5 Games in: Observations

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
You're right. We will not out-recruit UGA, Clemson, Bama. We can recruit well enough--especially considering our prime geographic location--to be in the top 2

One thing we “can’t do” is beat Clemson, Kirby’s UGA, and the Bamas of the world doing what we did for the last 11 years. We got straight up manhandled by the teams you mention. Couldn’t stop them. Couldn’t move the ball. Nothing. So we might as well try something that at least gives us a chance.

Gotta add mighty Duke to the list. Cutcliffe had surpassed PJ in both recruiting and gameday coaching. We weren't going to beat them again either.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, thanks for posting and not saying cgc is a bad coach. Maybe this will slow the all the time negative nancies down.

Could u comment on the ol play of the walk on center Lay.? I thought he did real well in the second half of unc.
Dont u think the injuries to the ol have caused a lot of our early issues?

Now that the agony of losing to citadel is a numb feeling, doesnt experience make the 14 orange bowl victory so much sweeter. Playing a well disciplined option team is a Bxxxx .
Thanks for that. In no way do I think CGC is a bad coach. If you really watch what has been happening within 3 yards of the ball, you will understand all the nitpicking of the small stuff just doesn't matter in the greater context. I'm not going to comment on Lay, nor the rest of the line beyond what I have already said. The kids are playing hard, and mostly smart. That is all you can ask. The injuries along the OL obviously happened in a part of the roster we could least afford, so yes, it has mattered a great deal. With that said, even with zero injuries, we are still in a heap of trouble trying to run this offense with the personnel that started the year on the depth chart (excuse me ATL). I have zero doubt we would be way ahead of where we are now if we were still running the flex-bone on offense, merely because of the role of the OL, but none of that stuff matters now. We have chosen a path. We have to take it. On the bright side, anybody who says we aren't in a better position right now on defense really hasn't been watching. I really like what I see beyond the LOS. If you are unconvinced and want context, just consider a couple facts: we had the ball 13 times on offense and managed to run a total of 52 plays. For you non-math TECHIES that is an average of 4 plays per possession. You try playing defense against 100 hurry-up plays under those conditions and then talk to me. IMHO, if we could have sustained some drives, with or without points, to even up the TOP and total plays, we may have had a decent chance yesterday. We could have done a better job on third down defense obviously, but sustaining drives on O has value for the defense too. It was good to see us score some, but there was no consistency at all.

LibertyTurns

Banned
So this is always the counter point. Oh boy, we got one guy. How come we can't recruit 8 of him. Because that is what UGA, Clemson etc do. I said we can get a few, just not enough.
We were ranked 8th in 2014 playing with a high school offense using players recruited to play another 4 years of high school football. It’s like the excuse I hear my Engineers make, “well it worked a couple times so it should work every time”. Well, it didn’t work way more times that it did work, so maybe it should never have worked? Life’s full of averages. If what you’re doing works less frequently than you think it should, something has to change.

9-4 gets you ranked in the Top 25. With a recruiting ranking of 25, you should win 60% of your P5 games. We’re playing 9-10/yr (8 in ACC, plus mutt, plus maybe 1 other) so that’s 5.5-6.0 wins. 2 wins over the weak sisters gets you to 7.5-8.0 wins per year on average in regular season. Then you got a P5 bowl game that you have a 50% shot of winning. To get to a 9-4 record on average, we’re going to need to recruit around 18-20th to have an even odds shot at being ranked every year or roughly 25% of our recruits need to be 4*’s, or you need better than average coaching or you need a scheme that maximizes your personnel strengths while minimizing their weaknesses.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
So this is always the counter point. Oh boy, we got one guy. How come we can't recruit 8 of him. Because that is what UGA, Clemson etc do. I said we can get a few, just not enough.
Finish in the top 25 three years in a row and our recruiting will change. We do not have to compete with Bama and UGA right now, just be competitive and be relative for a couple of years, and things will change. I still say look at VT and what they did when they joined the ACC. They were able to be in the national picture without being in the top 10 in the country. This is a process, and I fully understand what this staff is trying to do. This team needs to be built up year over year, and continue to show progress.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We were ranked 8th in 2014 playing with a high school offense using players recruited to play another 4 years of high school football. It’s like the excuse I hear my Engineers make, “well it worked a couple times so it should work every time”. Well, it didn’t work way more times that it did work, so maybe it should never have worked? Life’s full of averages. If what you’re doing works less frequently than you think it should, something has to change.

9-4 gets you ranked in the Top 25. With a recruiting ranking of 25, you should win 60% of your P5 games. We’re playing 9-10/yr (8 in ACC, plus mutt, plus maybe 1 other) so that’s 5.5-6.0 wins. 2 wins over the weak sisters gets you to 7.5-8.0 wins per year on average in regular season. Then you got a P5 bowl game that you have a 50% shot of winning. To get to a 9-4 record on average, we’re going to need to recruit around 18-20th to have an even odds shot at being ranked every year or roughly 25% of our recruits need to be 4*’s, or you need better than average coaching or you need a scheme that maximizes your personnel strengths while minimizing their weaknesses.
I for one believe that CGC can recruit that well, consistently

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
So I asked this question in another thread, but this may be a better place for it.
Based on listening to the coaches and our knowledgeable posters on this board, it seems we are going to need a complete overhaul of both our offensive and defensive lines in order to be competitive. That is, in part, why we are bringing in 5-6 OL this recruiting class.
We all know that OL and DL take a couple of years to mature and gain enough strength in order to compete effectively in college. So that seems to imply that we are going to have 3 extremely sub-par years. As a fanbase, are we willing to accept 3 straight losing seasons before we can field a competitive team again?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So I asked this question in another thread, but this may be a better place for it.
Based on listening to the coaches and our knowledgeable posters on this board, it seems we are going to need a complete overhaul of both our offensive and defensive lines in order to be competitive. That is, in part, why we are bringing in 5-6 OL this recruiting class.
We all know that OL and DL take a couple of years to mature and gain enough strength in order to compete effectively in college. So that seems to imply that we are going to have 3 extremely sub-par years. As a fanbase, are we willing to accept 3 straight losing seasons before we can field a competitive team again?

If I told my boss we wouldn’t deliver for 3 years, I would be fired.

You are expected to manage events.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It depends.

If we are seeing steady improvement, then I think patience will be extended.

If we see a ton of inconsistency, unexpected steps backwards, then I fear we will lose patience. (aka Citadel).

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Gotta add mighty Duke to the list. Cutcliffe had surpassed PJ in both recruiting and gameday coaching. We weren't going to beat them again either.
Have you looked at the $ puke has started spending on extra staff etc. Idc who the coach is, if tech doesn't have $ to spend, we will fall further & further behind everyone.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Have you looked at the $ puke has started spending on extra staff etc. Idc who the coach is, if tech doesn't have $ to spend, we will fall further & further behind everyone.

Jeff Cooper, noted gunman, was asked why he didn’t have a high round magazine.

“If you know what you’re doing, you don’t need it.”

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The biggest difference is you could probably fire and hire staff. We cannot, it takes time to bring in and develop players. You may not like to hear that, but there is a difference.

No offense but my boss would say, ok ... what CAN we do? Just roll over? No.

You’re expected to manage it. That’s the job.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Cooper, noted gunman, was asked why he didn’t have a high round magazine.

“If you know what you’re doing, you don’t need it.”
Nice, but $ talks for the Clemsons, bamas, Ohio states, ugags, Floridas.

Seems to be a direct correlation in the money spent, except perhaps Tennessee. When you are at the bottom in # of staff etc, you sure better know what the hell you are doing.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
No offense but my boss would say, ok ... what CAN we do? Just roll over? No.

You’re expected to manage it. That’s the job.
I don’t see us rolling over. We’ve played three qb’s. Our O-line consists of preferred walk ons and I saw plenty of substitutions. I constantly saw people get off the field and sit down with coaches to get coached up. These guys are coaching, and Geoff is recruiting hard and trying to put the GT brand in everyone’s face within the state. I think we are seeing the what can we do, and we have to get the guys in here.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We don't need every OL recruit to contribute right away, but there will need to be a couple special frosh ready to go, otherwise it could take that long. Maybe there will be a transfer in our future.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The biggest difference is you could probably fire and hire staff. We cannot, it takes time to bring in and develop players. You may not like to hear that, but there is a difference.
Sorry Dude, but you think staffs running companies don’t need to be developed? Hate to tell you but competent people ready to implement your processes/vision just don’t descend upon you when you summon them to your work site and normally you’re not permitted to just waltz in & fire everyone in sight. AND you’re generally not permitted to destroy the operation & rebuild it on your own timetable unless you got a Boss with a huge budget & time on his side, ie a unicorn scenario.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

On the offensive side of the ball, I never worried about the ranking of our recruits during CPJ's tenure. They were specialized type players not evaluated from the same pool as the mainstream. That includes OL as well. The rankings, although still bordering on bogus imho, may start to matter a little more now.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry Dude, but you think staffs running companies don’t need to be developed? Hate to tell you but competent people ready to implement your processes/vision just don’t descend upon you when you summon them to your work site and normally you’re not permitted to just waltz in & fire everyone in sight. AND you’re generally not permitted to destroy the operation & rebuild it on your own timetable unless you got a Boss with a huge budget & time on his side, ie a unicorn scenario.
True, however you are missing the point. We don’t have the horses to run with these guys. What else can the coaches do? Surely you guys can see the size difference on the lines. We are playing with PWO’s.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
True, however you are missing the point. We don’t have the horses to run with these guys. What else can the coaches do? Surely you guys can see the size difference on the lines. We are playing with PWO’s.

So the AD was asleep at the wheel?