8/10 Scrimmage Notes

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not really an expert an analyzing the game as far as how the lines played or how the perimeter blocking was, but I can tell you what stood out to me at the scrimmage.

- Vad will definitely be the starting QB. Although he was getting to play with ones and JT had to play with the twos, it was clear that Vad had a much better grasp of the offense.

- Sims looked good at B back and it looked like he was a little bit quicker/shiftier than he was last season. Snoddy also had a few nice runs and seems to be getting a better grasp of the position.

- Butker attempted one 54 yard field goal, which he missed, but it was right down the middle. Would have been good from around 50 yards. They don't use kickoofs in scrimmages, so Im not sure about that.

- Smelter DOES NOT look like a guy who hasn't played football in three season. He definitely looks the part at receiver, and may have the best hands on the entire team. He had two really nice catches, including a one handed reception, near the end of the scrimmage. I would expect him to be in the rotation with Waller, Summers, and Henry.

- Although the base formation was used the msot, the diamond formation was used a good amount as well. I don't recall very many plays being ran out of the pistol.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Thanks for posting.

Paul Johnson Audio Interview:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/gtathletics/081013_Johnson.m4a

Ted Roof Audio Interview:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/gtathletics/081013_Rppf.m4a

Here are the notes from GTAA:

NEWS FROM GEORGIA TECH’s SATURDAY MORNING SCRIMMAGE
The offense jumped out to a quick start, the defense tightened in the second half and a few individual players stood out in Georgia Tech’s first scrimmage of #GTCAMP13, a 90-minute session in front of season-ticket holders Saturday morning in Bobby Dodd Stadium.

The offense scored touchdowns on each of sophomore quarterback Vad Lee’s first three possessions under center, including an impressive opening 70-yard TD drive that included completions to Darren Waller (15 yards) and Micheal Summers (21 yards). The drive culminated in a five-yard touchdown run by senior B-back David Sims.

“For the first scrimmage there were some positives, and some negatives as well,” said head coach Paul Johnson. “The offense did really well early on, and the defense probably did a little better towards the end. There’s a lot to work to do on both sides of the ball. I saw a few individual guys make some plays – I thought DeAndre Smelter had a good day – make some plays – and that was great to see.”

Smelter, who could be an immediate help to an inexperienced group of Tech receivers, made perhaps the two best catches of the day on Saturday. Smelter reeled in a pair of long passes from Tim Byerly – one for 25 yards and another for 36 yards with a sliding, one-handed grab.

Smelter, a junior who played three years of baseball for Georgia Tech before throwing on the pads for the first time since high school, has impressed Johnson in the preseason.

“Speed of the game is the biggest adjustment for me,” said Smelter on his transition from baseball. “During my training in the summer, I’ve just tried to work on my footwork and get better at making my cuts.”

Sims has also enjoyed a good camp, and his work was on display Saturday as he followed his early score with a pair of long yard runs that set up touchdowns. On Tech’s third drive with Lee under center, Sims’ 32-yard jaunt was followed by a 10-yarder from Zach Laskey to put the ball at the 2. Lee finished it off with a TD plunge.

“He needed to come out and re-establish,” Johnson said of Sims. “He’s in a fight for his job.”

The fourth possession, with Justin Thomas under center, resulted in a 32-yard David Scully field goal. Tech was set-up after an impressive 19-yard pass down the left sideline from Thomas to Jamie Alvarez and a 20-yard run from Austin McClellan.

Sims broke free at the line and bounced off tacklers for a 31-yard run carry on the fifth possession, and Lee hit Synjyn Days for a 16-yard TD on a screen pass.

As the game evolved, the defense began to turn the tide under the hot and humid conditions on Historic Grant Field.

Domonique Noble turned in one of the early defensive highlights for coordinator Ted Roof, as the sophomore defensive back stepped in front of a Thomas pass on the goal line during the second possession for an interception that he returned 25 yards.

The defense held on the sixth possession, which ended in a missed 54-yard field goal attempt from freshman Harrison Butker. Sacks from Nick Menocal and Jimmie Kitchen thwarted Tech drives later in the scrimmage, and linebacker Corey Alford pounced on a loose ball for a fumble recovery on the final play of the afternoon.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081013aae.html

Last edited:

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Here is what I have.

- Beno, Nealy, McNair, Zenon all out.

- Errin Joe got injured and is likely out awhile.

- Summers got the start opposite of Waller

- Noble is now at S

- Lynn Griffin now at CB

- Commissiong was running with the second team

- PJ Davis started at LB

- Vad looked a lot more comfortable to me...I think it has clicked for him and he is now comfortable in this offense. He had a good day overall...Hard to judge what the guys have with the OL right now though.

- Justin Thomas could not get in a rhythm all day and is clearly behind Vad but he did show how quick and shifty he is.

- The OL is a bit of a mess right now...Starters were Will Jackson, Chamberlain, Braun, O"Reily and Mason.

- David Sims had two fumbles today that I seen...But he played decent. Laskey looks a little bigger and played well. A good fight is going on between those two for that job.

- Smelter played great today and has the look of a natural football player...he had the catch of the day. I think he will see a lot of time this season.

- Noble had a very good of INT off of Justin Thomas near the goal line.

- Waller played well like he did last season...he just has not hit the potential that the coaches think he has. He is a decent player but he could be so much more.

- Harrison Butker had a 54 yard field goal fall short...he looked good in warmups though.

- I was encouraged overall with it being just the first scrimmage...Vad and the first team O looks like they are primed for a big year.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
He is coming along...Still struggling at times though. He is #3 when Beno and Finch are back though.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Eric...how close are Sims and Laskey in this position battle? With Laskey only playing a few series today and CPJ's post scrimmage comments, do you think he has moved or is moving past Sims on the depth chart?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Smelter made the top 10 plays on sportcenter. I'm out of the country. Super surprised to see a scrimmage highlight on sc

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Wallers had an impressive catch early in the scrimmage. It was a short yardage catch in traffic, ball was thrown slightly behind him. Summers had an impressive catch early as well, where he had to come back for the ball, when the defender had slightly better position.

Neither ended the practice well, but both showed a lot of potential. It's Summers first season playing (redshirt last year) and Waller's 3rd season playing. Waller's first season was mostly on ST, and he didn't have a catch (not sure how many times we targeted him, but probably very few.)

It is still possible they become more consistent with more playing time.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Tim is the QB of record for both the SportsCenter throw to Smelter and the Process Video throw to Waller.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hang on, there was a 4 and a 18 in the scrimmage. The media guide says 18 is Holland Frost who was to be moved to safety. I can confirm absolutely that there was a 4 and 18 present. I cannot confirm who was in the jerseys.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You are right, 18 is both Frost and Byerly according to the 2013 media guide.

Looks like Smelter took 15 after Holton left and gave 13 to Frost, and Byerly took 18 over 4.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Hang on, there was a 4 and a 18 in the scrimmage. The media guide says 18 is Holland Frost who was to be moved to safety. I can confirm absolutely that there was a 4 and 18 present. I cannot confirm who was in the jerseys.
4 was Brady Swilling if I remember correctly.