7 GT Football Players Named To ACC All-Academic Team

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Clayton Powell-Lee, Dylan Leonard, Gavin Stewart, Henry Freer, Jude Kelley, Jason Moore, and David Shanahan were the Yellow Jackets that were named.

Freer is the first football student-athlete to ever be admitted to a Ph.D. program at Georgia Tech during his playing career.

https://www.si.com/college/georgiat...ds-seven-players-on-the-all-acc-academic-team

Of further note, Freer and Moore are engineering majors. The people with the ability to accomplish that AND play D1 P5 sports are very rare indeed. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that.

I know or have known many engineers through the years as well as many guys/gals who played one sport or another collegiately. But I have only met (and worked with) one individual who played D1 college FB (at Tech FWIW and was good enough to get invited to some NFL camps as a UDFA) and majored in engineering. He was as impressive an individual in person as his resume would suggest but at the same time, one of the most humble and genuine people I have met.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Ellis Gardner was an EE grad with 3.6 GPA. Graduated with highest GPA in EE his senior year. Played pro ball. There was a plaque on the wall in the EE building honoring his accomplishment when I was a student. He was from Chattanooga. There were a few athletes in EE with me. I had a couple of classes with Herman Lamm in the early 70's. Very rare though.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Ellis Gardner was an EE grad with 3.6 GPA. Graduated with highest GPA in EE his senior year. Played pro ball. There was a plaque on the wall in the EE building honoring his accomplishment when I was a student. He was from Chattanooga. There were a few athletes in EE with me. I had a couple of classes with Herman Lamm in the early 70's. Very rare though.
I think Gardner and Sheldon Fox must have overlapped by a year or two. I think Fox graduated in 1980 with a 4.0 in EE while playing LB.

Pretty sure Gardner tutored my wife through one of her EE classes.