3rd Down Conversions

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
allowed on defense. 2017 YTD 9/21 (38%), 2016 for the season (49%)

I know it is still early, but if we are looking for glimmers of hope in regards to our defense, this is an important stat. Last year, we had a terrible time getting teams off the field. 11% improvement is a significant number. Although it is a small sample size, YTD we have played an average to above average SEC team and an apparently championship caliber FCS team. When combined, in my estimation, they most likely represent an average opponent on our schedule. Is this meaningful? or way too early to start talking about? Discuss.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it's meaningful, but with only two games of data I'm relying more on my eyeball. And my eyeball sees a more dynamic DL with what looks to be serviceable depth. If KCH comes back for Pitt I fully expect to see a very good performance by our defense.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Someone check me on this. I thought saw 89 Antwan Owens in the game at DT. I have not checked the stats.
I seem to recall he made a nice play toward the end of the game.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The second unit guys did A-OK. Would like to see us build more of a rotation and figure out which groups complement each other best rather than picking the best individual players.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Would it be cool to go to 3- 4 with
The second unit guys did A-OK. Would like to see us build more of a rotation and figure out which groups complement each other best rather than picking the best individual players.
It looked like they ran a 3 4 w 90 in middle. Sure looked faster than the regular defense but could be bette r formation for blitz. Did see 90 take 2 guys.

This was an fcs team at end of game so I am not getting too excited.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Do we have the personnel for a 3-4 package? I say yes, just not an everydown 4-4 D scheme.

But I think Adams at NT, Cerge and Glanton at DE, Branch and Freeman at OLB with Annre and Simmons rotating. Mitchell and Lewis at ILB.

Sounds great to me on paper but I'm not positive how well Freeman and Branch can flex out to OLB.

Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night....

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think this analysis after a few more P5 schools will be indicative of something, but right now, it is a bit early, but I do appreciate the information, Boomer.

I really think our D will show incremental improvement this year, but not to the level that most think is possible. So many on this board and other places think that a D-coordinator is a wizard.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think this analysis after a few more P5 schools will be indicative of something, but right now, it is a bit early, but I do appreciate the information, Boomer.

I really think our D will show incremental improvement this year, but not to the level that most think is possible. So many on this board and other places think that a D-coordinator is a wizard.
Some also think the D coordinator can't affect the game.....

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Some also think the D coordinator can't affect the game.....

Well, I would not place myself in that camp. There is a theoretical HIGH potential that the D can play based on strategy (coach controls), motivation (coach has much input), teaching of fundamentals (totally up to coach), and actual physical God-given ability (Coach only controls by who he can recruit). Unfortunately, whether some believe it or not, GT is very limited at DT and LB in depth and last category above. So, although the D-coordinator can definitely make a HUGE impact, jimmies and joes are of vital importance.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well, I would not place myself in that camp. There is a theoretical HIGH potential that the D can play based on strategy (coach controls), motivation (coach has much input), teaching of fundamentals (totally up to coach), and actual physical God-given ability (Coach only controls by who he can recruit). Unfortunately, whether some believe it or not, GT is very limited at DT and LB in depth and last category above. So, although the D-coordinator can definitely make a HUGE impact, jimmies and joes are of vital importance.
I agree 100%

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
allowed on defense. 2017 YTD 9/21 (38%), 2016 for the season (49%)

I know it is still early, but if we are looking for glimmers of hope in regards to our defense, this is an important stat. Last year, we had a terrible time getting teams off the field. 11% improvement is a significant number. Although it is a small sample size, YTD we have played an average to above average SEC team and an apparently championship caliber FCS team. When combined, in my estimation, they most likely represent an average opponent on our schedule. Is this meaningful? or way too early to start talking about? Discuss.
I can't get excited based on how few plays UT covered distance for TDs. Way too early, as said, but have seen some bright spots.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Someone check me on this. I thought saw 89 Antwan Owens in the game at DT. I have not checked the stats.
I seem to recall he made a nice play toward the end of the game.

I saw Owens in at RT the last two D series and he got a sack. He was #89. Vernon was in at RDE and Merriweather at LDE. Adams was also in on D late in the game and made a big hit for a loss.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
We couldn't stop Tennessee -- they rarely needed three downs to make a first. That second half was bad football. Our D has looked very good since.

/

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
In the post game today, they referenced another stat related to "3-and-outs". Apparently, so far this season, we have more than half as many as we had all last season....or something close to that. Maybe someone else remembers the actual data.