2nd time around...

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
watching the replay this morning and was impressed with the way GT remained composed under the conditions at hand. Says quite a bit about the character of this entire team. Maybe PJ was correct when he spoke about this team putting in the extra work during the off season and we are now seeing the results. One thing during I want to point out is the 4th and 15 and the Smelter game tying TD was Laskey picking up the blitzes to give Thomas time to throw. It was a thing of beauty. For a guy who gets criticized for every block that he misses he should get some credit for the ones he makes, especially when the game is on the line. Thomas and Laskey play quite a bit of snaps in a ball game and I like that this team can 'dig a little deeper" when they need too and are learning how to win the close games. Somethng GT hasn't done in the past 5 years.

watching the replay this morning and was impressed with the way GT remained composed under the conditions at hand. Says quite a bit about the character of this entire team. Maybe PJ was correct when he spoke about this team putting in the extra work during the off season and we are now seeing the results. One thing during I want to point out is the 4th and 15 and the Smelter game tying TD was Laskey picking up the blitzes to give Thomas time to throw. It was a thing of beauty. For a guy who gets criticized for every block that he misses he should get some credit for the ones he makes, especially when the game is on the line. Thomas and Laskey play quite a bit of snaps in a ball game and I like that this team can 'dig a little deeper" when they need too and are learning how to win the close games. Somethng GT hasn't done in the past 5 years.

In all four games, we looked physically strong even at the end--although Justin Thomas looked a bit worn out .

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
In all four games, we looked physically strong even at the end--although Justin Thomas looked a bit worn out .

He did take somewhat of a beating. I remember a couple of times that the tackler would make sure to put all of his weight onto JT when taking him down. I still wonder if he makes it through the season without any game-missing injuries, but he is a tough kid.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Also, this is one of those instances where height is deceiving, imho. 5'11" 185 (more likely = 190) is not small. He only looks that way because he's more RB height. There are plenty of RBs in FBS schools that run 20+ times a game at that size. Shoot, he's 10 pounds heavier then Tony Dorsett was in college and they ran him to death.

It is true, however, that, if you run as much as JT did Saturday, you will get a bit tuckered out. Winning makes that a lot easier to bear, of course.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
He did take somewhat of a beating. I remember a couple of times that the tackler would make sure to put all of his weight onto JT when taking him down. I still wonder if he makes it through the season without any game-missing injuries, but he is a tough kid.

Its a long season with a lot of hits to go. I don't see many blowouts and therefore we will likely need a full speed Justin in the late 4th Q. Therefore I would like to see Byerly take a series in each half to spread the licks, wear down the opposition's D, and have JT full speed late. Roof gave Gotsis and Green a few short breaks against VT and he has been routinely giving rotation to DBs and LBs. ABs and WRs on O get rotation but I would like to see more OL and BB rotation as well.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
No way. I do not want JT off the field as long as he wants to be on it. That guy, late in the 4th after 20 carries or so, blows by the entire opposing defense. He's got "it." Nothing against Byerly, but unless we are up 3 scores (and after GA Southern, I am not sure about that) I want JT's boot on the opposing team's jugular.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If you think about our offense you have to pick your poison. VT protected the edge and made JT beat them. That is a lot to ask of a QB, and he did it. If I were a DC after watching the VT game, I think I would try to make the BB beat me. Make the O grind it out and play mistake free. JT showed he can beat you, and we have a lot of speed on the edge, so I don't think I would want those guys carrying the ball. That is the opposite of how most defenses play the option. In high school we tried to make the QB keep it and hit him on every play. Most of the time he would get tired of getting hit and start pitching or giving early to avoid getting hit. We never played a QB like JT though.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Also, this is one of those instances where height is deceiving, imho. 5'11" 185 (more likely = 190) is not small. He only looks that way because he's more RB height. There are plenty of RBs in FBS schools that run 20+ times a game at that size. Shoot, he's 10 pounds heavier then Tony Dorsett was in college and they ran him to death.

It is true, however, that, if you run as much as JT did Saturday, you will get a bit tuckered out. Winning makes that a lot easier to bear, of course.
But RB doesn't have the mental load and comes out on many plays and doesn't carry the ball every play when they are in. The QB in our offense handles the ball and is having to truck every play and make snap mental decisions. I really think it would help to give some relief with Byerly. It is a long season. Also have him ready in case JT does go down. This is a good timely break to recharge for a tough run.

Declinometer

Banned
But RB doesn't have the mental load and comes out on many plays and doesn't carry the ball every play when they are in. The QB in our offense handles the ball and is having to truck every play and make snap mental decisions. I really think it would help to give some relief with Byerly. It is a long season. Also have him ready in case JT does go down. This is a good timely break to recharge for a tough run.
A no brainer

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I strongly agree (and I know we are in the minority) but I look at the long range big picture. I want JT in and healthy for every game and strong in the 4th Q because the games this team wins will likely be determined late in the game. Rhythm is what you get used to doing. We need to get in rhythm for spreading some licks at QB and BB for the long haul.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Justin got a little gimpy near the end. I was worried he hurt his leg or ankle.
That's not a gimp. It's his swagger. :D

Seriously though, he does like to drag his toes that sort of makes it look like he pulled something especially when he's cruising into the end zone.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you think about our offense you have to pick your poison. VT protected the edge and made JT beat them. That is a lot to ask of a QB, and he did it. If I were a DC after watching the VT game, I think I would try to make the BB beat me. Make the O grind it out and play mistake free.

Man, I would LOVE to see a defense come out with this strategy (and so would CPJ). The dive or give on the 3O has been pretty effective anyway this year, and if defenses start slacking on taking it out first, we will run it right down their throats from start to finish. I love the outside big plays as much as everyone else, but when we are getting 5-7 yards on the dive every time... that is a thing of beauty to me and an absolute demoralizer to the D.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
If you think about our offense you have to pick your poison. VT protected the edge and made JT beat them. That is a lot to ask of a QB, and he did it. If I were a DC after watching the VT game, I think I would try to make the BB beat me. Make the O grind it out and play mistake free.
Option Defense Rule #1 - Take away the dive. The dive is the fastest hitting play with the least risk for the O.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Good points in this thread. Didn't even think about the headache the next few DCs are gonna get after watching film. I can imagine it going something like this: "Well, if VT couldn't stop them in Lane Stadium with the game on the line and all the doofus VT fans wagging their freakin car keys then we are screwed."