A few notes from practice Tuesday

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
He needed to pass some Summer classes to get into Purdue...I remember he got sometbinf like 1 D and 2 F's. After that he quit and I've never heard of him again.

He may have only got sometbinf like 1 D and 2F's but he had abikity.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The UNC 2012 game kinda killed CPJ's "Don't build him up" warnings! In all seriousness, and I was guilty myself, it's rare GT gets an elite star player, and when a player shows early signs of it, we kinda take off from there. These players REALLY need to work harder to meet our expectations...

Vad's game against UNC showed his talent which should have increased and matured. Instead he became tentative and erratic. So it goes.

We have six 4 stars on the team now (I think): Custis, JT, Shamire, Kallon and Autry and Shawn Green. Plus I give honorable mention to Smelter.

We need these guys to step up and dominate at their positions. In the superstar category of those we have seen, I only hold out hope for Kallon and Smelter. JT was ok last year but not as good as Vad. Green is a RSr and not a superstar. Shamire is on the OL and thus not a visible playmaker since he doesn't get the ball and can only block one person at a time.

Of those we haven't seen, Custis and Autry, I like Custis as our next superstar. Autry is preceded by a bunch of WRs who have disappointed. (Bebe became great after he left GT.) I have a football signed by JD which I am going to ask Custis to sign on fan day. I have a feeling he is going to be great.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Vad's game against UNC showed his talent which should have increased and matured. Instead he became tentative and erratic. So it goes.

We have six 4 stars on the team now (I think): Custis, JT, Shamire, Kallon and Autry and Shawn Green. Plus I give honorable mention to Smelter.

We need these guys to step up and dominate at their positions. In the superstar category of those we have seen, I only hold out hope for Kallon and Smelter. JT was ok last year but not as good as Vad. Green is a RSr and not a superstar. Shamire is on the OL and thus not a visible playmaker since he doesn't get the ball and can only block one person at a time.

Of those we haven't seen, Custis and Autry, I like Custis as our next superstar. Autry is preceded by a bunch of WRs who have disappointed. (Bebe became great after he left GT.) I have a football signed by JD which I am going to ask Custis to sign on fan day. I have a feeling he is going to be great.

You name 2 super stars that have yet to play a down of football at this level. lol...good grief!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@Nuke.....BayBay became great AFTER leaving Tech???.....You sir must not have seen him wearing white and gold then. Only time I saw him not great was in a single game...at the end of the year....for one play. Even with one bad drop that does nothing to refute that D. Thomas was a great WR in college. Very close to Calvin but with different attributes.

thwgjacket

If you are really implying that BeBe was not great until after he left Tech then you are either ignorant or just a troll. In 2009 he led the ACC in receiving yards, was 2nd in TD's and was 2nd in the nation in yards per catch. He was a semi finalist for the freaking Biletnikoff award in a ground game offense. Oh and he was a first round pick.

As far as four stars go, what service are you using? ESPN said we had 4 in the '14 class. But wait, let me guess, the ESPN star system doesn't count for you. Off the top of my head you left off Bostic. The difference in a high 3 star and a 4 star is minuscule. Ask Will Bryan, who according to another poster, is a 3-star on Rivals but in the position ranking is sandwiched between two 4-stars.

You say you hold out no hope for JT? The kid will be a RS-Sophomore. He's the same age as Kallon and has had more playing time but you have more hope for Kallon? What the hell are you talking about? I'm honestly not sure if it's your consistent lack of football knowledge or reasoning ability that gets to me. Either way you've already posted the "6 4-star" BS on here before. We get it bro, you can leave it alone.
Rant over.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GTNavyNuke: I am curious! Why would anyone want the signatures of famous people?

Good question. I like to have footballs of the GT teams with signatures. It is a way to have a visual memory. It sort of started when my daughter got CJs signature on a hat for me as a Christmas present. Then my son got his signature when he was going to school in Flint Michigan. Silly but fun for me.

As to the data I use, it is Scout data. I think I got the number of 4 stars on the team right. http://georgiatech.scout.com/a.z?s=140&p=9&c=8&yr=2014

And yes I was wrong about Bebe, he was great at GT. I was thinking of Stephen Hill who was amazing inconsistent for us and ranked as a 4 star.

Finally, the rest stands. I have great hopes for Custis based on his build, what I have seen in the HS tapes and the BB being the center of CPJs offense. I think he would have started last year except for his school being academically discredited.

JT was red shirted, played sporadically in his rFr year and wasn't good enough to overtake Vad. Maybe he clicks this year. I have some hope/expectation for JT but the same amount for Byerly.

Kallon on the other hand came from a non-football background and has made massive strides to play at this level. I watched him play during the games and saw the imporvement during the year even as our competition got better. So I've seen enough improvement to think could be a lot more there.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JT was red shirted, played sporadically in his rFr year and wasn't good enough to overtake Vad. Maybe he clicks this year. I have some hope/expectation for JT but the same amount for Byerly.
I hear this argument quite frequently on the boards, not just in this specific instance. A younger and inexperienced guy is supposedly no good if he can't overtake an older, more experienced player in front of him. In 2012, Jameis Winston couldn't unseat EJ Manuel as starter. Sure he was only a true freshman, but if the theory that talent is the only thing that matters, then why did this happen? Believe it or not, most guys improve over time.

In addition to this basic fact, the dynamics of the qb position last year were complicated to say the least. Nobody says Vad's problem was lack of raw athletic talent. His problem was he didn't trust or like the system and felt his passing talents (in his mind) were being wasted.

I think CPJ was walking a tight rope. He knew he had two talented qb's, one with limited experience and one with next to none. Vad's issues, I'm sure he felt, would get worked out over time and his full potential would eventually be realized. All of this assumed a full buy-in by Vad which we later learned was far from being the case. JT had issues of his own that needed to get worked out over time, but you only have one ball on game day. What's a coach to do?

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ talked about how people build players expectations up and then rip them when they don't reach that level... he was talking about Custis and he the hype he's getting now.

Coach needs to realize that fans do that. It's how we get excited about the games. This will never change so he should just shut up about it.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ was walking a tight rope. He knew he had two talented qb's, one with limited experience and one with next to none. Vad's issues, I'm sure he felt, would get worked out over time and his full potential would eventually be realized. All of this assumed a full buy-in by Vad which we later learned was far from being the case. JT had issues of his own that needed to get worked out over time, but you only have one ball on game day. What's a coach to do?

Cheese, sometimes your defense of coach is too much for even me(and I fully support him), but this quote from you is absolutely SPOT ON. From my own experience, you absolutely HAVE TO play the guy who gives you the best chance to win THAT DAY. I don't believe that Vad was actively trying to sabotage the team or being blatantly disrespectful, so I don't see any other choice than what coach did.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely true. I remember that day well. My youngest son got his autograph that day on a little stuffed Buzz doll. He has about 30 signatures on that thing he got at various practices, including Demaryius Thomas' autograph.

Funny story. My son was a big fan of James Butler and walked over underneath the shed where players were sitting down to take off their cleats after practice. He walked up to Butler and asked him to sign it. James signed it and then asked if he wanted the player beside him to sign it (pretty sure it was Bilbo but I'm not 100% positive). Logan said, "No...he hasn't earned it yet!" James Butler laughed so hard I thought he was going to fall on the ground. From that point on, every day he would see Logan at practice, he would walk over & give him a high five and start laughing again.
That's an awesome story!

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL! A true Tech fan!

Just thinking of it still makes me smile. It's also one more reason why I wish practices were still open because I miss times like that.

My son was about 8 at the time, I would guess. To this day, he still refuses to wear red.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear this argument quite frequently on the boards, not just in this specific instance. A younger and inexperienced guy is supposedly no good if he can't overtake an older, more experienced player in front of him. In 2012, Jameis Winston couldn't unseat EJ Manuel as starter. Sure he was only a true freshman, but if the theory that talent is the only thing that matters, then why did this happen? Believe it or not, most guys improve over time.

In addition to this basic fact, the dynamics of the qb position last year were complicated to say the least. Nobody says Vad's problem was lack of raw athletic talent. His problem was he didn't trust or like the system and felt his passing talents (in his mind) were being wasted.

Which is exactly why fans shouldn't panic when Custis is not starting this year. I read the other day on another site where he actually is behind Laskey and Connors.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Custis is going to be at minimal (excluding unforeseen injuries..dear god I hope not..) a very productive BB for us. I would love for him to beat everyone out and start his True FR year, but I would be ok with him getting some reps and playing back up to Laskey this year if Laskey is going to be more productive as a SR then Custis a True FR. Custis will still have his day in the sun for the next 2-3 years after this.

Now why Custis is going to be productive is he has naturally running ability and vision, a lot like his fellow Lovejoy alumni Tashard Choice, and Choice not having all the physical abilities in the world, was an extremely efficient and productive RB because of those two attributes. The A+ type BB has to have quick burst to get through the hole and then field vision on the 2nd level to make cuts and get by the secondary. Sims and Laskey both are/were quick through the mesh but neither has great field vision, I would put Laskey a little above Sims but not by much. Having that natural vision to find creases and cuts seperates a solid (B+) BB and an (A+) BB.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Custis is going to be at minimal (excluding unforeseen injuries..dear god I hope not..) a very productive BB for us. I would love for him to beat everyone out and start his True FR year, but I would be ok with him getting some reps and playing back up to Laskey this year if Laskey is going to be more productive as a SR then Custis a True FR. Custis will still have his day in the sun for the next 2-3 years after this.

THIS!!! (well stated GT B)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Now why Custis is going to be productive is he has naturally running ability and vision, a lot like his fellow Lovejoy alumni Tashard Choice, and Choice not having all the physical abilities in the world, was an extremely efficient and productive RB because of those two attributes. The A+ type BB has to have quick burst to get through the hole and then field vision on the 2nd level to make cuts and get by the secondary. Sims and Laskey both are/were quick through the mesh but neither has great field vision, I would put Laskey a little above Sims but not by much. Having that natural vision to find creases and cuts seperates a solid (B+) BB and an (A+) BB.
Neither Sims nor Laskey is quick in and out of cuts. Maybe Custis is, I dunno. Dwyer was and that, along with his sprinter's speed, allowed him to take dive plays to the house after making one guy miss. JT is the best at this that I have seen in a very long time. I think JT will take so much attention from the defense, it'll pay dividends for our Bbacks.

Aside: one interesting thing about JT is that he doesn't have to get outside to be effective. He's so quick, he can elude defenders in the middle of the field, then burst to open space. Can't wait to see him full go, full time!