3-2 or 4-1 Perspective

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
What are your thoughts if we lose to Miami and sit at 3-2?

What are your thoughts if we win against Miami and sit at 4-1?

Perspective?

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
Funny that you mention this, I was thinking earlier how one play can change our entire perspective on the season. For example, let's say we're down 27-28 and are attempting a game winning FG against Miami. There are two scenarios:

1) Butker hits the field goal and we beat Miami. This would arguably be our biggest win since 2009, and likely puts us back in the driver's seat in the Coastal (I just don't think VT wins 7 ACC games). Fans are on a high and confidence is restored in the team and PJ. We head out to BYU the next week confidently looking for revenge. Our spread option offense is clearly effective, as proven by the win.

2) Butker misses the field goal and we lose to Miami. This loss most likely eliminates us from Coastal contention even this early in the season. Fans are pissed, PJ should be fired for being stubborn and refusing to adapt his system to his personnel/pass more. Our team travels to BYU with a demoralized fan base, expecting the worst. Clearly the spread option is not a viable option at the D-1 level, as proven by the missed field goal.

Amazing how something as simple as one ball being kicked a few feet to the right or left instead of straight can cause fans to do a 180 in their opinions. Had Waller caught just one of those long passes at VT, Smelter gotten his feet down on that TD catch, the refs called Facyson out on his questionable INT, OR many other individual plays, we probably win that game. Imagine the difference in fan reaction to a 20-17 win vs. a 10-17 loss. It doesn't even make sense to me...

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
It would show alot about this team to go down to Miami and get a big win on the road. I think this game will show us more about this 2013 team than what we saw Thursday against one of the top defenses in the country. Being 4-1 would also mean we would be in great shape for a Coastal division crown. But if we lose it wouldn't surprise me...this is a huge game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Funny that you mention this, I was thinking earlier how one play can change our entire perspective on the season. For example, let's say we're down 27-28 and are attempting a game winning FG against Miami. There are two scenarios:

1) Butker hits the field goal and we beat Miami. This would arguably be our biggest win since 2009, and likely puts us back in the driver's seat in the Coastal (I just don't think VT wins 7 ACC games). Fans are on a high and confidence is restored in the team and PJ. We head out to BYU the next week confidently looking for revenge. Our spread option offense is clearly effective, as proven by the win.

2) Butker misses the field goal and we lose to Miami. This loss most likely eliminates us from Coastal contention even this early in the season. Fans are pissed, PJ should be fired for being stubborn and refusing to adapt his system to his personnel/pass more. Our team travels to BYU with a demoralized fan base, expecting the worst. Clearly the spread option is not a viable option at the D-1 level, as proven by the missed field goal.

Amazing how something as simple as one ball being kicked a few feet to the right or left instead of straight can cause fans to do a 180 in their opinions. Had Waller caught just one of those long passes at VT, Smelter gotten his feet down on that TD catch, the refs called Facyson out on his questionable INT, OR many other individual plays, we probably win that game. Imagine the difference in fan reaction to a 20-17 win vs. a 10-17 loss. It doesn't even make sense to me...
Excellent post!

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
Johncu said it best. Sometimes the difference between a win and loss is a single play going your way. When I saw the punt for GT's last drive hit the 1 yard line and take a VT bounce, I knew it just wasn't our day.

If GT competes and doesn't self-inflict errors against Miami, I'm satisfied.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree, how we win or loose makes a big difference.

Scoring only 10 points would be tough. That would mean our offense is what it is....

Loosing 35 to 10 would be a heart breaking loss.

I would rejoice at a 13 to 10 win, but we would all be worried about the O.

A hard fought even game with a score of 31 to 35 loss would be the easiest loss, if losing can be easy.

Being ahead by 2 TDs by the end of the 3rd with a resulting 31 to 35 loss would be tough. The opposite being down by 2 TDs and coming back would be a great win!

Lastly, a +28 to -14 win would send me over the edge happy!!! Our D is for real and the O is humming.

ToddM

If you look at the schedule and we get what we could reasonably expect, a loss to Miami kills our ACC chances almost certainly. Miami has one upcoming game which seems to be anywhere near a unknown outcome, Fla State. Realistically the only other team which should give them concern is Virginia Tech, I think we all know how that should turn out for Miami. NC is sitting there but again East Carolina wore them out.

Even If we can pull out a win it looks tough. we would almost have to run the ACC table. We would both have one loss and even then like, I said if Miami survives Fla St. We would have to survive Clemson and playing Virginia in Virginia.

I see Miami finishing 7-1 possibly 8-0 in the ACC. Worse case for them is 6-2 ( losses to us and Fla St ).

I see Tech at 8-4 or 7-5 on the year now ( losses to BYU, UGA, Clempsun, Miami, and Va Tech) If we beat Clempsun that's 6-2 in conference, lose to Clempsun - 5-3 in the conference. Best case for us would be beating Clemson and Miami as well as overcoming the Cavalier Curse while holding up against Cuse and Pitt. 7-1 in conference play, while Miami falls against State and us.

The bottom line is that the Va Tech game killed us as we can all agree we should have won. If and butts I know, but if we had won we would have had a real shot at the conference with a Miami win, since we lost, we are in bad shape, in my view, even with a Miami win.

Party pooper ? I don't know, we could still end up with a better overall record than last year. Would you be happy with 8-4 or 7-5 ? with a bowl win ( 9-4 or 8-5 ) With a new QB ?

It would be hard to take the losses I see coming but it would still be better than last year and a helluva good outlook for the future.

Last edited:

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck

number two might be a bit of an over exaggeration, but I'm sure that if we do lose the game, fans will be calling for CPJ's head.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
number two might be a bit of an over exaggeration, but I'm sure that if we do lose the game, fans will be calling for CPJ's head.

I'm just curious about something. Let's just suppose that GT does go 7-5 as one previous poster opined. Given the past two seasons of ball around or below .500 ball, what are your thoughts on CPJ's foothold as a coach at Tech?

I know he has a big buyout so nothing will happen for a few years. I'm just saying....what would it take for you guys to decide that we need a coaching change?

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
B
I'm just curious about something. Let's just suppose that GT does go 7-5 as one previous poster opined. Given the past two seasons of ball around or below .500 ball, what are your thoughts on CPJ's foothold as a coach at Tech?

I know he has a big buyout so nothing will happen for a few years. I'm just saying....what would it take for you guys to decide that we need a coaching change?

Let me preface this by saying I've always been a huge CPJ supporter and still am because I believe that what we've seen the last few years is not the norm for him. Obviously those results are unacceptable, but he knows that and I have honest faith that it will change. So basically if time goes on and we go 7-5 a couple more times, the excuses are no longer valid, regardless of their validity. This profession is judged purely by results. Win or you're gone, and 7 wins isn't enough at Georgia Tech, as was proven by Chan Gailey.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think johncu is right about the fan reaction, I don't agree that it reflects what's honestly going on.

There are some fans who don't like our offense/PJ. If we make the field goal and win, then they'll just be silent while most fans rejoice in the win. If we miss the field goal, these fans will crow like the loss proves PJ's offense can't work even if we gain 500+ yds and score more than 40 pts.

However, from the discussion on this forum, I don't think most posters here would react like that. It seems to me that most here would react based on the actual performance throughout the game. The last few years, our offense has been fairly productive, but our D lost us some games (2010 being the exception which I chalk up to team-chemistry issues).

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck

Personally, I've always been "on the fence" about CPJ, but have more recently thought that GT would be better off if they moved on. I think that due to the buyout that would be required to fire CPJ, that GT will not fire him. I honestly think that CPJ is at least in the second half of his career at GT, whether that means he is here until the end of the year, or for a few more years.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
He will be here through his contract in 2016. No way we cut him loose before that unless we don't make a bowl game which would be a new low.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
No way we cut him loose before that unless we don't make a bowl game which would be a new low.

This is spot on. A bowl game every year is the absolute minimum expectation at GT, and Clemson's recent upswing isn't making that any easier (along with u[sic]ga always being a tough OOC game).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If we have a normal Gailey year (7-5, 4-4), we won't make a bowl this year. With the talent on this team. CPJ and CTR, I can't see that happening.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I rarely make any predictions, and won't now. But I have to say that our schedule is a pretty darn tough one and I am nervous about results. I mean Miami, BYU and Clemson on the road is brutal. UGA of course. I really do not see many easy games at all regardless of our talent level. The team has to play flawless and out of their minds most games to achieve the potential of their perceived talent given the schedule left. That is one reason VT at home was such a critical game and big opportunity. Winning any of our road games left will take amazing effort and focus (and maybe some luck also).

This is college where team psychology, momentum, and such are just huge. I felt really good that Clemson was all set to get upset a couple years ago here in Atlanta when they were 7-0. Those kind of things so often play a role in outcomes in college (who is off a loss, which team has the inflated ego).

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
He will be here through his contract in 2016. No way we cut him loose before that unless we don't make a bowl game which would be a new low.

I don't know. Bobinski is here and none of us know what his expectations are. Imo I love CPJ and want so badly for him to succeed here. CPJ is going to be successful whether its here or somewhere else. He is a very good coach.

Unbiased perspective attempt here... if we lose to miami and uga and lose a bowl game... then I think he gets the boot. I know I know... Contract. Money. Etc..

Its not so much the record (ie 7-5) as it is who he loses to. The record would be secondary thought.

If we lose to Miami, ugag, and bowl game but win the majority of the rest then yes he stays.

1-4 vs miami
1-4 vs uga
1-4 bowl games

these will factor in with the record.

personally I hope we are all blowing smoke here and cpj retires successfully here with a respect like dodd

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
Unbiased perspective attempt here... if we lose to miami and uga and lose a bowl game... then I think he gets the boot. I know I know... Contract. Money. Etc..

Its not so much the record (ie 7-5) as it is who he loses to. The record would be secondary thought.

So basically, if we lose to two top 10 teams this year, PJ should be fired, despite the fact that he has played in the ACC championship 40% of the time he's been at GT, winning it 20% of the time? I don't get the obsession with UGA results either... The fact is that UGA has been pretty damn good the last couple years, and probably will be for the forseeable future. 1-4 against them isn't good, but couldn't we counter that with PJ's ownage of Clemson? I know the UGA game is more important to us, but it should not be considered any more important when judging a coach's results. The same goes for Gailey - I was okay with letting him go, but it had absolutely nothing to do with our failure to beat UGA under him. Gailey needed to go because we were very consistently mediocre under him and there was no reason to believe that we could ever rise above that.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I don't know. Bobinski is here and none of us know what his expectations are.

I know I know... Contract. Money. Etc..
Those are pretty big "I know I know's". Really doubt Bobinski will throw money away like that but you are right, no idea what his expectations are for football. This ain't Xavier; I think he's learning the ropes still with the AD position.