5 things I'd like from new AD

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it's pretty clear based on reading the AJC the last few days and reading what some "in the know" posters have posted here that the relationship between the school and the AA is not in the best of shape. I also know the way to fix it is by working to compromise, rather than push and shove. Having said that, here are 5 things I'd like to see done in order to ensure the viability and growth of GT athletics moving forward. Feel free to make your own list or add to mine;

1. The Calculus requirement. I understand that it's never going away fully, but even being able to buy an incoming freshman an additional year to acclimate himself to the rigors of GT as a student before having to "face the devil:" would be very helpful both in recruiting and retention. I can't count on two hands the number of potential SA's who have told me the reason they aren't more interested in GT is not because they have to take calculus, but because of how soon they have to take it.

2. And this is kind of a piggyback to #1, but I'd like to see Georgia Tech form a more official relationship with Georgia Military College and other various schools around the state that can offer calculus and other APR-compliant courses for JUCO's that might have not gotten interested in GT until late in the process. It can't hurt to try, and if we get even a handful of kids from it, it would be worth it.

3. Greater pressure on both the powers at GT and the Board of Regents to increase the levels of co-operation with GT's AA. If the BOR won't agree to something reasonable, call them out on it. Embarrass them on ESPN if necessary. The only way to get what you want sometimes is to publicly ask for it. If it's not "the Tech way," then maybe it's time to re-evaluate that way of thinking.

4. Increase budget for recruiting and on-campus support staff for athletics. I think this one is self-explanatory.

5. Greater focus on developing young alumni programs that lead to increased AA donations. I worry about what GT's athletic budget will look like in 25 years...

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
How about hiring someone with a marketing degree or has read marketing for dummies who can think outside of the box. BDS is the winningest on campus stadium and outside of this fan base nobody else in the country knows that fact. Furthermore, the sight lines for a football game are outstanding as opposed to some 100,000+ venue where you need two sets of binoculars to watch the game.

The visitors section at Clemson in the upper stands can only be navigated by the advanced members of the cross-fit community or experienced sherpas. GT needs to start using the approach that it's better to actually go to a college football game where you can see the action as opposed to being surrounded by a 100,000+ people so far away from the field you'd be better off staying home watching it on a flat screen. At BDS it's like having the best of both worlds.

Mick Jagger picked this stadium because he wanted an intimate environment and it was a sell out. I'm tired of hearing the comments about the small stadium size and until someone aggressively starts to market this program and game day experience by utilizing the rich history it contains, then perception becomes reality.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
They don't have to take calculus (or Survey of Calculus) when they first get there. They have to continue to make progress towards graduation, but I know a number of Management majors who took Survey Spring and Summer Quarters. I'd be surprised if all the freshmen take calc their first semester.
Don't they have to take it freshman year, though? I could be remembering wrong.....

Cam

Helluva Engineer
What's the argument for taking calculus again? A friend of mine was in the International Affairs major and had to take Survey of Calculus. Which just seems... unnecessary. I understand that it teaches you a lot about how the world works and, specifically, how things change over time. But is it really necessary to teach someone calculus who never has to use it? Hell, when I was in high school, I brought my calculus homework to 3 different engineers who knew less about basic concepts than I did. I wish there were more alternatives you could take in place of it for certain majors. Then again, I also wish they would make alternatives to the Health class, but that's also likely never to change.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'm fine with calc. We just need some better marketing and selling of the school. That means we need an AD who goes out of their way to sell the school/AA rather than taking it as it comes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Stephon Tuitt...who famously spurned us for Notre Dame had to take Calc his freshmen year at ND. Calc (or Survey of Calc) isn't the hindrance we make it out to be. If an SA wants to go a top notch school with a top notch degree in business or engineering, he'll have to take Calc no matter where he goes. Andrew Luck had to take Calc at Stanford. That's the type of SAs GT needs to focus on.

Will GT lose some guys because of the math requirements...yes, but we only need to find 15-20 kids a year who can and are willing to take Calc. It's a just a class, it's not a nail in the coffin.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My only point was that some of these kids aren't ready for survey of calculus when they arrive on campus. They don't have to take it right away to stay eligible. I agree it's not that complicated. I dated an m-train co-ed my freshman year who was taking MATH 1407. What she was doing was consistent with precalc in HS, and that was 1987.

SouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Brother.jpg

•From the south
•Experience in public office/politickin'
•Experienced fund raiser
•Ability to pardon any players that might get into trouble