8/9 Georgia Tech Scrimmage

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No expert, but I thought the D looked pretty good. Lots of "swarming" to the ball and laying the wood. Either that, or the O was not doing well, however that is not what I was thinking in the stands (that the O wasn't doing well).

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Other notes:
QB's:
Thomas, rolled out to hit Smelter on a pass on 3rd/4th play, sat out rest of scrimmage. I watched the ball so I don't know if he got hit.
Byerly looked real good, looks very good against 1st team defense
Jordan looked real good, like to see him run 1st team offense, seems reserve defense was getting the best of the reserve offense, messing up plays, but when Jordan had a little time he made a lot of nice plays. Did over throw a couple of receivers, but showed nice arm.

RB's: Perkins and Zenon started at AB, Perkins awesome in run game, Zenon was awesome in passing game. Days was all purpose back but to me looked real good at B-Back

DL: Freeman, Green, Gotsis, Stargel started and played well. Green did not play much, Gamble replaced him and looked real good, held his spot real well.
Kallon looks a lot better, just a step behind Gamble, by 3rd/4th game he will be fine in the rotation. People sleeping on Stargel, he's pretty good. Freeman will be a beast.

OL: played well, Griffin is going to be good, They didn't have Mason and the unit looked fine. Devine looks like he going to be nice player, if he get hands n defender he can win the play, but need to be able to redirect better when defender is not in expected gap.

DB: Domonique Noble was player of the day, made some great hits.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Other notes:
DB: Domonique Noble was player of the day, made some great hits.

Noble had a heck of a ply on a blitz early on. Swear he went in almost untouched and lowered the boom with a solid wrap up tackle. He was all over (in a good way) the field when he was out there.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was a lot of fun for me. Got my first GT football scrimmage in 30 years under my belt. It will be difficult to produce a report of great meaning here. Without film to confirm suspicions etc, please take this for what it is worth.

I spent the warm up period mostly watching the WRs because they were right in front of me. I just tried to identify who the real athletes were by the way they move and how natural they were with their hands etc. The guy who stood out to me was Searcy. He is a very small dude compared to the others, but he is the best pure athlete of the bunch. I really like his speed body control and hands. His size will impact him in his development some, but there is a lot of raw material for these coaches to work with. We may not see him this season, but he is a guy future defenses are going to have to be aware of. Messick is graceful, Juene is big. Smelter is an NFL player. He will make a team.

My attention then turned to the QBs a little. All our guys can throw, which is good. I was really impressed with Jordan and his ability to put a quality ball in the air. During drills, when there is no decision to be made and no pressure facing him, he throws the prettiest ball and is the most natural of the bunch. When the play went live, however, all that comfort evaporated and confusion and hesitation set in. The poor kid screwed up a bunch, but he also made some really good plays. Despite not being anywhere close to being ready to run the whole offense, he showed flashes, which is about all we really should expect from him right now.

Justin played only a handful of snaps. He made two great back shoulder throws to Smelter, who dropped the first one, on consecutive plays. The play that impressed me the most was the roll out to the right after being flushed. He bought time, kept his eyes down field without forcing an early throw, directed traffic with his hands and made a beautiful completion for about 20. That play showed me a lot- COMPOSURE. Just like that, he was done and I can't tell you why. No hits. That is for sure.

Byerly ran the rest of the first team offense. I thought he played really well. If you want a reason to be excited after last season, take faith in this: both our QBs read the field very well. Time and time again, Byerly made good choices and found the right guys. From my vantage point, I think you have to say that he is a legit contender to be the starter and not just a safety valve. The option part of the offense is being run much better than at any point last year and we are only a week into camp. We kept it simple for the most part, but I thought I saw some new elements, like speed option, being thrown in.

On offense, it is easy to see that we are looking for ways to get the ball in Synjin's hands more often. I thought he looked good, both running and receiving. He took some snaps at QB and BB. There was one memorable run after catch where he made some nifty moves to add 10 or yards to an already good play.

One interesting tidbit is that the OTs have switched sides. We came out with Chamberlain on the left and Griffin on the right. I'm not sure what all that means. In general, I would say the OL did well. There was usually time enough to make reads and plays against the defense. Devine is more fit. There is no question about that. It is hard to say more than that without slowing the action down.

Sorry, I gotta run, but I will write up a few thoughts about defense when I return this afternoon.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Synjyn is getting snaps at QB in case something happens to QB1 & QB2 to prevent using MJ and losing his redshirt. An insurance policy if you will.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if Synjyn is getting snaps at QB in case something happens to QB1 & QB2 to prevent using MJ and losing his redshirt. An insurance policy if you will.

Synjy only played goal line QB like he did a few times last year. I think it more a goal line package then preparing Days for QB.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Saw a lot of no huddle offense. Wonder if that's done more to prepare our defense or is Tech going to go with it more this year?

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I highly doubt they are trying to find more ways to get SD the ball in his hands. He fumbles way too much for that and has below average speed. He will be an emergency only at QB and BB. You don't put SD at QB unless TB is unable to go. He's been here almost 5 years and all of a sudden he's a stud?