50 Years Ago Coach Dodd Retired - 22 years and 165 wins

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I read an autobiography by Bear Bryant. He stated that after about 1961 he had made a lot of progress in making Alabama a powerhouse but then he would look across the field and see "...that damned Dodd" Someone mentioned Jerry Stovall. He ran a kickoff back for a touchdown to beat Tech sometime in the early 1960s. He could fly.
That game was 1962 GT lost 10-7

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I was a freshman that year, and the play of the game was a dropped wide-open pass to Joe Auer on the sideline. I don't remember at what point of the game that occurred, but had it been completed, Auer would have either scored or put us in prime position to score and quite likely win the game.
I'm surprised that wasn't shown and Freddie Miller didn't comment on that in the video;)

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Tech didn't lose to the mutts in '56. The end of "the drought" came in '57. Tech's record in '56 was 10-1, losing to Tenn 0-6 in the 7th game of the regular season. Tech beat Georgia 35-0
There was a story about the 1956 season concerning UGAG head coach Wallace Butts. UGAG went 3-6-1 and probably had the worst offense in the SEC in 1956, Wallace Butts told a reporter that he slept all season on the first floor of his house because he said he was scared that he would jump in his sleep:LOL::ROFLMAO:

1956 3-6-1 Georgia football team

@Vanderbilt L 14-0
FSU won 3-0
Miss State L 19-7
North Carolina W 26-12
Miami T 7-7
Kentucky L 14-7
Florida L 28-0
@Alabama W 16-13
Auburn L 20-0
Georgia Tech L 35-0

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was a freshman that year, and the play of the game was a dropped wide-open pass to Joe Auer on the sideline. I don't remember at what point of the game that occurred, but had it been completed, Auer would have either scored or put us in prime position to score and quite likely win the game.
I still remember Al's call of that play. Something like this:

"Lothridge back to pass. Auer's wide open headed down field! The pass is there … He dropped the ball! He was wide open going down the sidelines and he dropped the ball!"

I never heard Al so disappointed in my life. The play had been set up for the whole game - Coach isn't the first person to hold off on a play that's open until he can get the best payoff for it - and, if Auer had caught it, Bob Hayes couldn't have caught him from behind. I was as disappointed as Al was, btw.

I still remember Al's call of that play. Something like this:

"Lothridge back to pass. Auer's wide open headed down field! The pass is there … He dropped the ball! He was wide open going down the sidelines and he dropped the ball!"

I never heard Al so disappointed in my life. The play had been set up for the whole game - Coach isn't the first person to hold off on a play that's open until he can get the best payoff for it - and, if Auer had caught it, Bob Hayes couldn't have caught him from behind. I was as disappointed as Al was, btw.
You could not have been more disappointed than all the Tech fans in the stadium. It was just unbelievable, and there was no excuse for him dropping it. He was not spoken highly of on campus the rest of the season.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
You could not have been more disappointed than all the Tech fans in the stadium. It was just unbelievable, and there was no excuse for him dropping it. He was not spoken highly of on campus the rest of the season.
There was no way that GT should have tied a 4 win Florida State team in 1962. I think the 1962 Jackets should have with their talent have been no worse than 9-1. They very well could have beaten LSU and should have beaten 6-3-1 Auburn and 4-3-3 Florida State. GT should have been playing the 9-1 Arkansas Razorbacks or 9-0 Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
No reason to have lost to the mutts in '65 either
Yeah UGAG lost to a 4-6 FSU team,6-4 Kentucky team and a 5-5-1 Auburn team that season. UGAG should have been 4-6 in 1965. Alabama was screwed on the Kirby Moore play when his knees were down in the 18-17 win by UGAG over Alabama and GT should have kicked the Dwags around at home.