3TO or just an option play off the DE?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I found the following play interesting. The play starts with a miss direction AB motion. There is a mesh for the BB, but as I look at the play, the only person not blocked is the DE. Can it be a 3TO if there is only one person not blocked.

The DE is clearly looking at the QB, which would indicate a give to the BB. Tim keeps, takes a step, and pitches. The LB is clearly blocked. The real question is this a missed read by Byerly or is the BB not really an Option?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
it's misread on the mesh. Looks like the QB blew the dive read. Normally, you're coached to just follow the b back into the hole, but he pitched instead

Nope, it's a double option.

Dang, you're right, thats confusing. I think part of the confusion is that both the backside LB and the safety blitz themself out of the play, so it's tough to get a read on who the pitch read is really supposed to be

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
It's Midline predetermined pitch. Midline rarely has a pitch as an possibility. The reason it was called, is that SAM LB is sucking in on midline because there usually is not a pitch. When it's predetermined, you can dedicate blockers to the edge that you normally can't due to reading the play.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Midline has a pitch option? Midlines normally have an AB that lead up the hole right? That would be the motioning pitch AB.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It is a midline triple option. He is reading the DT and the DE is the pitch key. They run the midline triple, midline lead, and the midline twirl.

Yep. I agree with this. The counter motion by the PS Aback is also part of the mid-veer as I've seen it diagrammed. Good catch. The quick pull-pitch is typical since you often have 2 unblocked guys at the los playside.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow... Did Tevin run any midline 3TOs? I don't recall many plays like this play.

I think I remember the twirls.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
It's got a "crack" tag on it as well. No doubt it predetermined. Very rarely will a midline have a pitch that is not predetermined. We ran this play vs FSU in '09 when their safeties were chasing a back motion. Dwyer had a long TD run although it may have been veer out of the same motion.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I would much rather see a full arsenal of midlines/midline 3TOs/3TOs/Counter options/BB traps/Rocket Toss/AB counters with perfect timing and good blocking assignment follow through than diamond formations.

Think you're gonna get your wish buddy.
Pretty sure the diamond is scrapped.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
It's got a "crack" tag on it as well. No doubt it predetermined. Very rarely will a midline have a pitch that is not predetermined. We ran this play vs FSU in '09 when their safeties were chasing a back motion. Dwyer had a long TD run although it may have been veer out of the same motion.
I think this is right, actually.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

The midline lead/double responfs to heavy pursuit of the outside. I think that's what you recall. The midline triple/pull-pitch can be predetermined but need not be. If so, it would be used to counter aggressive attacks on the inside,

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep. I agree with this. The counter motion by the PS Aback is also part of the mid-veer as I've seen it diagrammed. Good catch. The quick pull-pitch is typical since you often have 2 unblocked guys at the los playside.

Personally i would have said this was a veer because of the fact he is readin the tackle and the end is his pitch key.....

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
The "crack tag" refers to the WR crack back blocking the olb. The WR and A back are switching blocking assignments.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Personally i would have said this was a veer because of the fact he is readin the tackle and the end is his pitch key.....

I don't understand this post. Are you agreeing with me? At first it sounds like you are disagreeing with me, saying it's an [inside] veer or our standard triple-option. However, your because clause seems to agree with me (DT as HOK and DE as PK) that it's the midline triple-option, sometimes called the mid-veer.

Did you mean to write "wouldn't" instead of "would" because you believed that by "mid-veer" I meant inside veer?