A chat with Geoff Collins (Free)

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Those quotes are extremely difficult to read through. Reads like he used an audio to text converter or something.

Deleted member 2897

I loved the comments around how Clayton, Allen, and Ezzard conducted themselves. Our team is truly full of a bunch of genuinely good young men.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Those quotes are extremely difficult to read through. Reads like he used an audio to text converter or something.
I agree. It’s like Kelly plugged his audio recording into a text converter and didn’t even try to bother editing it. I enjoyed reading what Geoff had to say however. I guess this was a more informal setting and so he laid off some of his buzz words, maybe some people on this board can appreciate that. CGC and staff definitely have a plan, and I believe the difference on the field in 2020 will be night and day to 2019, especially is most of the key pieces stay healthy. I’ve said this before, but regardless of whether or not he is the right guy to make X’s and O’s decisions on gameday for the future, he is definitely the right guy to be “CEO” of the program right now. He’s helped change the perception of Georgia Tech football to high school players and coaches in the state and the entire southeast in just 12 months, after a 3-9 season.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It was a good read. There isn't a ton of depth to it, and you know what we're going to get with CGC. I'm continually impressed though at how he uses his support staff to tie up details and place trust in them so he can leverage his strengths. I think what he says about the positive working relationships is self-evident to be true. He's not the defensive CEO type like Saban or Kirby firing back when a deficiency is pointed out. Personality just doesn't seem compatible with a top-down style.

How he put Marco's story as a model for attracting students was great.

He had effusive praise for our transfers that sat a year and labeled Jahaziel as an NFL DT. I'll believe these things when I see them, but it gets the juices flowing and at least indicates they can make a difference. Our roster is going to be in way better shape next year. We'll see if the boys will be ready to gel as a team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He seems legitimately optimistic about what we've got coming in and coming back next year.

Between transfers eligible next season, and recruits we are signing this class, we have NINE 4 or 5 stars available to add to the team next season.

Yeah, I'd say CGC should be optimistic.

Oh, and recruiting still isn't over. We have a really good chance at adding 2 more 4 stars, possibly more.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Good read. Particularly liked this part:

“So when I go for the break, because this will be the first time in a long time that I've had a Christmas break, and we won't have one (a season without a bowl game) moving forward.
I stopped and read this comment three times and decided I'm taking it with a grain of salt given how the entire interview was transcribed. Prior to this, CGC has been committed to focusing on process rather than results thus far in his public comments. For him to make this statement in this type of interview struck me as odd timing. Not debating right or wrong, just seems out of character.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I stopped and read this comment three times and decided I'm taking it with a grain of salt given how the entire interview was transcribed. Prior to this, CGC has been committed to focusing on process rather than results thus far in his public comments. For him to make this statement in this type of interview struck me as odd timing. Not debating right or wrong, just seems out of character.

You might be right. It was definitely transcribed poorly and Collins preaches process.

I think both things can be true though. I think he can preach process and be confident we won't miss another bowl game. Another thing he has said is that their processes work or STTE. I believe that he is confident in the foundations laid this year, knows what he has coming back, the direction the program is heading, and believes we will be much better due to that. At least that's what I'm choosing to believe.

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan
It was a good read. There isn't a ton of depth to it, and you know what we're going to get with CGC. I'm continually impressed though at how he uses his support staff to tie up details and place trust in them so he can leverage his strengths. I think what he says about the positive working relationships is self-evident to be true. He's not the defensive CEO type like Saban or Kirby firing back when a deficiency is pointed out. Personality just doesn't seem compatible with a top-down style.

How he put Marco's story as a model for attracting students was great.

He had effusive praise for our transfers that sat a year and labeled Jahaziel as an NFL DT. I'll believe these things when I see them, but it gets the juices flowing and at least indicates they can make a difference. Our roster is going to be in way better shape next year. We'll see if the boys will be ready to gel as a team.
I like that he remains positive and refrains from making negative personal comments about the officials and other coaches even when they would be justified . He rarely blames players but instead takes things on himself unlike CPJ who always said things like : "I had the right play called but they didn't block it right."

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Takeaways: (going by what he said and hinted at)
Sign a full class: 25 + EE’s + 3 transfers
Needs a bigger staff
Getting the roster balanced and processed is a priority
Ezzard was the best receiver we faced week end and week out.
The article would get an F from all of my English teachers.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Read it as immediate future, not inclusive of next off season.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Takeaways: (going by what he said and hinted at)
Sign a full class: 25 + EE’s + 3 transfers
Needs a bigger staff
Getting the roster balanced and processed is a priority
Ezzard was the best receiver we faced week end and week out.
The article would get an F from all of my English teachers.
Week *in*

Sincerely,

Your English teachers

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
My biggest takeaway was the infusion of big mature bodies into next year's team.

Clayton and Jahaziel are big mature bodies to reinforce the DL. Antwaan Owens back. Johnson with over 20 starts at TN to OL. A lot of the younger guys baptized by fire back on both lines. Cooper back on OL. Top 200 Allen to secondary. Knight, Charlie Thomas, Jordan Swilling and another year of Curry back at LB. Both CBs back and big hitting safeties back.

We wont be nearly as young and small next year as this year. Will be better and deeper at QB, WR (add Ezzard, Camp, maybe a frosh phenom). RB is set and I think J. Griffin takes it up a notch to provide a one -two punch with JP Mason.

May still have a mature guy or two via transfer. But schedule is brutal and still A LOT of holes and development needed.

Still thinking year 3 is the breakout year but we do have a legit shot at a bowl next year if we avoid the injury bug. Starting to see the horses.