70 Years of GT Football – Comparing Teams Under Different Coaches

I wish he had. I hope Roof gets a chance as GT HC too.
I don't know how I feel about that. I didn't want Roof back when Johnson hired him, but he has proved me wrong. I understand he was terribly micromanaged by GOL when he was DC the first time, and I don't think he really got much support while HC at Duke. If he can do like GOL, and like Dabo has recently done at Clemson, by hiring the best OC's he can find to run the offense, then I think he can probably be a good HC. If he tries to do it all himself, like many others have tried, then he's doomed to fail. I DO think there would be less upheaval overall if Roof succeeded Johnson, whenever Johnson does leave.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wish he had. I hope Roof gets a chance as GT HC too.

I like Roof, but he's only about 6 years younger than Johnson. I guess it could happen if Johnson decides to move on for some reason, but if Johnson is forced out, it will likely because he could never get the D to play up to where the O has been. It would be hard to see the DC moving up if that's the case, imo.

I like Roof, but he's only about 6 years younger than Johnson. I guess it could happen if Johnson decides to move on for some reason, but if Johnson is forced out, it will likely because he could never get the D to play up to where the O has been. It would be hard to see the DC moving up if that's the case, imo.
In only one year, Roof totally turned around the defensive EFFORT, sometimes getting pretty damn good results. I look for continued improvement there, as long as he can keep them healthy.

sideways fan

Georgia Tech Fan
Few of the Johnson haters DO realize how bad we were under Curry. Hell, he was 0-1-1 against Furman, for crying out loud.
In Curry's defense, he faced some pretty steep hurdles. The facilities were the worst in the country. He had no talent to speak of and a challenging schedule. Little wonder he left. He did leave the legacy of the Black Watch and had pretty good teams before he left. But yes, your point is well taken. He probably was not a good football coach but at that time he was about the best Tech could do.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Fulcher COULD have succeeded, but unfortunately, he had a screwed up marriage that pretty much put the end to his coaching. He was the ideal Dodd disciple and one of Dodd's favorites, both as a player and an assistant.
I always wondered why he gave it up so fast. I liked him and thought the way he salvaged the '72 team and all the turmoil with the bowl was pretty remarkable.

I always wondered why he gave it up so fast. I liked him and thought the way he salvaged the '72 team and all the turmoil with the bowl was pretty remarkable.
I don't know the whole story there, but since he and I both are from Augusta, I know more than most Tech fans do. He had a totally f'd up marriage, and it took it all out of him. The sad thing is, after he got out of that one, he married another crazy woman (later divorced). He really had the potential to be an incredible coach, and he probably would have stayed there until he retired too, if he had been dealt a better deal (or chose better women.....LOL).

Mack

Helluva Engineer
One could argue Dodd left because he could no longer stomach the unlevel playing field in recruiting. I wouldn't call that leaving on one's own terms.
Think Dodd picked right time to go but he had some physical. Problems......Dodd could have stayed ss long as he wanted too and had fair team coming back....Kim King and Lenny Snow come to mind so he would have had good team....not nine wins but decent.Will agree though he was upset with the un level recruiting practices.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the whole story there, but since he and I both are from Augusta, I know more than most Tech fans do. He had a totally f'd up marriage, and it took it all out of him. The sad thing is, after he got out of that one, he married another crazy woman (later divorced). He really had the potential to be an incredible coach, and he probably would have stayed there until he retired too, if he had been dealt a better deal (or chose better women.....LOL).
Bill was ready to quit after first yr but Dodd. Talked him out of it.yeah he started coaching in high school and knew the game.Did well in Waynesboro.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
He really did well everywhere he went. I think he would have done great at Tech if he had stayed.
Yeah since I live in Wadley many guys from Midville never played a down of hs ball until he showed up in Waynesboro and he did well teaching a predominantly powerful basketball school how to take players and play football.He was a good one no doubt and yes women did him in it appears.

I don't know how I feel about that. I didn't want Roof back when Johnson hired him, but he has proved me wrong. I understand he was terribly micromanaged by GOL when he was DC the first time, and I don't think he really got much support while HC at Duke. If he can do like GOL, and like Dabo has recently done at Clemson, by hiring the best OC's he can find to run the offense, then I think he can probably be a good HC. If he tries to do it all himself, like many others have tried, then he's doomed to fail. I DO think there would be less upheaval overall if Roof succeeded Johnson, whenever Johnson does leave.
We can't afford the BEST assistants. This needs to given a lot of thought, though, because trust me, Paul Johnson is leaving in December. His heart is not in it. If you look back over the years hiring of football coaches is NOT Georgia Tech's forte for some reason. We need to get the next hire right, because another snafu on top of Gailey and Johnson will compound our already bleak situation.

They all have the same micro-processor. :)

In Curry's defense, he faced some pretty steep hurdles. The facilities were the worst in the country. He had no talent to speak of and a challenging schedule. Little wonder he left. He did leave the legacy of the Black Watch and had pretty good teams before he left. But yes, your point is well taken. He probably was not a good football coach but at that time he was about the best Tech could do.
And Curry would have never been hired if Franklin Brooks had not gotten cancer.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We can't afford the BEST assistants. This needs to given a lot of thought, though, because trust me, Paul Johnson is leaving in December. His heart is not in it. If you look back over the years hiring of football coaches is NOT Georgia Tech's forte for some reason. We need to get the next hire right, because another snafu on top of Gailey and Johnson will compound our already bleak situation.
I disagree with this. I don’t even think his heart has to be in it. I think his desire to succeed is based more off of stubbornness than heart. He wants to prove he can win his way.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with this. I don’t even think his heart has to be in it. I think his desire to succeed is based more off of stubbornness than heart. He wants to prove he can win his way.
I agree.
He has a very deep competitive streak. He would never, and I mean never, just go through the motions. The moment he loses that competitive nature is the moment he resigns. He is not there yet.
The other things about coach is that he really likes helping young people which is why he is so good with them.

Totally disagree. He will never just walk away from anything. I don't see why you say his heart's not in it anyway. I sense a vigor and excitement in him that I haven't seen in the past.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Totally disagree. He will never just walk away from anything. I don't see why you say his heart's not in it anyway. I sense a vigor and excitement in him that I haven't seen in the past.
I agree with you on PJ not walking away.If he does where does he go.......he will be admitting his offense will not work at a big school so does he retire and play golf which aint all bad,drop to lower class or become a announcer.I think PJ wants this offense to work.........we all do but him taking a hike is hard to figure..It is clear though he is in middle of a fight since the fans are split on him and this offense.