3rd Down Pass to Jeune

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
For fun, let's discuss.

It was 3rd & 4 around mid-field in a situation where we needed to maintain possession badly & keep clock moving. What play to call in that situation? In the moment, my gut is in knots. CPJ dials up the perfect (literally) play & the kids executed it to perfection too.

But what if it had not gone that way? What if KY chose to not call the corner blitz & pass is broken up? Or Jeune drops it. [we had a few bad drops late in game]

I know I'd be second guessing why we didn't try to get the 4 yards on the ground.

Bottom line for me... This play & the 4th & inches call earlier deep in our own territory are the moments I realize I can armchair things all day. But CPJ has some very tough decisions to make & he's right way more than he's wrong.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I was already thinking ahead to the 4th down play and hoping we would only need less than a yard.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he said in the presser he wasn't going to run it on 4th down but their defense didn't set so he ran it. We got a tremendous push because they weren't ready for it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I could not believe my eyes seeing the way UK lined up on that 4th and short snap. What were they thinking? 3 guys up on the line and everybody else at normal depth is not going to stop a dive run right up the backside of a guard. Given our record on 4th and short this year, I did not want to run an offensive play there, but then I saw the way they lined up and I started screaming "snap it now before they shift". Haha. We did and it worked. I loved the short pass to Jeune, but for some reason, I was thinking it was 4th down. I guess not. Gotta watch the game again. They stopped us on 4th down earlier by firing CBs into our AB toss motion. They had done it a couple times. CPJ doesn't miss a thing. Brilliant call for the situation.