5 things to know about GT-Minnesota...

GophFaninFL

Georgia Tech Fan
Minnesota defensively has seen a night and day difference since Robb Smith was fired. Contrary to what I've read here, I think it is laterally fast enough to control the edges. Illinois and Nebraska did most of the damage running between the tackles and the secondary being out of position to make tackles. Maryland was the exception having success with sweeps. Cashman will be missed as he has a knack for being around the ball carrier. If Minnesota can get the ball moving toward sidelines and be disciplined, it will have success in my opinion.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Minnesota defensively has seen a night and day difference since Robb Smith was fired. Contrary to what I've read here, I think it is laterally fast enough to control the edges. Illinois and Nebraska did most of the damage running between the tackles and the secondary being out of position to make tackles. Maryland was the exception having success with sweeps. Cashman will be missed as he has a knack for being around the ball carrier. If Minnesota can get the ball moving toward sidelines and be disciplined, it will have success in my opinion.

Tech is strong up the middle (C and G), and not so strong on the edge (T). I know I'm Captain Obvious here, but when we run the TO, you'd better get into our backfield and disrupt the play or you're toast. If you do get into the backfield and disrupt the pitch, we're the toast.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tech is strong up the middle (C and G), and not so strong on the edge (T). I know I'm Captain Obvious here, but when we run the TO, you'd better get into our backfield and disrupt the play or you're toast. If you do get into the backfield and disrupt the pitch, we're the toast.

So just win the LOS and the Gophers win. Doubt that happens, but it's a good reason to play the game.

With our kicking and return improvements, we **should** win ST.

D is the area I think we'll have the most problems. Need to get turnovers and third down stops. We have been awful there.

Big story is still who will be suspended and for how long.

GophFaninFL

Georgia Tech Fan
OJ Smith had been injured for much of the BT season and has had an impact in the run game. He was a big reason that Jonathan Taylor was limited in the Wisconsin game. I suspect the Huff brothers will be counted on to fill the void left by Cashman. The big question is will someone other Coughlin be able to get into the backfield consistently?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
OJ Smith had been injured for much of the BT season and has had an impact in the run game. He was a big reason that Jonathan Taylor was limited in the Wisconsin game. I suspect the Huff brothers will be counted on to fill the void left by Cashman. The big question is will someone other Coughlin be able to get into the backfield consistently?
Coughlin looks like a really good player, so he will get his stops. Here's your issue. If he starts getting into the backfield against us Johnson will exploit that fact. LBs over pursuing is what what happens when the DL guys cannot make plays without the LBs help. If he is getting into the backfield he is not available to help with the QB on the keep/pitch option.

I think it's going to be a good game because I do not like our D stopping the Minnesota passing game. If I were betting, the over would be my friend. This could be a game where the loser scores five times.

GophFaninFL

Georgia Tech Fan
Coughlin looks like a really good player, so he will get his stops. Here's your issue. If he starts getting into the backfield against us Johnson will exploit that fact. LBs over pursuing is what what happens when the DL guys cannot make plays without the LBs help. If he is getting into the backfield he is not available to help with the QB on the keep/pitch option.

I think it's going to be a good game because I do not like our D stopping the Minnesota passing game. If I were betting, the over would be my friend. This could be a game where the loser scores five times.

Yeah, this could be a long game if Coughlin doesn't get any DL help that's for certain. This game has a 65+ combined score feel to it as well.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Just to have one last FlexBone TO Xs and Os moment, am I right in thinking that over pursuit by the middle LB gets countered with a mid-line option? I'm good with the change...it's probably time....but I'll honestly miss this offense and all the tactics.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
If I may add an opinion or two here, the only teams that GT faced this season that succeeded in getting into GT’s offensive backfield — and shutting down the perimeter with speed to the corners — were Clemson and UGA. And Duke managed to do some of that, too.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Minny's lateral speed on defense which is what you need to have success against our offense just isnt there, not from the film I've seen. Now could they play better than expected? Sure...But Tech should be able to seal the edges and have a lot of success on the perimeter if we dont just miss blocks and blow assignments. The only 2 teams that really stopped us on the edge were Clumpson and UGA. Those 2 defenses were also the fastest, most explosive we will have faced all season long.