVA has been a house of horrors for Tech in the past, so I don't know what to expect honestly. I feel Tech should win but I also feel Tech should have a 9-3 season. UVA is two classes away from being relevant again but I don't think they will let their coach stick around long enough for it to come into fruition.

A dominant defense would do wonders for this team and for recruiting in general. I was starting to question if they switched back to the 4-3 too soon because the DE have played so poorly. But maybe the push from Kallon and Gamble was the ignition for Dieke and Cummings to play better.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
We haven't been a top 25 D. Thats the point of my earlier posts. We're getting there.

We really should have no problem with uva and little problem with pitt. If we win those two games, the bowl streak should be safe and we can play loose against cu and dwags.

Go jackets
I must respectfully disagree. I do agree that we have some work to do but statistically we have a top 25 d in total d and scoring d. I'm sure you could find holes that needed to be filled in most ds in the top 25, soI guess my question would be, what makes our d any different? I ddon't know, maybe I just rely on stats too much because I do understand what you're saying and I watch the same team sometimes expecting someone to get beat deep or a huge hole in the secondary and a 73 yard td run......whew! Its been like a recurring nightmare! Lol. I know we don't have an alabama d but it looks like we are moving in the right direction.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I must respectfully disagree. I do agree that we have some work to do but statistically we have a top 25 d in total d and scoring d. I'm sure you could find holes that needed to be filled in most ds in the top 25, soI guess my question would be, what makes our d any different? I ddon't know, maybe I just rely on stats too much because I do understand what you're saying and I watch the same team sometimes expecting someone to get beat deep or a huge hole in the secondary and a 73 yard td run......whew! Its been like a recurring nightmare! Lol. I know we don't have an alabama d but it looks like we are moving in the right direction.
I'll be more impressed when GT starts to shut down some of the higher ranked offenses (see Miami, Clemson, uga). I do, however, agree that we are moving in the right direction.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It seems like you don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying that the stats you are looking at are misleading because our offense limits the other team's possessions.

A team that scores on half their possessions against us will have the same points as scoring on only a third against someone else.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
I do understand what you're saying and I have from the beginning. I looked up the TOP stats and lo and behold we are number one. It just seems like because our o has not clicked like it can, we have had a lot more 3 and outs. Regardless of how its happened I will enjoy looking at the stat sheet and seeing us in the top 20 even if it is just for a few more weeks