A brief look at the 2013 recruiting class

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Correct, you string players along. EVERYONE in the NCAA does it including TECH today!!! You then allow for 1-2 more committments than slots knowing u will have attrition. GOL did this every year...never once had a problem. Why? Because you always have 2-3 walkons on ship that you can pull on a yearly basis in the event that you do have to take them if attrition doesn't happen as predicted.
I am sorry, but I just don't like this idea. I don't care if the rest of the NCAA is doing it. Georgia Tech needs to be about integrity first. I want to recruit better and keep a full talented roster just as you do, but I don't want to deceive kids to get it done. The only proper thing I can think of is early enrollees helping us make numbers.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am sorry, but I just don't like this idea. I don't care if the rest of the NCAA is doing it. Georgia Tech needs to be about integrity first. I want to recruit better and keep a full talented roster just as you do, but I don't want to deceive kids to get it done. The only proper thing I can think of is early enrollees helping us make numbers.

don't have to deceive. Its easy to tell them the truth "hey soandso we have 16 slots. we are taking 17-18 commits because we are expecting 1-2 to leave. No problem...you have a ship here" and the coaches do this knowing they can take a walkon off ship to cover them as needed

its no deception at all!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
don't have to deceive. Its easy to tell them the truth "hey soandso we have 16 slots. we are taking 17-18 commits because we are expecting 1-2 to leave. No problem...you have a ship here" and the coaches do this knowing they can take a walkon off ship to cover them as needed

its no deception at all!

The fact that we DON'T do this kind of stuff is one of the main reasons I never regret being a Tech fan.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The fact that we DON'T do this kind of stuff is one of the main reasons I never regret being a Tech fan.

did it for years under GOL and a bit under chan.....its how we maintained loaded classes. Now that you know that are you not a tech fan anymore? The way Paul recruits is not the way past coaches have....its one reason why paul struggles to fill classes and has way too many walkons on ship (in the past)

fyi
How much negative recruiting was out there? “There was a lot. UGA did that a little bit. Even Tech did it. The only school I can say that didn’t talk about other schools was Florida State. They didn’t say anything bad about anybody. But everybody else said stuff about each other. It was crazy

we are not much different than many schools. Take the gold colored glasses off a bit

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
did it for years under GOL and a bit under chan.....its how we maintained loaded classes. Now that you know that are you not a tech fan anymore? The way Paul recruits is not the way past coaches have....its one reason why paul struggles to fill classes and has way too many walkons on ship (in the past)

fyi
How much negative recruiting was out there? “There was a lot. UGA did that a little bit. Even Tech did it. The only school I can say that didn’t talk about other schools was Florida State. They didn’t say anything bad about anybody. But everybody else said stuff about each other. It was crazy

we are not much different than many schools. Take the gold colored glasses off a bit

Just b/c we did it in the past doesn't mean I'm glad we did, or think we should now. Your logic doesn't make sense. And does CPJ ever criticize UGAg in discussion with recruits? I'm sure he does. Are his criticisms valid? I hope so. But you can't convince me we are "not much different" than other schools we recruit against.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
10 to 25-28? Do We need to anticipate this ( head coach) kind of issues and recruit extra to allow for issues. ? Yes IMO. Possible discussion on what is the ratio needed. So we don't have wild cycles which leads to depth issues down the road.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

fyi

Just because GOL played Russian Roulette and never got shot doesn't mean it was right. The last thing I ever want us to do is pull a ship from a guy who earned it after walking on. He has to make the 2 deep and contribute on the field in order to be awarded the ship in the first place. How do you tell a kid on the two deep we're giving your ship to a guy who hasn't even taken one college practice snap?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just because GOL played Russian Roulette and never got shot doesn't mean it was right. The last thing I ever want us to do is pull a ship from a guy who earned it after walking on. He has to make the 2 deep and contribute on the field in order to be awarded the ship in the first place. How do you tell a kid on the two deep we're giving your ship to a guy who hasn't even taken one college practice snap?

paul just did it with coray carlson and matt serpico last year and two...paul has done it a few times....just because you have weaker knees on this topic doesn't mean our coaches do....

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

Scholarships are one year awards. There is no guarantee of four or five years.
Again I will mention that losing scholarships happens to several players at every D1 school, even Tech, in baseball every year. Why some of you want to treat football players differently is interesting to me.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Scholarships are one year awards. There is no guarantee of four or five years.
Again I will mention that losing scholarships happens to several players at every D1 school, even Tech, in baseball every year. Why some of you want to treat football players differently is interesting to me.
LOL. You know good and well, or should, that that's not how it works in reality. The understanding, expressed or otherwise, is that the schollies are good until graduation/eligibility expiration. Otherwise you'd hear about multiple scholly revocations every year like it was common place. Heck, even the factories aren't so brazen as to pull ships outright. Even Saben won't do that. He'll disguise it as "medical" or just encourage a guy to transfer, which usually does the trick.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I have no problem with telling a walk-on, "Hey, we have an extra ship for you this year. But, there are no promises that it will be available next year." That's totally legit. It's not hurting the guy by helping him for a year that he wasn't counting on anyway. The only reason not to do that is if the walk-on actually makes the (REAL) 2-deep.