404 Day Numbers

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
No, not at all. If you read the post again, you'll see that I said I understand why the meme was adopted.

In future, however, I'd stick to the ATL as our id. We are drawing from the entire metro area and, I might add, that's how the place is identified in national media.

Oh, and smokey, I'm not worried about recruits from Florida; what do they know, anyhow? I'm worried about negative recruiting playing on the exclusionary aspects of the meme for "metro Atlanta kids". Maybe not this year, but why give a rival recruiter any kind of edge going forward? Given Tech's academic requirements, we don't even want to flirt with that.
So you don’t think someone would try to use ATL against us in South Georgia?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No, not at all. If you read the post again, you'll see that I said I understand why the meme was adopted.

In future, however, I'd stick to the ATL as our id. We are drawing from the entire metro area and, I might add, that's how the place is identified in national media.

Oh, and smokey, I'm not worried about recruits from Florida; what do they know, anyhow? I'm worried about negative recruiting playing on the exclusionary aspects of the meme for "metro Atlanta kids". Maybe not this year, but why give a rival recruiter any kind of edge going forward? Given Tech's academic requirements, we don't even want to flirt with that.

You are overthinking it. "A-T-L" is a bit outdated and 404 just rolls off the tongue. I dont think the 678 or 770 kids are gonna mind. Lol

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Again, GT's phone number has the area code 404. GT is 404. 404 isn't about where the recruit is from or that we only want kids from the 404, it's about choosing to represent the 404(GT) with your commitment and going to war for the 404(GT).

Deleted member 2897

I just sent them an idea over at the GTAA about a temporary rebranding of the AT Fund for a sticker as their next spot promo - anybody who has given before the end of their fiscal year (end of June) gets a one-off rebranded AT Fund sticker that could be a #404Takeover or #GoldBlooded or #biGTime or whatever type of thing. Personally, I think the sticker thing you get every year is very bland. I'd love to see them come out with something more hip.

So, back to the #404 takeover. $325,000 raised. That's $100,000 given and matched...then another $60k+ given and then matched. $160k/$404 = ...wait for it...almost exactly 404 people who donated.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I was laughing at this too. He is making me hate being in Houston. Wish I could find a way to make it to the game. I love they are doing this limited number run stuff though.

Love the hat and the bag. It’s going to be great for a gym bag. With separate ventilated picked for shower Sandles and my shoes and a third larger pocket for clothes/etc. plus two bottle holders for water and protein shake blender bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I was laughing at this too. He is making me hate being in Houston. Wish I could find a way to make it to the game. I love they are doing this limited number run stuff though.

Love the hat and the bag. It’s going to be great for a gym bag. With separate ventilated picked for shower Sandles and my shoes and a third larger pocket for clothes/etc. plus two bottle holders for water and protein shake blender bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does the bag lift weights, too! ;)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There is reaching to find something to critique and then there is reaaaaalllly reaching.
I wasn't reaching. I'm actually concerned about this.

Your problem - shared by several here - is that anything mentioned about our recent hype that strikes one of us wrong is seen as some kind of criticism of Coach. I said in the original post - you might read that again - that I understood why we were doing it. I simply thought it had some risks. We don't want to take any we can avoid, even small ones; the new program is just starting. That really was all I meant. Really.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't reaching. I'm actually concerned about this.

Your problem - shared by several here - is that anything mentioned about our recent hype that strikes one of us wrong is seen as some kind of criticism of Coach. I said in the original post - you might read that again - that I understood why we were doing it. I simply thought it had some risks. We don't want to take any we can avoid, even small ones; the new program is just starting. That really was all I meant. Really.

We get that you're actually concerned about it. Most of us think you're concerned about something that is bringing in so much more than the minute/almost non-existent chance that it will alienate a tiny percentage of kids vs the HUMONGOUS percentage of kids it is resonating with. The risk, if there is any (and I don't think there is, but I respect your opinion that there is some), is infinitesimal. The reason I think there's so little risk is because I think this marketing campaign has zero downside. The kids we are attracting with it are kids that likely weren't seriously looking at us before. And, in my opinion, identifying as 404 isn't going to piss anyone off but rather it may just not resonate with some. And for those there are other campaigns. I just don't see it pushing anybody away though I can see it not connecting with some. And again, for those you have different campaigns like family over everything and competition is king, etc... Coca Cola doesn't have just one commercial. They have different ones targeted at different demographics. This is the same thing.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I get the concern, but I think a bit of math might give you a way to think about this differently. When designing products, it is smart to figure out the segment of the population that has a natural reason to select your product over substitutes and then designing the features/benefits of those products to appeal to those most likely to select your product even if it turns off other segments. Of course, you have to do a bit of math with a heck of a lot of assumed factors...but it turns out to work pretty well if you understand your markets and targets.

In this case, I think we can agree that kids in Georgia, North Georgia in particular, are more likely to have GT in their consideration set than kids who are three or four states away. We can also reasonably assume...all factors not at play here being equal...that the willingness to consider coming to GT is inversely proportional to that distance. Let's assume that kids in N.Ga are 15% likely to choose GT. And let's assume that kids in say Kansas are only 2% likely to choose GT based on our fairly weak brand currently. If we can increase the marginal odds of N.Ga kids selecting GT by 25%, even though we decrease the marginal odds in Kansas by 25%, then it is a no-brainer (gain 5% absolute vs lose 0.5% absolute) assuming a sufficient number of qualified targets (since we only need to find 20ish qualified players each year). Given the talent within 300 miles of ATL, I think we can be comfortable that for every person we turn off from Kansas we'll attract several better players from the local area who might come here.

An admittedly complicated explanation using product development/brand management theory. And really just a long-winded way of saying...Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home-Brew(tm).

Deleted member 2897

I just looked at my AT Fund summary. It doesn't show the $404 donation. Shouldn't it show up there?