A few of my thoughts on Spring practice

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Byerly is slightly better than serviceable. Very stiff. Saw him get caught from behind a couple of times on the option ala Tevin. About what I expected, with a little better arm. Just think we will struggle to get to the edge consistently with TB. Ty Griffin's arm looked terrible, And I do understand that it was wet but still shouldn't look that bad. I did like his running ability though. Matt Jordan looked like Synjin Days did. Making his mind up that he was going to keep it no matter what. I'll give him a break though as he's only been running this system for a few weeks now. Was actually impressed with Brady Swilling. He looked much better on the mesh than the other 3 qbs. He's much more of a fluid athlete than Byerly. Bottom line...If JT can't beat out Byerly, we are going to see the same results we've been seeing.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They will need D Wilson next year at BB.

He blocked well and ran hard for the few plays he was in...

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
And passing is going to continue to be bad as long as our OLine is coached to not give ground instead of pass set. No qb will have time to set their feet and throw. CPJ's hard headed approach here is going to keep hurting us, unless he wakes up and makes a change.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
And passing is going to continue to be bad as long as our OLine is coached to not give ground instead of pass set. No qb will have time to set their feet and throw. CPJ's hard headed approach here is going to keep hurting us, unless he wakes up and makes a change.

You and I actually agree on the OL passing point. Especially in obvious passing situations. We are asking guys to do things they just cannot physically do.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The thing is that we often run on "obvious passing downs". Successfully, I might add. Coach doesn't want to give that option up and, besides, if we stand up to push and shove (well, that's what it is) on some downs, we give the D the signal to pull their CBs and Ss back. The whole point of looking like you are going to run every play is to catch the DBs with their pants down when you throw.

Now, as an old (very) OL myself, I feel for our guys. They have a hard job already what with having to read Ds and get down field for second level blocks. But they knew the job was dangerous when they took it. We have had good success in the past doing what Coach wants. If we can – please, Jesus – keep 5 OLs on the field as a unit most of the year and not get decimated like last year, then I think all will be well.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The thing is that we often run on "obvious passing downs". Successfully, I might add. Coach doesn't want to give that option up and, besides, if we stand up to push and shove (well, that's what it is) on some downs, we give the D the signal to pull their CBs and Ss back. The whole point of looking like you are going to run every play is to catch the DBs with their pants down when you throw.

Now, as an old (very) OL myself, I feel for our guys. They have a hard job already what with having to read Ds and get down field for second level blocks. But they knew the job was dangerous when they took it. We have had good success in the past doing what Coach wants. If we can – please, Jesus – keep 5 OLs on the field as a unit most of the year and not get decimated like last year, then I think all will be well.

I get the surprise element of running on a typical passing down, and I like the ability to suck the D in and hit a quick throw to the AB, but I see a couple big issues with passing out of our base formation.

When you need a chunk of yards you need time for your receivers to get down the field. Our wide splits create great running lanes, but that is a lot of turf to defend by our O line in a developing pass play. I just think we would have a higher success rate if we used a 2 pt stance, or at least close up the splits and drop our linemen back so our guys could form a pocket. I would hate to expect our tackles to stop Attouchu on a 3rd and long when he is rushing the QB.

I just think it is a lot to ask of our guys.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Really hard to tell much in that mess but who says we won't have TWO monsoons to play in next yr..Gotta suckitup and play.10 fumbles is unexcusable-.hmmmm,it is almost like we have new QBs and Ctrs.
The DEf looked quick and aggressive.I said in Dec, Nealy should be All-conf. I picked Freeman as the top new DEF recruit just from film.I still think JHD is going to move to SDE in Fall when Whitehead shows up.Stargell is just not good enough.We have got get depth at DT,Cheeks at 240 was inside some last nite.It bothers me that with our weak passing game our DBs don't get tested enough in practice or last nite.
The Off - well -it was a tough night with elements and a def that knows your plays.-looked like playing VT at times.Reduced to Pop Warner league-run QB right and left.
Laskey is a HORSE.If he stays healthy,look out .Can ALMOST build an Off around him.
ALL the QBs proved they can run the ball.Griffen was the biggest surprise with his ability.If we just could run mid-line all day not at all unsure he might not be best of all incl JT. Speaking of that, until JT proves he can function with a very avg line(taking the hits and breaking tackles), I'm not giving him the top spot.
I watched Devine a few times and he looked lost mostly not hitting anyone..Glad others saw different..
Wow, Butker-54 with a wet field-that's what I call recruiting-if we had that level of talent some other places.....

new jacket404

Georgia Tech Fan
Looks like devine stamina is getting better.would like to see some football that is familiar to me use the big. Guy run behind him looked like he was good to clear 3_-4 yards. Ride his coat tail then break off .move the chains. They have to hold on to the ball .whenever devine did his job ,they turned the ball over. Spring game #good football appetizer(- the rain) *no days & off no injuries *

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
really hard to tell much in that mess but who says we won't have TWO monsoons to play in next yr..Gotta suckitup and play.10 fumbles is unexcusable-.hmmmm,it is almost like we have new QBs and Ctrs.
The DEf looked quick and aggressive.I said in Dec, Nealy should be All-conf. I picked Freeman as the top new DEF recruit just from film.I still think JHD is going to move to SDE in Fall when Whitehead shows up.Stargell is just not good enough.We have got get depth at DT,Cheeks at 240 was inside some last nite.It bothers me that with our weak passing game our DBs don't get tested enough in practice or last nite.
The Off - well -it was a tough night with elements and a def that knows your plays.-looked like playing VT at times.Reduced to Pop Warner league-run QB right and left.
Laskey is a HORSE.If he stays healthy,look out .Can ALMOST build an Off around him.
ALL the QBs proved they can run the ball.Griffen was the biggest surprise with his ability.If we just could run mid-line all day not at all unsure he might not be best of all incl JT. Speaking of that, until JT proves he can function with a very avg line(taking the hits and breaking tackles), I'm not giving him the top spot.
I watched Devine a few times and he looked lost mostly not hitting anyone..Glad others saw different..
Wow, Butker-54 with a wet field-that's what I call recruiting-if we had that level of talent some other places.....

Our depth at DT is fine this year...Gotsis, Green, Kitchen, Gamble, Kallon and Commissiong.

Kallon and Commissiong were both out last night.

Last edited by a moderator:

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched the spring game. As has been stated before, it's hard to tell because for every positive for one side it's a negative for the other. My gut feel is that the defense is getting better and there some playmakers starting to develop there. I'm really worried about our offense. Our interior line still struggles with blitzes in the B-gap and our RT is a liability. Further, our A-backs can't block well enough to give a clean perimeter for the outside run game to be established. In the passing game, the B-back cutting the outside man on the blind side literally never works. We need to try a different pass pro scheme, because it hasn't worked since Anthony Allen was here. Looks like next year we'll see more of the same from the offense with a slightly improved defense.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
really hard to tell much in that mess but who says we won't have TWO monsoons to play in next yr..Gotta suckitup and play.10 fumbles is unexcusable-.hmmmm,it is almost like we have new QBs and Ctrs.

Our depth at DT is fine this year...Gotsis, Green, Kitchen, Gamble, Kallon and Commissiong.

Kallon and Commissiong were both out last night.
I saw the same things with Devine. He was engaged a couple of times and he looked like a load to move but he looked lost many times.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
... Matt Jordan looked like Synjin Days did. Making his mind up that he was going to keep it no matter what. I'll give him a break though as he's only been running this system for a few weeks now. Was actually impressed with Brady Swilling. He looked much better on the mesh than the other 3 qbs. He's much more of a fluid athlete than Byerly. Bottom line...If JT can't beat out Byerly, we are going to see the same results we've been seeing.
I believe allot of mj's keepers were designed qb runs.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
my thoughts:

gut tells me the OL is just ok/bad again so tough to judge the DL or the OL for that matter. We have real problems at RT. On the individual level, I do think our C and LT will be ok...

On O I don't see any game changers or big playmakers vs tough FBS teams. JT needs to help provide some of that and maybe his threat will open it up for other guys. but right now in year six we still have not solved our 1-8 problem in talent.

I have said it for a few weeks, some laughed at me, but SDE is our biggest problem...this will be a real problem vs running teams like UGA down the line. Need to set that edge and stick. Not sure we have the bodies.

I do think TB is better than jaybo shaw...so he is an backup upgrade. But for me still a backup.

I agree with those that still think our pass pro scheme is bad....it is. It doesn't work, it simply does not put the players in the best positions to succeed. I still maintain we need to use more zone in the run game, which will help the pass game since you can use the scheme in either case (disguise)

Saw positives from Laskey and Wilson...Zach should be fine running. Still bad in blocking but that also is a scheme issue.

Can't judge the D at all really. We are playing vs our O. I have no clue about the back 5. Nealy seems active, and freeman has potential. Nice to see. I Johnson blew too many tackles

The D got too tired at the end...didn't like it. Reminded me of UGA.

BB - Same as past few years
OL - Same which is not good
WR - Same, which is to say few opportunities due to scheme so I don't see much more
AB - May be a step worse
QB - Could be better
Scheme - Same

DL - Hard to judge, gut tells me equal to last year
LB- I think we will play better
DB - Tough to tell, I think we may play better, but stats may not show it....DL has to hold up.

It really feels like alot of the same with Pauls teams....I hate the fact I recognize I am getting negative with the year over year teams. I am. It just feels like another 7 maybe 8 win year thank god for 2-3 really weak opponents.

I am trying to be positive...I really like JT. I really think there are some guys that can do more with a different system. I would love if paul just wrinkled the O a bit with a TE and some zone schemes....

I really like Gotsis. I think freeman has a chance. I like Nealy. I like a few of our DBs...young but athletes. The D talent to me seems better than the O talent (just look at the draft chances)

But, I just...see the same thing...

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I want to add, on the OL. I think the dropoff at RT is bigger than the backup LG. So my point is this. I would rather move Braun to RT, and put devine in at LG than start the current RT and Braun at LG.

Just sayin.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Right now Devine would not be able to go more than a series or two. Not enough stamina. Our best hope is that he drops 30 lbs between now and August and gets into good cardio condition. That is doubtful. Maybe Roberts will make it back and step in and help out. Other than that, I think we have to coach up Chamberlin and hope he gets it.

Go Jackets!