A-Backs and Depth

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Let me preface this OP by stating emphatically that I don't want to lose anyone from this team. I think senior leadership is important and that the older guys teach the younger guys, even if they're not getting much PT.

Now, a while back, about the beginning of the Spring semester, there were two senior A-Backs that were speculated may not be with the team next year, Bostic and Zenon. The comments were that decisions would be made after Spring Practice. Well, we're there.

If there were any legs to those rumors, based on what I saw last night, I'd say Zenon will get a fair amount of PT come Fall and Bostic won't. I was not impressed with the level of effort it appeared Bostic was giving. I saw missed blocks, lackadaisical blocks, unimpressive runs and at least one "in-his-hands" drop by Bostic. Zenon wasn't always successful, but it looked to me like he was always running hard. He looked very quick to the edge and turned it up. If there wasn't a chip-block by one of the trailers (I didn't see who it was), Zenon was closing quickly and would have caught IJ on the fumble return.

I've liked BJ since he got here, and would love to see him light it up next year; but, I would think with the A-Backs we have, there won't be much PT for him unless he steps his game up significantly. I figure by the end of next month we'll have heard if these two guys are sticking around. Based on what I saw last night, I'd say one may stay, and one may go. I'd hate to see either of them go.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
He was a very heavily recruit DB, why wasn't he moved to CB with our problems there. OM had a little used WR that was switched to CB a few years ago his senior year and was fairly successful. He even stuck around the NFL a few years. Seems like we could at least give it a try. Spring would have been the perfect time for that.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
That coupled with the move to Burden starting a center and moving O'Reilly to 2nd team instead of seeing how he did at tackle have been the most disappointing thing. It has been reported how good O'Reilly looked and even if Burden was better than O'Reilly at center, it seems like an much better option than keeping the tackles the way they are. I'm a firm believer in starting you best five and it we aren't doing that right now.

Body Massage Machine

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm hoping Synjyn/Perkins can get the tough yards and break a few tackles and be the primary blockers. Maybe a combination of Snoddy/Andrews can fill the big play void left by Godhigh. Both are largely unproven, however. I'm not really sure what to expect at this position.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
While you want to get the 5 best OL on the field, you also need a passable backup at center, imo. Unless a true freshman comes and proves himself gangbusters, I'm for keeping both Burden and O'Reilly at center.

Now, as far A-Backs go, iirc, Bostic and Zenon started with the 1's in the T-Day game. They both played in the first series anyway. I think they, Synjyn, Andrews, and Perk will be getting most of the snaps, and Deon Hill if/when he's healthy. I also like Snoddy competing for playing time there. I don't foresee a problem with A-Back this year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Now, as far A-Backs go, iirc, Bostic and Zenon started with the 1's in the T-Day game. They both played in the first series anyway. I think they, Synjyn, Andrews, and Perk will be getting most of the snaps, and Deon Hill if/when he's healthy. I also like Snoddy competing for playing time there. I don't foresee a problem with A-Back this year.

I don't see a problem with A-Backs at all. I see Synjyn, Andrews, Perkins and Zenon getting the most snaps, with Hill getting some if healthy. I'm less sure about Bostic based on the level of apparent effort I saw in the Spring game. He's never been a great blocker, but it seemed he mailed it in on several plays (as did Waller). He's always been one of my favorite players and I've rooted for him to be successful since he got here. But, based on what I saw Friday night and some of the rumored comments, I will not be surprised if he decides to head elsewhere for his final season (especially if he's able to finish school this Spring). I remember reading somewhere that both there were a couple of guys (read: Bostic and Zenon) who were unhappy with the PT last years and were going to re-evaluate after seeing where they stand in the depth chart after the Spring.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I actually like a lot of what I saw from Zenon. He really seemed to be running hard and going north and south much more. Even his blocking looked pretty good. Zenon's guy we need to contribute because his receiving skills can be very valuable if he's a running threat as well. Bostic on the other hand... Not impressed and never have been with him at A back. Synjyn looked good too.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Days sure can block and is one of the best I have seen on the field under CPJ! But, I will give him nothing on the run until I see him do it on the field consistently.

Our best hope is to see Perkins and Hill return and or have the blocking light come on for Andrews. D Wilson looks to have been a great blocker at AB.