A few interesting notes over at Navy

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
From Coach Ken's talk today relayed by Navy SID @ScottStras

@NAVYCoachKen on only using 12 of 15 spring dates: "Want the guys to stay fresh and healthy. Going through Academy is tough enough.

"We are going to get better this spring without beating guys up. Sometimes coaches do things just because others do them."

"I don't think we will ever have another spring game. Not necessary. We aren't Ohio State that draws 80K for a spring game"

@NAVYCoachKen on recruiting: We will take as many fast guys as we can. We don't care how tall you are, but we care how fast you are

The change to @UnderArmour has helped our recruiting. Recruits love the uniforms. They have been great to us. #NavyFootball

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
No spring game? I've always thought that spring games are necessary for player evaluation since some perform differently in game situations.

They'll have practices and scrimmages. They probably just won't have a special "Spring Game" with refs and quarters etc for the fans.

Jackethawk

Jolly Good Fellow
Spring games are overrated. You know who can and can't get the job done from live situations in practice. An actual spring game is more about the fans and a reward for the players.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
No spring game? I've always thought that spring games are necessary for player evaluation since some perform differently in game situations.
We have several scrimmages during spring (on saturdays). They probably have something like that too.

The weird part is that they are only using 12 of the 15 opportunities to practice.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Navy-OSU-Aug30-2014-02.jpg

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I really think they would do us justice in having a "classic Tech look" with a new updated feel. I would be really excited if we went to under armour, but wins are more important.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
used to be spring games were for walk ons also, as many got to play significant downs and was a reward for their hard work

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Apparently, in the grand scheme of things it's really, really, really easy for people to forget about Navy. Flip it all those kids had the national champs on the ropes for 3 quarters. I remember the CBSEC crew going nuts about how their roster had grown, physically and athletically, in a few seasons. They are a real program and will contend to win their conference.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
The only problem with those unis is:

The shade of white on the helmets doesn't match the white in the unis.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They'll have practices and scrimmages. They probably just won't have a special "Spring Game" with refs and quarters etc for the fans.

Not sure about the refs. For example, we have refs for saturday scrimmage even though not really a game situation. Really what makes it enjoyable for me to watch (not that there are people that call penalties, but that i think it gives it an air of legitimacy)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just went over to Navy's site. Their football recruiting suffered this year; only 64 commits. They had 72 in 2013. Big pool - almost all two stars - to separate the talent out of. You'd think Coach N would want the extra practice days just to take a look at everybody. (NB: everybody at the academies is on a full boat scholarship and their "endowment" will handle the expenses, hence no limits on recruiting.)

Then again, I'd also bet that Navy has a humongous drop-out rate. Maybe he likes to see how many new recruits he has after their plebe year.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Back in the 50s and 60s didn't major colleges have ties to prep schools to prepare incoming freshman athletes academically while playing athletics at a higher than high school level. Seems I remember Auburn with ties to Baylor prep in Chattanooga. Also thought Gordon military may have had some ties.