54, 60, 48, 44, 51

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
That's the ranking of our last 5 recruiting classes (i.e - the players on the field for this season). There's a reason our offense has been effectively shut out 3 years in a row against UGA (not to mention what Clemson has been doing to us), no matter who the X&O coaches were. Nobody is surprised when one of those teams massacres say ... Vanderbilt or NC State or something, but we've recruited even worse than those programs.

We have bottom tier P5 talent, and play a top tier P5 schedule - we had a few year breather in the late '00s / early '10s where UGA and Clemson were both pretty average as well, but that's over. There isn't a fix for that other than going out and getting some Jimmies and Joes.

Our first top 25 class since 2007 (you know, the class that made up the core of the '08 and '09 teams we remember so fondly) is coming in this offseason. Hopefully there will be several more to build a base a talent that gives us a chance to compete.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When watching that game yesterday, when they panned down to the line of scrimmage, the size differential was incredible. It honestly really looked like a varsity vs. JV game and several in my viewing party commented on that. Our kids fought their tails off (kudos to them and the coaches for that!) but we have to close the size gap. And that is going to take a few years as you don't expect FR or RS FR on the LOS to make the type of immediate impact that a WR or RB can. It is what it is. I know that is hard to accept for some but that is the reality of where this program is right now.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
That's the ranking of our last 5 recruiting classes (i.e - the players on the field for this season). There's a reason our offense has been effectively shut out 3 years in a row against UGA (not to mention what Clemson has been doing to us), no matter who the X&O coaches were. Nobody is surprised when one of those teams massacres say ... Vanderbilt or NC State or something, but we've recruited even worse than those programs.

We have bottom tier P5 talent, and play a top tier P5 schedule - we had a few year breather in the late '00s / early '10s where UGA and Clemson were both pretty average as well, but that's over. There isn't a fix for that other than going out and getting some Jimmies and Joes.

Our first top 25 class since 2007 (you know, the class that made up the core of the '08 and '09 teams we remember so fondly) is coming in this offseason. Hopefully there will be several more to build a base a talent that gives us a chance to compete.
So what
Temple 80, 59,119,83,105.
UVa 50, 63, 58, 59, 39

Recruiting is important but it takes more
FSU 3,3,6,11,19

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well there are 130 FBS schools playing football. Those numbers should put us at the middle of the pack there. I think there are 65 Power 5 schools so those numbers would put us in the bottom third of that group. Still worst case we should win 1 out of 3 against Power 5 and over half of the rest. Counting the Citadel game, it looks like those recruiting results should have eared us 3.6 wins VS. Power 5 and a Citadel win would have given us 4.6 wins VS. 7.4 losses. So we slightly underperformed our talent based on my evaluation of recent recruiting results. 5 and 7 was probably a more realistic expectation than the actual 3 and 9. I think we underperformed our potential.

Go Jackets!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So we slightly underperformed our talent based on my evaluation of recent recruiting results. 5 and 7 was probably a more realistic expectation than the actual 3 and 9. I think we underperformed our potential.

Go Jackets!

If we had gotten to your magic 5 and 7, what would have changed in the grand scheme of things? Maybe not losing to the Citadel and perhaps Temple might have calmed some of the vocal minority who is convinced that the apocalypse is upon us but at the end of the day, the very larger issue remains. And will remain until it is fixed by this guy or the next or the one even after him.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Recruiting will only get marginally better when the Hill allows it as well as our big $$$ alums step up and contribute more. It would also help sell recruits on GC's vision if we could put more butts in the stands and not have our rivalry game, in our house, placed by idiot Dwag fans. That's not a rining endorsement of "come to Tech" and you'll get noticed.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah if only we played Temple's schedule every year . And UVA is experiencing their one exceptional year amidst many more futile, much like our 2014 run.

UVa, much like us in 2014, has a terrific QB that arrived in sort of strange circumstances (Thomas because he didn't want to play DB at Alabama, Perkins because he broke his neck while at ASU).

It's possible to have individual very good seasons while recruiting extremely poorly, it's not like recruiting is a perfect science. It's not possible to have sustained success though.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
We may indeed sign a top 25 class but if you look at the class it’s sprinkled with linemen and we only have one that shows over 300 lbs.

Compare that with the other schools. They are signing 330-350 lb linemen coming in.

It will take 3 classes and a lot of development before we see a significant change on either line.

Not complaining just pointing out that we aren’t going to see an immediate impact from this upcoming class on the field. Maybe the biggest impact will be oddly enough in recruiting reputation.

BTW if stars do mean anything Gleason is a 3 star “athlete”, I’m pretty sure Graham was a 4 star “athlete”

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This thread title should be stickied to the top and then add the class of 2020 and ask - see a difference.

Not only has our recruiting been awful, but we have no QB on the roster (maybe Yates). Thankfully that changes in January. Virginia is a perfect example - mediocre recruiting with a legit QB can lead to wins in college football. We did it with Thomas then fell off sharply afterward. Collins will get us top 20 recruiting with legit QB’s. We’ll be a consistent top 20 type team and then catch lightening every so often.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We may indeed sign a top 25 class but if you look at the class it’s sprinkled with linemen and we only have one that shows over 300 lbs.

Compare that with the other schools. They are signing 330-350 lb linemen coming in.

It will take 3 classes and a lot of development before we see a significant change on either line.

Not complaining just pointing out that we aren’t going to see an immediate impact from this upcoming class on the field. Maybe the biggest impact will be oddly enough in recruiting reputation.

BTW if stars do mean anything Gleason is a 3 star “athlete”, I’m pretty sure Graham was a 4 star “athlete”

Gleason is a 3 star QB, who had a uga offer among many others. Graham was a 4 star athlete who other schools did not see as a QB at this level. Graham was rated by people thinking he would play DB or WR in college. Doesn't mean he can't be good, but there is a distinction.

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not complaining just pointing out that we aren’t going to see an immediate impact from this upcoming class on the field. Maybe the biggest impact will be oddly enough in recruiting reputation.”

Hence the 7 year contract. Next year will be another spring practice type year because of your point. We’ll win a few more games because several teams will take a step back and we’ll get all our injured and transfers on the field. But there is a reason Collins was given a 7 year contract.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

If you want to argue about recruiting rankings/numbers and can't see the lack of talent on the field, then compare the number of All ACC players and players drafted by the NFL and over the last 5 years. This post is dead on. It's about overall team talent.

Deleted member 2897

And this was the 2nd time in the last 25 years where we didn't have at least a 0.500 record in ACC play. We always made something work before, but not this year.

The key thing we will all be watching for over the next few years is can we recruit significantly better than we used to. And can we coach at least well enough to do anything with it.

The coaches wanted to massively change our offensive scheme and had a horrible rash of injuries to deal with. But they should still be embarrassed. If the ball bounced our way a few times we could have won 5 games. But we also could have gone 0-12 without much bad luck the other way. Even before we had all our injury problems we were losing to the Citadel and USF had to try and hand us the game 17 times before we would take it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Hence the 7 year contract. Next year will be another spring practice type year because of your point. We’ll win a few more games because several teams will take a step back and we’ll get all our injured and transfers on the field. But there is a reason Collins was given a 7 year contract.
Look I like CGC hope he makes it at Tech . But now a days the only reason to give any head coach a contract for 7 years is stupidity. If you can't tell after 5 years you do not need to be an AD at a D1 school.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Well there are 130 FBS schools playing football. Those numbers should put us at the middle of the pack there. I think there are 65 Power 5 schools so those numbers would put us in the bottom third of that group. Still worst case we should win 1 out of 3 against Power 5 and over half of the rest. Counting the Citadel game, it looks like those recruiting results should have eared us 3.6 wins VS. Power 5 and a Citadel win would have given us 4.6 wins VS. 7.4 losses. So we slightly underperformed our talent based on my evaluation of recent recruiting results. 5 and 7 was probably a more realistic expectation than the actual 3 and 9. I think we underperformed our potential.

Go Jackets!
I generally agree with this however when you throw in a few intangibles like new offensive scheme and an inordinate number of season ending injuries at already thin areas of the team (and a death at the thinnest area of the team) it's easy to see being under your 3.6 wins vs power 5 teams conclusion.

Also as 4shotB pointed out regarding the size difference down the line of scrimmage being so astounding it wasn't just ugag who is way bigger than us. It was just about everyone we played. Gonna take a couple of years to close the size gap. We've got to close strong in recruiting. I'm sure there will be some musical chairs but as long as we replace whoever jumps ship in the next few weeks with similar talent we should finish with a top 20-30 class. Hopefully we can snag a couple of big DT's here at the end.