A change in approach to coaching staffs/programs verbiage?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
First, there should have been an attention to detail from the start. CGC made a big deal of running the two huddles in practice and wondered aloud why others don't do it. (I looked at it as another of his gimmicks). Now, it doesn't appear we're doing it, in order to put more focus on details.
Actually, if there was ever time to do that, this would be the time to do it. And pay attention to detail. Look at the spring roster from 2019 to now. And with all the transfers he's brought in, they could probably benefit from that prior approach he had.
And as for spring practice last year, not many other people had one, either.

CPJ did the same

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would posit that most other teams didn't need that Spring and Summer practices as much as we did considering where we were in our scheme and technique transition. They're still football players and can handle transitions in football, but techniques need to be motor memory and that requires reps, reps, reps. And, yes, we were learning totally new techniques that our guys had not practiced in years, if ever.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Well I do see them taking a more critical approach now, and it's not all about selling the culture and what separates the way we do things from other programs. Anointing Sims as starter isn't the best example of this as QB is just not the same as any other position on the field, but I think what you notice is showing up in other places too.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
First, there should have been an attention to detail from the start. CGC made a big deal of running the two huddles in practice and wondered aloud why others don't do it. (I looked at it as another of his gimmicks). Now, it doesn't appear we're doing it, in order to put more focus on details.
Actually, if there was ever time to do that, this would be the time to do it. And pay attention to detail. Look at the spring roster from 2019 to now. And with all the transfers he's brought in, they could probably benefit from that prior approach he had.
I think early on (last year and 2019) they were more bent on getting all the new stuff installed with all new players. Now, roughly half the roster or more has been here with the staff for 2 years, so they don't have to install so much, and they can hone in on details more.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I remain optimistic about CGC. I do think he could have done better in years 1 and 2 for sure. That said, I was very pleased with the growth from year 1 to 2. I think he is just a guy that we need to be a patient with -- not so much because of the transition from the option, but because he is still a young coach that is learning on the job (along with a relatively inexperienced coaching staff).

I am originally from Lexington, KY and therefore also follow Kentucky as well. I see CGC as similar to Mark Stoops. A guy that raised the profile and recruiting immediately, but took some time to "learn on the job" before he really elevated the team, cut out a lot of the early mistakes, and started winning more consistently. Stoops was on the hot seat after year 3 and almost fired, but now he is a guy mentioned with bigger jobs when they get open. It just took some time and patience. I see the same potential for CGC.

If we can see a similar level of improvement from year 3 over 2 that we saw from year 2 over 1, I will be very bullish looking forward!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I remain optimistic about CGC. I do think he could have done better in years 1 and 2 for sure. That said, I was very pleased with the growth from year 1 to 2. I think he is just a guy that we need to be a patient with -- not so much because of the transition from the option, but because he is still a young coach that is learning on the job (along with a relatively inexperienced coaching staff).

I am originally from Lexington, KY and therefore also follow Kentucky as well. I see CGC as similar to Mark Stoops. A guy that raised the profile and recruiting immediately, but took some time to "learn on the job" before he really elevated the team, cut out a lot of the early mistakes, and started winning more consistently. Stoops was on the hot seat after year 3 and almost fired, but now he is a guy mentioned with bigger jobs when they get open. It just took some time and patience. I see the same potential for CGC.

If we can see a similar level of improvement from year 3 over 2 that we saw from year 2 over 1, I will be very bullish looking forward!
Stoops has 4 losing seasons and 3 average seasons in 8 seasons as a Head coach, including 2020. His lone standout season was 10 wins in 2018, 3 years ago. He has a losing record overall.

I sure hope that's not the train we are on.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I came under football coaches where such stuff was looked on as a childish distraction from the job at hand. Consequently, the less, the better, imho.

But … this seems to be part of what you get with Collins. If he thinks he needs it to succeed, so be it. Oh, and all this ATL business was always BS. No coach goes into a game without a starting lineup and an idea of who's up next at every position.
I agree. It is hard to discuss real world football without mentioning starters, playing time, special teams, substitutes, and your traditional lingo.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Somewhere between 3-6 wins. 5 most likely. The product they put on the field will probably be borderline unwatchable. I hope I am wrong. But the recruiter who is trying to coach has brought Tech Football down to the level B*** L****. I dont see any relief this year either. Fortunately BB is looking good. I will buy season tickets this year. I love the advantage CJP brings with his defense style and take care of the ball. But Tech FB. It is so sad! The fans who measure success by recruiting rankings instead of results are killing this program. I hate that the recruiter has killed me being a fan of Tech FB, along with a huge swath of existing fans and he has stopped new fans joining us. The damage the recruiter is doing spreads to all aspects of Tech FB and will take a looong time to repair.
I know what you are saying but you can't win big without big talent unless you are the greatest coach in history.If there is not definite improvement this yr (not so much wins but being competitive in EVERY game,) THEN blast him.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
You do know that Pastner coached GT teams finished 11th, 13th, and 10th in his first 3 years. He also went 12-24 in year 2 and 3 in the ACC and 27-37 overall.

I find it interesting that you’re so fond of a coach who by all accounts was bad and on the hot seat early on while at the same time crapping on another coach who is off to a slow start.

Honestly the only thing is sad is fans who had unrealistic expectations and continue to bash the program because we aren’t running the TO anymore.

The game of football is won at the LOS and with QB play. Our already undersized OL was decimated by injuries in year 1 and we didn’t have a legit qb option. Our DL was severely undersized as well.

In year two our OL was healthy but still not the quality you need at this level and we started a true freshman at QB (with limited spring practice, no summer, and shortened fall camp) behind that OL.

Our DL was also beat up and again still undersized.

We should have the pieces to start making significant progress across the LOS (assuming we stay healthy) this year. We also return a QB for a full spring, summer and fall. If we still stink after this year, it’s fair to say some changes may need to be made.

But to call our coach “the recruiter” is childish at best. That “recruiter” has brought more talent, size, and speed to GT in his short time here than that (to use a childish analogy about our last coach) OL coach/offensive coordinator did in his whole time here.

Disclaimer: I’m not a CPJ hater before y’all jump on me. I was a big fan early, but was ready to see him go when he did. Please don’t focus on the last line and miss the rest of the post.
CJP inherited a roster considered to be the worst in the Power 6 conferences. Sasquatch gave him a goal of 5 years to rebuild the talent, team and to make the NCAA tournament, which he just managed to meet this year. His record overall is irrelevant, he has done what he was brought in to do. The football team is sort of in the same boat with the offensive transition. I haven't heard any goals for football, but I would hope CGC can give the fans something to be excited about in 4 or 5 years like CJP has this year in basketball.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
CJP inherited a roster considered to be the worst in the Power 6 conferences. Sasquatch gave him a goal of 5 years to rebuild the talent, team and to make the NCAA tournament, which he just managed to meet this year. His record overall is irrelevant, he has done what he was brought in to do. The football team is sort of in the same boat with the offensive transition. I haven't heard any goals for football, but I would hope CGC can give the fans something to be excited about in 4 or 5 years like CJP has this year in basketball.
That’s my whole point. I was merely pointing out the irony in the OP’s point of view.

I’d say both coaches walked into severely under talented teams and have had to build them up.

Pastner just has a few years head start on Collins. Our roster looks significantly different going into year 3 than it did when he got here. Results will follow.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I don't know a lot about it, but it has always appeared to me that the first two years for this coaching staff was to get through the year coming out the other end with good moral and attitude on the squad leaving the impression with recruits that this was a really good destination place to be and to get developmental players that could begin to turn this ship around. It seems so many people on here just have no idea how bad a shape our program was in when it came to having players of P5 winning caliber. We were loaded with young players in the trenches both sides of the ball that looked to me like they needed to be playing at one of the military academies.
I went last Sat and watched and I'm seeing for the first time, length, size, speed, athleticism that looks P5 caliber mixed in with academy looking type players.
Just my opinion, believe we will be improved, but as has been mentioned the record may not be great, maybe the hardest schedule in the country, I'm guessing we surprise and win a game or two that no one thought we could win and become bowl eligible.
Think it will be very important for our QBs spending time this summer with our receivers/backs in 7 on 7 workouts and other timing practices, Sims appears to be a tad late on his throws when I watch him. This was mentioned on here last week and that is what I saw while watching last week.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Stoops has 4 losing seasons and 3 average seasons in 8 seasons as a Head coach, including 2020. His lone standout season was 10 wins in 2018, 3 years ago. He has a losing record overall.

I sure hope that's not the train we are on.

For context, 4 average seasons and 1 great season in the last 5 is pretty darn good at UK. He is 49-50 at UK, despite going 12-24 his first three season. Only coaches at UK to have .500 or above record since WWII?: Blanton Collier and some guy named Bear Bryant. He is 37-26 over the last 5 years (after his first three year learning curve). He has taken UK to five straight bowl games with three wins in a row in the Citrus, Belk, and Gator last year. He broke the 31-game losing streak against UF, first winning SEC season since 1977, first New Year's Bowl for first time in 40 years, first UK SEC "Coach of the Year" since 1983, first win in Knoxville since 1984, two additional 500 SEC seasons (equaling the number of SEC .500 seasons in the 17 prior years), won at UL for the first time in a decade (beating Lamar Jackson's team), etc. Currently has a top-10 rated recruiting class.

If CGC can improve Tech by the same amount Stoops improved UK (relative to each of their historical success), I think we will all be very happy.