3 keys to beating Pitt

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
1. Pass rush: Pitts pass play percentage is 11th in the nation. Hopefully we’ve been working on our LB blitz, I’d rather have somewhat of a delayed blitz than to telegraph them. Wouldn’t mind seeing some corner or safety blitz as well. If we can get to the QB that should help our secondary majorly and potential help create turnovers.

2. Run/dink&dunk: Pitt is tied for 1st in the nation in sacks. If their DE’s are guys that pin their ears back and go, it could open up some big lanes for QB and RB draws and screens as well. If we can run the ball against them like we did against Miami it could also open up some chances to take shots down field. I’m hoping to see some 50/50 balls to Carter as well, I don’t think we’ve seen that since maybe week 3 or so and it allows the ball to get out of Grahams hand fast.

3. Special teams: field position could turn out to be major in this game, especially with a kicker that’s as good as the guy they have. against Miami we started inside our own 10 three times. It becomes very hard to flip the field and even score in situations like that. 2 of those 3 times we drove the ball 72 and 56 yards; If you do that with better field position those could have turned into points.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Stop the run. They are going to line up in a big set and lean on us.

On offense don’t turn it over and hit 2 or 3 big plays

I will be surprised if they just try to lean on us. They have been having trouble all year and they are passing the ball more than in years past. We ran the ball better against Miami than Pitt did. Never know what team you will get but we should be rested and our OL was effective against Miami.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Adding on:
1. Our crowd has to get into the game early. Be loud, very loud.
2. I don't think Graham can stay in the pocket during this game, their pass rush is too good for us to handle. Lots of roll out stuff.
3. No big penalties.
4. Need big plays from Brown and Sanders. Sanders is starting to emerge as a pretty good receiver. (Malachi Carter??)
5. Going back to passing, stick Jerry Howard in for pass protection. That guy will smack someone.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Run the ball. Stay on schedule and ahead of the sticks.

2. No Turnovers

3. Run the ball even when it’s not yielding yards initially.

4. Move the pocket for Graham. Rollouts & Boot legs.

5. Quick passing game and hit the Flats. Screen game is struggling but see if they can hit some.

6. Take shots downfield. Pitt is slow to me but they get pressure so be careful with taking the shots.

7. Run the ball.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
1. Pass rush: Pitts pass play percentage is 11th in the nation. Hopefully we’ve been working on our LB blitz, I’d rather have somewhat of a delayed blitz than to telegraph them. Wouldn’t mind seeing some corner or safety blitz as well. If we can get to the QB that should help our secondary majorly and potential help create turnovers.

2. Run/dink&dunk: Pitt is tied for 1st in the nation in sacks. If their DE’s are guys that pin their ears back and go, it could open up some big lanes for QB and RB draws and screens as well. If we can run the ball against them like we did against Miami it could also open up some chances to take shots down field. I’m hoping to see some 50/50 balls to Carter as well, I don’t think we’ve seen that since maybe week 3 or so and it allows the ball to get out of Grahams hand fast.

3. Special teams: field position could turn out to be major in this game, especially with a kicker that’s as good as the guy they have. against Miami we started inside our own 10 three times. It becomes very hard to flip the field and even score in situations like that. 2 of those 3 times we drove the ball 72 and 56 yards; If you do that with better field position those could have turned into points.

I watched the Pitt/Miami game. Miami won in spite of being outgained in both rushing and passing. They scored touchdowns while Pitt was kicking field goals. Even so, Pitt had several chances to win that game but to Miami's credit they hung in there with a swarming defense. I don't know if you can take away too much from that game and apply it to ours but Pitt has a good quarterback and a couple of very good receivers. They do not run the ball particularly well and put a lot of responsibility on the quarterback, Pickett, to make plays with either his arm or feet. The biggest challenge for us will be to stay out of 3rd and longs as much as possible because of a ferocious pass rush.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We need to run the ball. That is obvious. The key to winning is to limit their running and win the TO battle. We have to match up with their big boys pre-snap as they are using sometimes multiple TEs and sometimes adding a sixth OL man. We ought to try something like (on run downs) using Carpenter at LB on a TE and Campbell at S. This is not a good matchup for our small LBs and small DEs.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I hate that I will miss this game, but I know our boys are ready to get back out there. I hope with two weeks to prepare and that sweet taste of Victory we had with Miami our boys will want seconds! I know they won't quit. I hope our fans can give half as much energy as our boys will have.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Key is going to be scoring more than 7 points on offense.

Win this game and maybe I can be swayed into believing the coastal thread. At least for a week...

Jmonty71

Banned

I think winning the turnover battle and control the ball are the biggest keys to the next game. If we can slam the ball down their throats, it takes any and all pass rush away.