9/13/14

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I would put mtsu in that category.
That was a unusual situation after the close VT and Miami loses.

This game is early in the season, Southern is putting in a new offense, PJ is going to have them up for this more than your normal patsy game, and we don't have Al Groh anymore

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I don't think PJ will be taking Southern lightly at all. But I also don't expect this game to be close. Fritz is a good coach with a good track record but this will be early in his regime with their new offense (though Southern ran a little bit of what he does last year) and a new defense.
I'm already wondering about uniforms. Since Tech likely will wear white, will GSU break out the all blues for the first time in a decade-plus?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This game won't be close after the first 3 possessions. It'll be 21-0 after the end of the first quarter. That's no disrespect for GSU, the the talent level discrepancy is too big and the equalizer (type of offense) will be negated by our ability to practice against it at game speed (I know it'll be a different offense next year, but it'll still be an option offense.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
MySouthernJacket,
How is your QB's arm? If you have an athletic QB who has experience in the triple option but also has a good arm, I honestly think the transition to this offense is easier than most would think. The question mark then becomes how good are your WR's? Because if your guys can stretch the field and catch the football, with a QB who can get the ball to them, this offense could be tough to defend.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
I like their offense a lot.

Great article from the Macon Telegraph (why are they the best college sports writers in the state their)

http://www.macon.com/2014/01/27/2902193/georgia-southerns-fritz-sprints.html

Future CPJ Replacement ???

QBC Cook is very familiar with Fritz
Why are you so obsessed with replacing cpj? Why do you assume it is the offense that is the problem? There are lots of people on here that will back me up when I tell you since 09, it has been the defense that has been the weak link, not the offense. Maybe I would give you more credit if you said someone like Kirby smart, because then we would be addressing the real issue in gt football, instead of all of the offensive minded coaches you constantly suggest. My last question is where is your loyalty? Cpj is the first to get us an acc title since 90. He is right up there in winning percentage with every tech coach. I an convinced that when gt has a good defense and the offense is back to humming like it used to be, tech will be right back to the top like 08 09.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the Telegraph article ATL.

Interesting quote from Fritz: "
“The biggest difference in our recruiting and what they did here before is in the offensive linemen,” Fritz said. “In the past, movement was the big thing for them: Guys had to be able to move and have quickness to climb to the second level. What we’re going to do we’re going to need a little more size, so we need bigger guys.”

How will this effect their game with GT? Will the OL be asked to do something they were not recruited to do? Just asking, I have no idea.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
They've got some returning OL, including a couple of guys, one a returning starter, about 6-2, 300, and the returning starting center is 6-1, 276 and 6-4, 277-pound starting tackle coming back.

Fritz signed five OL in his first class, two about 6-1, 305, another 6-3, 306 and one 6-5, 340.

I think it's a lot to ask true freshman OL to step in for two of your first three games to be NC State and Tech. They do have a couple of guys listed as tight end but I don't recall those guys getting a lot of PT last year, even though under Monken they ran some TE sets. The returning slotbacks are small, ranging from Godhigh to Bostic small. No Orwins or Perkins or Synjyns in the bunch.
With their other skill guys, Zach Walker can catch anything thrown his way, Swope is a man and YouTube (Youyoute) can fly.