77% of the starters for NFL Championships weren't 4 or 5 Stars

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
See above about opinions
I saw it plus. guys like June imo were right because he didn't make a major impact untill this year which is his junior year. It took him 3 years to get to the point of where he is now so at that point of him coming out of high school they were right and that's why he didn't play much.

Opinions are your own not for everyone else. So when someone disagrees take it for what it's worth. You mention jeune just blossomed well the same could be said for dalvin Tomlinson he got his first start his senior year.

Hypothetical guesses are what the recruiting agencies do. Measurables are on paper but heart and determination and work ethic can't be measured.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Opinions are your own not for everyone else. So when someone disagrees take it for what it's worth. You mention jeune just blossomed well the same could be said for dalvin Tomlinson he got his first start his senior year.
So opinions are our own, not for everyone else? Yet you posted your opinion on here? My bad for thinking message boards are ok to post your opinion towards other posters who might have a different opinion, who would have thought that was so unacceptable? And if you said that about Tomlinson I probably wouldn't disagree lol. I guess you thought I was trying to say your opinion was wrong or something? Which I wasn't concisering it's an OPINION not a fact just like mine.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Hypothetical guesses are what the recruiting agencies do. Measurables are on paper but heart and determination and work ethic can't be measured.

Measureables for a high school senior are not reliable either. Most kids(non athletes) put on 10 pounds freshman year. Kids can still add several inches and tens of pounds. With the right training, they can add weight and still gain speed.

I could care less whether you agree disagree or piss on what I think, like I said I have my opinion and everyone else has theirs. I personally think that the recruiting services are decent but should not be counted on as an all in all prediction of futures success of athletes or teams involved. I have seen some make comments on clemsons receiver Hunter Renfro did you know he was a walkon that earned a scholarship. So yes the services hit on the ones that a blind and deaf person could see but what about the ones that are discovered through coaches doing their homework. I prefer that we get the kids who WANT to be at Tech regardless of star power. I think our coaches are doing bg some good work on recruiting and look forward to better results as we go forward.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
AJ gray dedrick mills Ricky jeune Brad Stewart etc etc etc

I find it hard to believe that AJ was not a 4 star. Mills probably should have been one also. But that is just me. I remember watching AJ in the state championship game and he just had that look about him. The kind of player that the other teams point to and talk about. Literally, the best player on the field just about every game. Which begs the question. Who on our current roster was a bona fide 4 star coming out of high school? Shamire?, Parker? Anyone?

I watched AJ for 4 years and yes he was and is all that lol I concur he should have been a 4 star but like I said we will see he is from Waco Brandon watts was also. They have had some awesome athletes come from that school.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I saw it plus. guys like June imo were right because he didn't make a major impact untill this year which is his junior year. It took him 3 years to get to the point of where he is now so at that point of him coming out of high school they were right and that's why he didn't play much.

This is true. Ricky was, according to his bio on Ramblin Wreck, a three time all state player in New Jersey. I wonder why Rutgers or Penn State did not recruit him. Maybe they did. In any case, I am glad we got him. Fine player and seems to want to be here.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
All I know is that a two (2) Star kid that Tennessee and Vanderbilt DIDN'T want who is going to the Super Bowl after playing in a High School Offense for four (4) years that only teaches offensive linemen cut blocking:

Congratulations TRE MASON on being the starting RG on the New England Patriots who KNOW talent when they see it despite what some pay for recruiting site says about a kid coming out of High School!!

Perhaps the Stars Pay for Sites need to have an entirely separate category for rating kids who decide to never leave High School and go to college in name only while they play in another HIGH SCHOOL OFFENSE!

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Oops! Good catch. I'm still upset with Tre for leaving us to go to FSU after they offered him a pity scholarship.

Turned out to be an All American for them. Apparently the GT Coaching Staff actually knows what they are doing when it comes to recruiting.

You Go Shaq!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So yes the services hit on the ones that a blind and deaf person could see but what about the ones that are discovered through coaches doing their homework. I prefer that we get the kids who WANT to be at Tech regardless of star power. I think our coaches are doing bg some good work on recruiting and look forward to better results as we go forward.
hammer, nail, head.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
All I know is that a two (2) Star kid that Tennessee and Vanderbilt DIDN'T want who is going to the Super Bowl after playing in a High School Offense for four (4) years that only teaches offensive linemen cut blocking:

Congratulations TRE MASON on being the starting RG on the New England Patriots who KNOW talent when they see it despite what some pay for recruiting site says about a kid coming out of High School!!

Perhaps the Stars Pay for Sites need to have an entirely separate category for rating kids who decide to never leave High School and go to college in name only while they play in another HIGH SCHOOL OFFENSE!
And Shaq has outplayed Tre in the Pros

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
"...It has been stated quite often that you can pick out the very top of high school players. However, once you get beyond the very top, it is a crap shoot."
The very reason that many HS coaches in particular do not like to coach their own boy. If he is really good there is not a problem. If he is just middlin' or okay, then the coach has a perception problem from team and parents. And some have been known to react by not giving their son a fair shot at developing. Butch Davis was run out of town by UNC for a lot of reasons, cheating being a big one. (More precisely given what has transpired, getting caught cheating). But before he left he gave his son, a QB, a scholarship. The kid never got in a game.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The very reason that many HS coaches in particular do not like to coach their own boy. If he is really good there is not a problem. If he is just middlin' or okay, then the coach has a perception problem from team and parents. And some have been known to react by not giving their son a fair shot at developing. Butch Davis was run out of town by UNC for a lot of reasons, cheating being a big one. (More precisely given what has transpired, getting caught cheating). But before he left he gave his son, a QB, a scholarship. The kid never got in a game.

Drew was a walk on at UNC in 2012 and redshirted. In 2013, he transferred to Trinity Valley Community College, where he was 1-2 passing for 37 yards for the whole season. He went to Mississippi as a walk on in 2014. He played in one game in 2015, but I don't see any official stats for 2014, 2015, or 2016. In high school, I believe he was mainly being recruited by FCS schools. His 247 recruiting profile showed interest in Miami, Wake Forest, Uconn, and UNC. He had no official visits and no offers from any of those.

Maybe the reason that he didn't play, except for 2 passes at Trinity and junk time vs Fresno State, had more to do with his playing ability than his family. It is possible that there were some bad feelings at UNC. However, why would Trinity Valley and Ole Miss allow him to be a walk on if they had no hope that he would develop?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Drew was a walk on at UNC in 2012 and redshirted. In 2013, he transferred to Trinity Valley Community College, where he was 1-2 passing for 37 yards for the whole season. He went to Mississippi as a walk on in 2014. He played in one game in 2015, but I don't see any official stats for 2014, 2015, or 2016. In high school, I believe he was mainly being recruited by FCS schools. His 247 recruiting profile showed interest in Miami, Wake Forest, Uconn, and UNC. He had no official visits and no offers from any of those.

Maybe the reason that he didn't play, except for 2 passes at Trinity and junk time vs Fresno State, had more to do with his playing ability than his family. It is possible that there were some bad feelings at UNC. However, why would Trinity Valley and Ole Miss allow him to be a walk on if they had no hope that he would develop?
Oh, I am sure it was his playing skills. I didn't mean to mislead. His family enters only that daddy used a valuable scholarship on his son who didn't have the skills to earn it. From what I read, the Clemson site is one, coaches tend to let their sons walk on in college and take it from there. I think Swinney's oldest son and Venables' oldest are walking on this fall. Neither were given scholarships. Seems a proper balance.