9.5 favorite over Wake

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Took care of business. Got a little sloppy, but never let it get out of control. This team is passing well and playing good defense right now. Wake looks....like they haven't practiced together. Let's keep it going!

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
Great win! Took care of business, just like they should have. I wish we could play Ga. state and Mercer again. I really think FSU is just really good, and is a match up nightmare for us. We lose that game 7 times out of 10. Love watching basketball again. Thank you Pastner for building a team that is fun to watch!

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, the AJC game recap mentioned that Maxwell hurt his foot again and was in a boot. I feel bad for him, and I feel like the team could use his shooting and depth, but Bubba and Devoe have both improved their shooting of late, so I don't think he is essential to this year's team. Next year, though, I think we will need him. Get healthy quick, Tristan!

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Great team win. Our back court is playing the way we all expected them to start the year, as one of the top in the ACC. While Moses didn't score a lot he did other things (passing, defense) that helped the team win. I love Usher and Moore. Usher's intensity puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team. I have been impressed with his ability to pass the ball to set up teammates for easy baskets. Moore is the ultimate glue guy. He plays great defense, can handle the ball, and does a great job running the court. He does things that don't necessarily show up in the box score but if you are watching the game closely you see his value.
One thing I like about how the team is playing is on any given night the other guys step up on offense. It is not just the Alvarado, Devoe, and Wright show. Parham has been hitting timely 3s. Ushers has been scoring in bursts. Even Moore has been aggressive attacking the basket at times. Unfortunately, I would be surprised if we did not shut down Maxwell for the year. If he is in a boot he is not practicing, not in shape, etc. It will be difficult for him to get back in time to be effective this year.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Love how Usher initiated the offense from the baseline. That WF team is horrible, as I’ve never seen so many bad passes. GT could get any shot they wanted. I still say GT will be at its best if Alvarado decides from the tip-off that he’s the best player on the court. He’s had some insane second half outputs.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I couldn't agree more with @orientalnc about this being Jose's team. Earlier in another thread I posted a post game presser quote from Moses, about how he knows when Jose is about to take over a game because he starts shouting about things to the guys. His intensity is infectious and you see the effect of his leadership in that it isn't theatrics but real focus and locking in for the guys.

Also, I gotta say I am feasting on Usher Roasted Crow. I didn't see Usher's game in all of the three steps too fast and 10 miles too far style of play he had last season. This year he has settled, found his tempo and place on the team and is essentially a more athletic version of what I always hoped Cole could have become had he stayed and worked with CER. I stand corrected on his development and love seeing him play off of Moses and Khalid.

This is a team that can finally go legit 3 guard or 3 bigs at our discretion to match up against most NCAA teams (FSU and the land of giants not withstanding).

Really happy with the way we have played the last few, and am so happy to see the return of our ever-morphing zone defense. Some of those steals and intercepted passes last night were the result of Wake having basically to play as a team of guys who haven't got much more chemistry than me and 4 random dudes at a YMCA Pick Up game, but a lot of it was directly attributable to active hands, knowing how to shut down passing lanes and quick switches on D.

We have a tournament capable team this year boys and girls, now we just have to do the work against the remaining schedule (and likely first few rounds of the ACC Tourney) to get a tournament capable record and go do the dance we all have missed for so long. Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"Professional" win for us. We played like we were supposed to, and not down to the competition like we have a tendency of doing. This is what good teams do. IMO, we battled some Covid over-precautions early, but now we are finding our footing. We are now a good team.

I keep telling everyone, Usher our most athletic and explosive player. He can get by guys. He's herky-jerky sometimes, but when it's working for him he's a good player for us. Usher is also one of those guys that does little things for us that doesn't show up on the score board. Usher would have been a great Tight End in football with his length and athleticism.

Jose is just a dominant player when he's on. The guy has that NY DGAF about him...and that's what we need sometimes. It's a joy watching him play.

Glad to see Howard and Saba get some time. Howard looks like he's getting more comfortable and seems to be taking the right positions. We're going to need for Howard or Saba to give us solid minutes eventually.

Overall, Wake is a good win because any win in the ACC is a good win. Given how we played in the past, you can't take wins for granted.

GT11

GT Athlete
"Professional" win for us. We played like we were supposed to, and not down to the competition like we have a tendency of doing. This is what good teams do. IMO, we battled some Covid over-precautions early, but now we are finding our footing. We are now a good team.

I keep telling everyone, Usher our most athletic and explosive player. He can get by guys. He's herky-jerky sometimes, but when it's working for him he's a good player for us. Usher is also one of those guys that does little things for us that doesn't show up on the score board. Usher would have been a great Tight End in football with his length and athleticism.

Jose is just a dominant player when he's on. The guy has that NY DGAF about him...and that's what we need sometimes. It's a joy watching him play.

Glad to see Howard and Saba get some time. Howard looks like he's getting more comfortable and seems to be taking the right positions. We're going to need for Howard or Saba to give us solid minutes eventually.

Overall, Wake is a good win because any win in the ACC is a good win. Given how we played in the past, you can't take wins for granted.
Well said