A comparison of conference schedules

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So I decided to try and somewhat quantify the difference in conference schedules this year. I decided to break the ACC into 3 groups. Group A was FSU and UVA. Group C was Pitt, ND, Wake, Miami, and BC and Group B was the rest. It's not a perfect breakdown as ND and Pitt are significantly better than the bottom 3 imo and the middle 8 has a lot of gradience, but there wasn't a good place to draw a line to split things up in the middle of that group imo. You could split between UNC and Cuse and have two groups of 5 with a bottom 3 and a top 2 but that would feel somewhat weird with only a half game separating them and Cuse having just won. Oh well. Anyways, Here are the results. a * means they have one game left against that group. This isn't accounting for things like road records so that is a variable missing as well. I did this somewhat quick so there might be mistakes.

TeamRecord against Group ARecord against Group BRecord against Group C
FSU1-05-35-0*
UVA0-16-3*6-0
VT1-02-36-1
UL0-1*4-24-1
GT1-35-34-0*
Clemson1-25-43-0*
UNC1-24-4*4-0
Cuse0-15-44-2
NCSU1-22-57-1
Duke1-04-5*4-3
Pitt0-24-5*2-2
ND0-2*1-85-1
Wake0-20-10*3-2
Miami0-33-70-5*
BC0-20-62-2*

Keep in mind since teams can't play themselves it slants the expected number of games against teams from the group you are in. FSU and UVA could play a max of 2 against group A while everyone else 4 as an example.

My take aways - Group A is pretty balanced. UVA will end with having played 2 extra games against group B. FSU did get UVA at home, and beat them by 21. Not a lot of difference.

Group B. Most teams played group A 2 or 3 times which is what was expected. GT is the only team, in the entire conference, to play 4 games against that group. VT, Duke, and Cuse lucked out in this category with only 1 game. UL will play a second game against UVA saturday I believe. Nobody won more than one game against group A. Against group C you would expect between 5 and 6 games based on the number of games played this year in conference in total. UNC and Clemson will have gotten the shortest ends of the stick here. VT, Cuse, NCSU and Duke fortunate. NCSU especially at 8 games, and VT especially since they played a low number overall. Against B group, you would expect around 8 games which is how most teams played out. UL at 5 is reasonable considering they have only played 5 games. NCSU has the clear worst record against this group. GT and UL have the best records.

So as expected, VT is significantly helped by a small number of group A games and group B games and a large number of group C games. NCSU was helped by a large number of group C games and probably the worst team of this group. Honestly, looking over it, it'd probably better to do the split I was talking about because there does look to be more of a clear cutoff when looking at it like this.

I know I'm biased but I think GT and UL are the two teams with reasonable arguments for being the best in group B, and to me GT would be the clear winner except for the head to head. VT is more of an unknown than a proven bad. They're still basically .500 against the middle group and did get a win against group B.

I don't really care much about group C. Pitt separates itself with the record against group B followed by ND separating itself with its record against group C. Sort of reinforces the different splitting of teams. Might go back and look at that later.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So I decided to try and somewhat quantify the difference in conference schedules this year. I decided to break the ACC into 3 groups. Group A was FSU and UVA. Group C was Pitt, ND, Wake, Miami, and BC and Group B was the rest. It's not a perfect breakdown as ND and Pitt are significantly better than the bottom 3 imo and the middle 8 has a lot of gradience, but there wasn't a good place to draw a line to split things up in the middle of that group imo. You could split between UNC and Cuse and have two groups of 5 with a bottom 3 and a top 2 but that would feel somewhat weird with only a half game separating them and Cuse having just won. Oh well. Anyways, Here are the results. a * means they have one game left against that group. This isn't accounting for things like road records so that is a variable missing as well. I did this somewhat quick so there might be mistakes.

FSU1-05-35-0*
UVA0-16-3*6-0
VT1-02-36-1
UL0-1*4-24-1
GT1-35-34-0*
Clemson1-25-43-0*
UNC1-24-4*4-0
Cuse0-15-44-2
NCSU1-22-57-1
Duke1-04-5*4-3
Pitt0-24-5*2-2
ND0-2*1-85-1
Wake0-20-10*3-2
Miami0-33-70-5*
BC0-20-62-2*

Keep in mind since teams can't play themselves it slants the expected number of games against teams from the group you are in. FSU and UVA could play a max of 2 against group A while everyone else 4 as an example.

My take aways - Group A is pretty balanced. UVA will end with having played 2 extra games against group B. FSU did get UVA at home, and beat them by 21. Not a lot of difference.

Group B. Most teams played group A 2 or 3 times which is what was expected. GT is the only team, in the entire conference, to play 4 games against that group. VT, Duke, and Cuse lucked out in this category with only 1 game. UL will play a second game against UVA saturday I believe. Nobody won more than one game against group A. Against group C you would expect between 5 and 6 games based on the number of games played this year in conference in total. UNC and Clemson will have gotten the shortest ends of the stick here. VT, Cuse, NCSU and Duke fortunate. NCSU especially at 8 games, and VT especially since they played a low number overall. Against B group, you would expect around 8 games which is how most teams played out. UL at 5 is reasonable considering they have only played 5 games. NCSU has the clear worst record against this group. GT and UL have the best records.

So as expected, VT is significantly helped by a small number of group A games and group B games and a large number of group C games. NCSU was helped by a large number of group C games and probably the worst team of this group. Honestly, looking over it, it'd probably better to do the split I was talking about because there does look to be more of a clear cutoff when looking at it like this.

I know I'm biased but I think GT and UL are the two teams with reasonable arguments for being the best in group B, and to me GT would be the clear winner except for the head to head. VT is more of an unknown than a proven bad. They're still basically .500 against the middle group and did get a win against group B.

I don't really care much about group C. Pitt separates itself with the record against group B followed by ND separating itself with its record against group C. Sort of reinforces the different splitting of teams. Might go back and look at that later.
This is awesome. Thank you for doing this.

I’d only play devil’s advocate by challenging the definition of “luck”. If ACC standings is the end game, then teams got luckier with easier schedules. If NCAAT and quad 1 opportunities is the end game, it could be argued that those same teams were unlucky.

For example, I guarantee ‘Cuse wishes Louisville did not cancel on them twice and that the FSU game was played. They lost two quad 1 win opportunities as a result, which is an obvious gap on their resume.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That is true. I made this post in response to thinking about ACCT seedings and how they were affected by conference schedules so I wasn't really thinking about Q1 and Q2 wins for the sake of the NCAAT.

Deleted member 2897

FSU1-05-35-0*
UVA0-16-3*6-0
VT1-02-36-1
UL0-1*4-24-1
GT1-35-34-0*
Clemson1-25-43-0*
UNC1-24-4*4-0
Cuse0-15-44-2
NCSU1-22-57-1
Duke1-04-5*4-3
Pitt0-24-5*2-2
ND0-2*1-85-1
Wake0-20-10*3-2
Miami0-33-70-5*
BC0-20-62-2*

I know this probably took a lot of time, and I really appreciate it.

I did a much more simple version of this before we played Syracuse to point out our scheduling differences. Syracuse has played 8 games against the bottom 6 teams while we have played 3. Imagine having 5 more games on our schedule where we go 5-0 or even 4-1 compared to having to play Florida State, Virginia, and Clemson twice (6 games) when Syracuse played only 2 games against those 3.

Its incredibly unbalanced.

If we shifted 2 games in that top group to them (like 1 against Virginia and 1 against FSU) and they shifted 2 of their bottom games to us in return (like the 2 that got canceled against BC), they'd go from 9-7 to 7-9 and we'd go from 10-6 to 12-4. That would put us in 1st place in the league.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I know this probably took a lot of time, and I really appreciate it.

I did a much more simple version of this before we played Syracuse to point out our scheduling differences. Syracuse has played 8 games against the bottom 6 teams while we have played 3. Imagine having 5 more games on our schedule where we go 5-0 or even 4-1 compared to having to play Florida State, Virginia, and Clemson twice (6 games) when Syracuse played only 2 games against those 3.

Its incredibly unbalanced.

If we shifted 2 games in that top group to them (like 1 against Virginia and 1 against FSU) and they shifted 2 of their bottom games to us in return (like the 2 that got canceled against BC), they'd go from 9-7 to 7-9 and we'd go from 10-6 to 12-4. That would put us in 1st place in the league.
Good news. If you were to re-do the bottom 6 as of today, Duke would now be part of that group.

I think @lv20gt's groupings make sense based on today's standings.

We still got unlucky with UVA and FSU twice, relative to ACC standings. But I'm glad we got FSU twice for NCAAT purposes.

Deleted member 2897

Good news. If you were to re-do the bottom 6 as of today, Duke would now be part of that group.

I think @lv20gt's groupings make sense based on today's standings.

We still got unlucky with UVA and FSU twice, relative to ACC standings. But I'm glad we got FSU twice for NCAAT purposes.

No, Duke is listed as being in the bottom 6, but they're not. They have the same record as NC State and have the head to head win over them, so the bottom 6 are NC State, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Miami, and Boston College. We've still only played 3 games against the bottom 6. That's less than half the games it should be if the schedule were balanced.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If i redid it I was going to go with a 2-5-5-3 group because I do think ND and Pitt are a step above the other bottom 3 but Cuse, Duke, and NCSU are below the other group B because of the losses to group c. So I'd group those 5 together and have 4 groups. But ill probably just wait to redo it after all the games are played

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
No, Duke is listed as being in the bottom 6, but they're not. They have the same record as NC State and have the head to head win over them, so the bottom 6 are NC State, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Miami, and Boston College. We've still only played 3 games against the bottom 6. That's less than half the games it should be if the schedule were balanced.
It was a joke at Duke's expense, sorry.

In all seriousness though, unless Duke upsets North Carolina on Saturday, they will indeed finish in the bottom 6.

Deleted member 2897

It was a joke at Duke's expense, sorry.

In all seriousness though, unless Duke upsets North Carolina on Saturday, they will indeed finish in the bottom 6.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't be upset if Duke beat UNCheat Saturday. If we don't beat Wake Forest, UNCheat could move ahead of us in the standings.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

FSU1-05-35-0*
UVA0-16-3*6-0
VT1-02-36-1
UL0-1*4-24-1
GT1-35-34-0*
Clemson1-25-43-0*
UNC1-24-4*4-0
Cuse0-15-44-2
NCSU1-22-57-1
Duke1-04-5*4-3
Pitt0-24-5*2-2
ND0-2*1-85-1
Wake0-20-10*3-2
Miami0-33-70-5*
BC0-20-62-2*

Us and Wake had about the same type of schedule and wake is just God awful