A Backs

dubjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Has CPJ coached team ever had a game in which the Abacks rushed for under 10 yards before today?

This is not a critique just an honest question! I felt like JT took what was given to him and Tech didn't run the toss sweep but a few times so it wasn't as if they had much of a chance.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
Perimeter blocking was really bad today on the plays that were open. Some of the attempted cut blocks should have been straight on

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
It does say a lot that Days was moved back to Aback to get some blocking.

Given that this move was made at the beginning of the game, I think CPJ was planning it like this. VT's DBs are hyperactive against our running game and love to spill to the a-backs. Put a little more heft out there and then let Smoove have some clear running lanes on double options with the b-backs.

Also notice how many max protection passing plays there were, where literally everyone but one or two guys would stay in to pass block. That (hopefully) gives your guy more time to throw but it also puts the onus on your single WR to get open against double or triple coverage. Smelter was up to the task when it mattered most.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
VT sold out to stop the outside plays for some reason. I was kind of pissed a few times that we weren't just taking the easy 4 yards they were just giving us up the middle.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Given that this move was made at the beginning of the game, I think CPJ was planning it like this. VT's DBs are hyperactive against our running game and love to spill to the a-backs. Put a little more heft out there and then let Smoove have some clear running lanes on double options with the b-backs.

Also notice how many max protection passing plays there were, where literally everyone but one or two guys would stay in to pass block. That (hopefully) gives your guy more time to throw but it also puts the onus on your single WR to get open against double or triple coverage. Smelter was up to the task when it mattered most.
Did you see the nice pass towards the sideline where Days had looked back and then blocked a guy to keep the pass lane open down the field? The ball was thrown pretty close behind Days back.