A Bruce Feldman tweet on CPJ

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
I believed yesterday this report was erroneous and bad journalism by reporting something either too quick or too hersay.

Today i believe the report by feldman was reported too quick but has some validity to it, despite what guys like Garrett tweeted.

Obviously we will never know for sure unless paul does get bought out. But today my opinion has now changed from yesterday. I am certain paul is unhappy here with how the school operates vs what they told him during hiring. And i am certain people have discussed buyout. I am not certain paul has requested to be bought out.
When GoL left so did Garrett's inside info

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
When GoL left so did Garrett's inside info

Not true at all.

Gregg is very good friends with CPJ, they hangout quite often and I have seen them sitting with each other at GT basketball games. I talk to him every now and then and he is still very much inside GT.

Yellow Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
You do realize you included an 11 win season, ACC Championship, and played for another, right?
In the last 4 years PJ has won 2 big games (Clemson 3 years ago & USC) out of the 53 that have been played during that time frame--this is really, really poor.
For a long time now, he has been a very unsuccessful head coach for us.
PJ should just leave with all of the money that we have over paid him.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Just curious what "negativity" is? If we don't follow the straight and narrow and be a cheerleader because we have a different opinion, are we negative?
There's a huge difference between constructive and destructive criticism. Typically the loudest voices come from the people with the most complaints and often sabotage constructive discussions. It doesn't take long for members of this community to identify those with nothing but an agenda and it's no surprise to me why there have been an increase in personal attacks here.

Everyone will be on the same playing field here in terms of warnings and moderator actions. Everyone needs to behave themselves. If you feel that you are being personally attacked, hit the "Report" link and we'll take care of it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not true at all.

Gregg is very good friends with CPJ, they hangout quite often and I have seen them sitting with each other at GT basketball games. I talk to him every now and then and he is still very much inside GT.

Yes they are buddies. And i know why and what gregg tweeted but i am also not sure, because gregg is a donor, and a big one, that paul confides in him vs just friends. I believe the latter. They are buds but there is just enough distance due to greggs AA status

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I'll play pure speculation mode:
Can you imagine CPJ getting frustrated in a conversation and saying, "Then, buy me out! Just buy me out!" Or, "Then, they should just buy me out!"

Now, anyone who has heard a CPJ press conference and knows how terse he gets when he's frustrated would recognize such language for what it is. He's acknowledging that that's always their option if they don't like what he's doing or saying. It wouldn't be an expression of his desire that he be bought out.

While I think it's possible, maybe likely, that somebody fed Feldman bad info. It's also possible that somebody misunderstood or took out of context what was actually said.

Again, I'm just speculating, but the notion that CPJ would want to be bought-out just seems way out of character for him. I agree with Eric that CPJ would equate that attitude with being a quitter.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I find it odd that the previous AD, who it seemed like he kept the information flow outside the Athletic department on lockdown (think not hearing about the whole BeyBey investigation and loss of the 2009 ACC Championship news until it was announced), is now gone, and all of a sudden it seems like the craziest rumors are starting to come out.

I'm not saying the present administration has anything to do with anything, but man I can't think of a crazier week in GT news.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not speculating. I am just saying i have info everything short of claiming PJ asked for a buyout. That part i dont believe i
I do agree with this. Especially recruiting info.

one reason Greg stopped was first he and chan were not close, but second he is now a big time $$ donor an they HAVE to be less involved due to NCAA rules....

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay, I'll play pure speculation mode:
Can you imagine CPJ getting frustrated in a conversation and saying, "Then, buy me out! Just buy me out!" Or, "Then, they should just buy me out!"

Now, anyone who has heard a CPJ press conference and knows how terse he gets when he's frustrated would recognize such language for what it is. He's acknowledging that that's always their option if they don't like what he's doing or saying. It wouldn't be an expression of his desire that he be bought out.

While I think it's possible, maybe likely, that somebody fed Feldman bad info. It's also possible that somebody misunderstood or took out of context what was actually said.

Again, I'm just speculating, but the notion that CPJ would want to be bought-out just seems way out of character for him. I agree with Eric that CPJ would equate that attitude with being a quitter.
Not gonna lie. I'm almost certain this ks what happened. CPJ got overly frustrated just like everybody does and said sething that he didn't actually mean. you'd be hard-pressed to find someone whobhasnt done this

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I confess that I heard the same thing Feldman tweeted yesterday last week but I would never say a word about something that serious. My first thought when I saw the thread on Feldman was who the hell told him? It's not something I felt should be put out there for public consumption. Let the powers that be handle it. If he wants out then fine. That's the AD's job. After thinking about it I think it's possible (my opinion only) that maybe it was put to the media to try and expedite the process of negotiating a buyout for a coach that has had enough. As for Johnson's response what else is he going to say. What you guys need to be asking yourselves is what does Bobinski think? Wait, nevermind. He has been in hiding for months. The silence is deafening.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In the last 4 years PJ has won 2 big games (Clemson 3 years ago & USC) out of the 53 that have been played during that time frame--this is really, really poor.
For a long time now, he has been a very unsuccessful head coach for us.
PJ should just leave with all of the money that we have over paid him.
The VT, FSU, UGA games weren't big wins? I admit I'm disappointed there haven't been more but come on now.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I find it hard to believe Feldman would report this information based on a rumor from a janitor. As a journalist, Feldman's most important asset is his credibility. If he reports something blatantly untrue, he has damaged himself severely and gained what? Momentary attention, which he does not need, being an already well-known sports journalist. What you propose is theoretically possible, but too improbable for me to take seriously.

I don't usually like to post, but this one really gets me.

You're fundamentally misunderstanding twitter and modern journalism. Dude gets a lead, and immediately fears getting scooped because if he takes time to verify, someone less scrupulous can just tweet it. His juicy credit evaporates in seconds.

This is the reality for twitter and even 24 hour live news. Why would respected news outlets report on widespread rape and looting in Katrina without verifying? How about the 77 ethnicities of the boston bomber reported as being reported in the first few hours?

Don't let your opinion so blind you that you find