9.5 favorite over Wake

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We have been playing well, but should we be almost a double digit favorite over anyone in the ACC??? This number surprised me. I thought we would be a 1-4 point favorite.
Wake has played three games total. Opponents: Delaware State, Longwood and Catawba.

They have played one game since November 27th due to the wonders that is the 2020 season.

For a team expected to be bad this year, and with this being their first foray into real competition and on the road, I think the line is reasonable. Lot of unknowns though.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When was the last time we were favored by this much over an ACC opponent? Or even close to this much? I know it's partly the state of the Wake program, but things have changed at Tech.

Deleted member 2897

Wake has played three games total. Opponents: Delaware State, Longwood and Catawba.

They have played one game since November 27th due to the wonders that is the 2020 season.

For a team expected to be bad this year, and with this being their first foray into real competition and on the road, I think the line is reasonable. Lot of unknowns though.

They barely beat Catawba. They are historically bad.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
They barely beat Catawba. They are historically bad.
They also blew out Delaware state by 60 compared to our 28....

What I'm saying is it is still GT. We play down to our opponent for no reason. We couldn't cover a 20 point spread against terrible FAMU.

In fact I don't believe we have covered a spread over 10 points but maybe 1 time in the past 2 years.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
9.5 seems a bit high to me. -5-7pts I’d be all over it. I’m confident we’ll win tho. Wake isn’t very good but we sometimes play to the level of our opponents...

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

Yep - Wake is a strong consensus pick for the bottom team in the ACC. Especially when by far their best player Sarr transfered to KY. The view for them is summarized below from SI

Steve Forbes arrives after a great run at East Tennessee State, but this is going to take a while. Danny Manning didn’t leave him much, and that was before his best player (7-footer Olivier Sarr) transferred to Kentucky. Forbes is already starting to stock the roster for 2021–22, but for this season he will likely make his biggest impact upgrading the tenacity and competitiveness of the Demon Deacons.

Forbes has brought in several new players - mostly guards from ETSU, TN, etc. which have helped and also got a 4 star recruit Carter Whit to start school this year (Catawba was first game). But they are generally small so I don't think our lineup will get hurt inside today.

I like Forbes and think he will have them playing hard, but they are not there yet. This is one we should win comfortably. (famous last words I know)

slugboy

Staff member
Then there is one less important thing to talk about.

Wake is undefeated. No way should we get a 9.5 point spread. We are 73 and they ate 117 in KenPom ratings. Not enough there to justify that spread.
I get your point, but I don't think that KenPom is fully baked yet.

What we do know is that Tech has had two really bad games, one game against FSU where we looked overmatched, and five nice looking wins. We can go either direction, but things are trending a hair towards the positive right now.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wake is undefeated. No way should we get a 9.5 point spread. We are 73 and they ate 117 in KenPom ratings. Not enough there to justify that spread.

Their opponents are
0-5
2-8
and
2-4 DII team who doesn't have an espn page.

Them being undefeated is completely meaningless.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We have a good squad when they focus. I didn’t realize the extra year of eligibility applied to basketball as well. If everyone sticks around we could be nasty next year