77% of the starters for NFL Championships weren't 4 or 5 Stars

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I am sure it was his playing skills. I didn't mean to mislead. His family enters only that daddy used a valuable scholarship on his son who didn't have the skills to earn it. From what I read, the Clemson site is one, coaches tend to let their sons walk on in college and take it from there. I think Swinney's oldest son and Venables' oldest are walking on this fall. Neither were given scholarships. Seems a proper balance.

He was a walk on at UNC. He didn't have a scholarship.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He was a walk on at UNC. He didn't have a scholarship.
Well, I dunno if he attended on a scholarship but the then chancellor of UNC-Chapel Hill was quoted extensively in the Raleigh newspaper about his disappointment in finding out about the scholarship offer from the newspaper, not the coach. Perhaps it was withdrawn at that point but it certainly had been tendered.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
the New England Patriots who KNOW talent when they see it

I think this is the exact opposite of what has made the Patriots successful.

The Patriots do not "know talent when they see it", just like every other NFL team. The difference is that Belichick knows that he doesn't know talent when he sees it. Unlike every other egoistic idiot running a front office in the NFL, Belichick recognizes that predicting NFL success based on college play is pretty much impossible.

And his drafting strategy is based around this knowledge. His strategy is to trade high value picks for multiple low value picks, because since he cannot predict who will be successful, he'd rather have a lot of options to choose from, and then is ruthless about cutting anyone who he feels will not be able to make it.

It amazes me that no one else in the NFL follows this strategy especially considering that Belichick has proven that it's a way to build a consistently successful team (once you have certain key cogs, such as QB, in place).

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, I dunno if he attended on a scholarship but the then chancellor of UNC-Chapel Hill was quoted extensively in the Raleigh newspaper about his disappointment in finding out about the scholarship offer from the newspaper, not the coach. Perhaps it was withdrawn at that point but it certainly had been tendered.

UNC Bio: http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208483561
Ole Miss Bio: http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/drew_davis_913478.html
247 profile: http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Drew-Davis-11765/RecruitInterests
Rivals profile: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/25517

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, okay, as these apparently has turned into at least a small hill, but this from a second (Charlotte) newspaper after Raleigh. (Perhaps Thorp, who was to lose his job in that fiasco, pulled it, but he definitely was offered. The relevance of which now is unclear.)

Disgraced former Tar Heel head coach Butch Davis gave university chancellor Holden Thorp and AD **** Baddour one final parting gift — a scholarship offer to his son, Drew, an unranked, dual-threat quarterback at East Chapel Hill High School.

Charlotte Observer blogger Ken Tysiac spoke with Thorp, who found out on the Interwebs that Drew had an offer from the Tar Heels, and was, shall we say, none too happy:

"Drew is a good kid and I feel bad for him in all this," Thorp said, "and for all I know, we would love to have him on the football team. But with everything going on, it would be good for the athletic director and the coach to talk about that and probably for all three of us to talk."

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, okay, as these apparently has turned into at least a small hill, but this from a second (Charlotte) newspaper after Raleigh. (Perhaps Thorp, who was to lose his job in that fiasco, pulled it, but he definitely was offered. The relevance of which now is unclear.)

Disgraced former Tar Heel head coach Butch Davis gave university chancellor Holden Thorp and AD **** Baddour one final parting gift — a scholarship offer to his son, Drew, an unranked, dual-threat quarterback at East Chapel Hill High School.

Charlotte Observer blogger Ken Tysiac spoke with Thorp, who found out on the Interwebs that Drew had an offer from the Tar Heels, and was, shall we say, none too happy:

"Drew is a good kid and I feel bad for him in all this," Thorp said, "and for all I know, we would love to have him on the football team. But with everything going on, it would be good for the athletic director and the coach to talk about that and probably for all three of us to talk."

I don't know if he was offered or not. However believing that he was offered because one "Interwebs" blogger said so feeds my distrust and dislike for the whole recruiting industry.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, the chancellor said he was so I'll go with that.

The quote that you posted said that he found out on the "interwebs", and wasn't happy. For all we know he did speak to the athletic director and found out the "interwebs" report wasn't accurate. If the quote provided is accurate, it appears that he had not at that point spoken with the coach or the athletic director, so the ONLY information he had was from the "interwebs" report. VERY much less than the chancellor said that it was fact.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The quote that you posted said that he found out on the "interwebs", and wasn't happy. For all we know he did speak to the athletic director and found out the "interwebs" report wasn't accurate. If the quote provided is accurate, it appears that he had not at that point spoken with the coach or the athletic director, so the ONLY information he had was from the "interwebs" report. VERY much less than the chancellor said that it was fact.
Oh, never mind, We are in age that is fact averse and we are boring people.