A few notes from practice Tuesday

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
- Going to pads on Friday

- No Scrimmage this Saturday

- CPJ talked about how people build players expectations up and then rip them when they don't reach that level... he was talking about Custis and he the hype he's getting now.

- They think Custis will be good

- CPJ said Laskey isn't just going to give his job away and that he has abikity.

- They want Devine in the 330 range

- Hill likely out till Fall

- Freddie is healthy and CPJ expects a good competition between him and O'Reily.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
- Going to pads on Friday

- CPJ said Laskey isn't just going to give his job away and that he has abikity.

Oh crap, is it contagious? :eek:

Seriously though, I've been really intrigued by Burden since he signed. Looking forward to that battle.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know what PJ is saying about Custis, but you can't help but snicker a little. Why exactly is it that people have such high hopes for Custis? For me, it's because the coaches have shown huge confidence in him since he signed.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I know what PJ is saying about Custis, but you can't help but snicker a little. Why exactly is it that people have such high hopes for Custis? For me, it's because the coaches have shown huge confidence in him since he signed.

Huge confidence in him? Statements like "I think he can be a good player" doesn't mean much to me. Many fans thought Vad was going to be superman and look how it turned out. Patience and time will tell us how good players will be. CPJ said Vad had potential but still needed to learn quite a bit of things to successfully run the offense. I guess no one heard the "still needed to lean" comment.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Huge confidence in him? Statements like "I think he can be a good player" doesn't mean much to me. Many fans thought Vad was going to be superman and look how it turned out. Patience and time will tell us how good players will be. CPJ said Vad had potential but still needed to learn quite a bit of things to successfully run the offense. I guess no one heard the "still needed to lean" comment.

The UNC 2012 game kinda killed CPJ's "Don't build him up" warnings! In all seriousness, and I was guilty myself, it's rare GT gets an elite star player, and when a player shows early signs of it, we kinda take off from there. These players REALLY need to work harder to meet our expectations...

sl1m75

Georgia Tech Fan
Once the pads go on then we can make better determinations on the new guys, improvements from the returning guys, etc. You can look like and All-American in shorts but if you can't translate that to the pads then you will be watching the game like us fans.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
There is only one athlete attending Tech that I made a flat statement that he was going to be a star as soon as I saw him play a game, and that was Mark Price in basketball. I expect a lot of it was his schooling by his Dad who was a basketball coach, but it was obvious to me that Mark Price had all the moves and the smarts to go with them. It was his first game at Tech, but he already knew what to do on the court, and the talent was there.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm hoping Snoddy can earn some PT this year. Another example of being built up and as of yet not producing results on the field. Entering his 4th year, he may be running out of time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Remember, though, he also said the same thing about Stephen Hill before he ever stepped on the field. He got too much hype as the next great receiver.
CPJ is the quintessential dehyper. If he says a player is "pretty good" or "he did ok" it really means he's a beast.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
These comments were after Wednesday's practice, right?
Also, I think we need to recruit more players with abikity.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ is the quintessential dehyper. If he says a player is "pretty good" or "he did ok" it really means he's a beast.

Using that logic - It seemed like every time he was asked about Vad last year during preseason his response included praise for how good Justin Thomas is.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Using that logic - It seemed like every time he was asked about Vad last year during preseason his response included praise for how good Justin Thomas is.

That was dehyping, but of Vad. Basically saying that we have other QBs who have comparable talent, thus reducing Vad's star status.