3pt volume and efficiency over last decade

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Found this graphic interesting (and painful). Shows the last decade of 3pt volume and efficiency for top 6 hoop conferences.

Best GT year was, not surprisingly, Adam Smith's lone season, when the team shot 35.7% on the season. Only one other season in which we finished above 33% - at 33.1%. This year so far hitting 34% - a step in the right direction. And hopefully a trend that continues this year and in the years ahead with Maxwell, Deebo, Miles joining.

3pt shooting.png

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
That pretty much sums up our program in the last decade. I predict we finish in the top right quadrant this year.

I can't tell by the logo, the top right outlier is Creighton?

/

slugboy

Staff member
That pretty much sums up our program in the last decade. I predict we finish in the top right quadrant this year.

I can't tell by the logo, the top right outlier is Creighton?

/
I think we probably end up closer to the middle in both. Devoe might be in the upper right hand corner, and some other players might too, but other players will pull both numbers down, too.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Right now our % of 3PT shots is 39% which is well past the middle line. However, our 3 Pt % made is 34% which is still below the dotted line.

Overall much closer to "modern" basketball but still not a great 3Pt team.

Deleted member 2897

To me it’s more important the percentage, not how many we shoot. If Wright is slamming balls left and right inside, who cares. But make them when you shoot them.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am not sure I buy into these statistics being much more than vanity one. If we can generate offense production with 2 pt plays that is more important to me thank having a top ranked volume stat on attempts. I think we have to look at the style of play that fits us, slashing guards and big athletic 3/4 swing men and really focus on that. Having said it, I agree we have to be more efficient from deep to avoid teams clogging down the lane and styming us on set pieces.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Quick observation that better academic programs skew top and right; less academically focused skew bottom and left. GT a huge exception

alagold

Helluva Engineer
In todays game you HAVE to be able to 1. shoot and/or 2. defend/reb --well. If they don't shoot well in hi school. probably won't in college.(at least til the end with 3-4 yrs exp). btw-- Looking at tapes of guys only basically doing dunks in hi school is not a positive to me.Let's see how many they get in college.
Also-I like to see their hi school FT%. That is an indicator of natural shooting talent that may mean early playing time.The 3 guys Pastner has coming in look like good shooters so they may be quick contributors.He'll sure need them .