3 play microcosm of our season

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Late in the 3rd qtr, marching with relative ease looking to go up 28 - 9 and put the game on ice.

1. 1st and 10 from the VT 23
  • TM rushes wide left for a 10 yard first down
  • We get away with a blatant hold by Benson as the lead blocker. I have no idea how the refs missed this one. They didn't miss the next one.
2. 1st and 10 from the VT 13
  • chop block penalty puts us back to 1st and 24 at the VT 27 instead of 2nd and 1 from the 4, nullifying a 9 yard run by Benson (**would have been 1st and 20 from the VT 33 had the hold on Benson been called on the previous play so it's a relative wash even if this was a bad call, which it wasn't.)
3. 1st and 24 from the VT 27
  • TM throws late to an open Jalen Camp in the endzone, play broken up by VT (could have been flagged as the db didn't turn his head and appeared to make contact a tad early. 50/50 call we didn't get.)
On this drive we are our own worst enemy as we often are. We seem to be ready to put the game out of reach then something happens to let the opposition right back in. Imo, this is the difference between a really good team and pretty good team and not even factoring in putrid ST's. Hot and cold. Luckily we were just barely hot enough to win this one. Thank goodness!!! I can't imagine the gnashing of teeth around here had we blown another one.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just rewatched the incompletion to Camp in the endzone a bunch of times in slow mo. It was definitely pi. The db had a hold of Camp's right hand right before the ball got there. I was trying to figure out why Camp didn't have two hands open to the ball as it arrived, now I know. Missed call by the ref.

And even more frustrating was the very, very questionable PI call on Austin earlier in the game that led to their 1st TD.

Oh well. When I saw this play replayed during the game, I told my wife that if Lance interfered, which I don't believe he did, this was DEFINITELY interference.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I would say the 3 plays that have defined our season were the FG getting blocked at the end of regulation against UT, the tipped pass down in Miami, and the deep ball on 4th and 1 that ended the VT game. We got 1 of 3 to go our way, and won 1 of the 3 games.

This team could easily be 7-2 or 8-1, and are good enough to be there... but lady luck hasn't been on our side. At least we're 5-4 and not 4-5 (if that 3rd play I mentioned goes the other way we are 4-5).

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Holding downfield would have been a spot foul and marked off from where it occurred and not marked off at the line of scrimmage.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just rewatched the incompletion to Camp in the endzone a bunch of times in slow mo. It was definitely pi. The db had a hold of Camp's right hand right before the ball got there. I was trying to figure out why Camp didn't have two hands open to the ball as it arrived, now I know. Missed call by the ref.
Agree, I think refs are greatly influenced by the way the players move at time of the contact . Remember in 2015 when the ND w r gracefully pushed off on the long pass. I was thinking 80 should try to sell the play, but he is such a beast he better just make the play by going higher for the ball.

Was that his second pass?

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
GT fans in my section were telling me I was being a baby and ridiculous for thinking it was PI. I was like what team are you rooting for?