2nd Team Props

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the great things about Saturday's game against NCSU was a chance to see the entire 2nd (and some 3rd) string offense and defense for part of the 3rd Q and ALL of the 4th Q. Also, it looked like they were matched up against NCSU's 1st team, so it was no cakewalk.

I thought we should have a thread giving props to the guys who stepped up and played well when given the chance. Here are mine:

1) Tim Byerly and Matt Conners. We know what we have here--these guys are quality depth, and as some others have mentioned, Byerly is such a weapon to have as our 2nd string QB. I have good confidence in both these guys.
2) Isiah Willis- Looked good with the ball in his hands and made some good blocks, too. We'll need him next year to help provide depth with all the SR A-Backs we are losing.
3) Antonio Messick- Nice catch, kid. Big-time play.
4) Antonio Simmons- Great speed for a DE and a HUGE hit on one play--hit the guy so hard the ball came out!
5) Tremayne McNair- Also had some good hits on special teams and defense.

Animal02

Banned
One of the great things about Saturday's game against NCSU was a chance to see the entire 2nd (and some 3rd) string offense and defense for part of the 3rd Q and ALL of the 4th Q. Also, it looked like they were matched up against NCSU's 1st team, so it was no cakewalk.

I thought we should have a thread giving props to the guys who stepped up and played well when given the chance. Here are mine:

1) Tim Byerly and Matt Conners. We know what we have here--these guys are quality depth, and as some others have mentioned, Byerly is such a weapon to have as our 2nd string QB. I have good confidence in both these guys.
2) Isiah Willis- Looked good with the ball in his hands and made some good blocks, too. We'll need him next year to help provide depth with all the SR A-Backs we are losing.
3) Antonio Messick- Nice catch, kid. Big-time play.
4) Antonio Simmons- Great speed for a DE and a HUGE hit on one play--hit the guy so hard the ball came out!
5) Tremayne McNair- Also had some good hits on special teams and defense.

I do believe that NCST kept their !st string in the entire game. So the last couple of drives were even more impressive.......and we had the ball at the 3 yard line at the end of the game. Saw some comments on NCst forums about CPJ being a nice guy and not jambing it into the endzone at the end of the game and running up the score more.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Saw some comments on NCst forums about CPJ being a nice guy and not jambing it into the endzone at the end of the game and running up the score more.

I want to give props to NCS for not calling stupid timeouts at the end of a hopeless game - like UVa did keeping us in the cold longer!

After that stunt, I wanted us to score again at the end of that one.

Heck, I wanted to just give the ball back after the last interception (as called on the field) rather than wait for the both to overturn the call. It worked out anyway as they turned it over on downs closer to midfield than the interception was.

Cold as it was, I did stay to hear The Horse though.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I didn't see Ricky Jeune in at WR, does anyone know why. I have seen him on some special teams earlier in the year.
My guess is Jeune isn’t as good a blocker and since we were primarily trying to run the ball to eat clock it was better to have Messick and Dennis in.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing Willis starts next year. The frosh ABs will have something to say about that, but he's got experience, he runs hard, and he can block.

I think Simmons is potentially another Marco Coleman. Like Coleman, it is obvious that no other program bit on him because he's a tween. I mean the guy had 29 sacks in his senior year. I haven't seen anything like that since Coleman and, I might add, I knew we had something special as soon as I saw it. It'll be interesting to see what happens at DE next year when both he and Freeman are 25 - 30 lbs heavier and Whitehead joins the mix.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm guessing Willis starts next year. The frosh ABs will have something to say about that, but he's got experience, he runs hard, and he can block.
Broderick Snoddy and Dennis Andrews will have a lot more to say about that. But, it does look like Willis has a great chance to at least be in the primary rotation.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Given a chance, I think Snoddy is a 1000 yard rusher, and Andrews played his best game as a Jacket. His blocking reminded me of Roddy. That said, Willis looked great during his time also. I know we will have a couple of the freshmen poke their heads into the A-back picture next year, but we have a good nucleus coming back for the Spring. And we should be solid at B-back.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Broderick Snoddy and Dennis Andrews will have a lot more to say about that. But, it does look like Willis has a great chance to at least be in the primary rotation.
Snoddy, yes. I'm less certain about Andrews. He's got everything; shoot, he's our most talented AB overall right now: fast, can block, can catch, good juke. So why do I say Willis? It's a close call. I think Willis may want it more and the talent difference is not that great (a surprise).

But it's early days for such speculation. The main thing coming up is getting Perkins and Laskey back.

Given a chance, I think Snoddy is a 1000 yard rusher, and Andrews played his best game as a Jacket. His blocking reminded me of Roddy. That said, Willis looked great during his time also. I know we will have a couple of the freshmen poke their heads into the A-back picture next year, but we have a good nucleus coming back for the Spring. And we should be solid at B-back.

A lot has been said about player development or the lack thereof---some of it by my very own self. Broderick Snoddy had got to be a good example of one player that the staff had molded from very raw talent into a pretty damn good football player.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer

I think Simmons is potentially another Marco Coleman. Like Coleman, it is obvious that no other program bit on him because he's a tween. I mean the guy had 29 sacks in his senior year. I haven't seen anything like that since Coleman and, I might add, I knew we had something special as soon as I saw it. It'll be interesting to see what happens at DE next year when both he and Freeman are 25 - 30 lbs heavier and Whitehead joins the mix.

I agree on Willis.I think he blocks as well as Snoddy now.No matter,he will get a LOT of reps.
I would like to see Merriweather at LB.Big and fast.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I agree on Willis.I think he blocks as well as Snoddy now.No matter,he will get a LOT of reps.
I would like to see Merriweather at LB.Big and fast.

Merriweather is someone who is really going to grow in the next couple of years IMO...could see him RS next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

That's the thing about CPJ, he doesn't care where you come from. If you're a walk-on, a full scholarship player, or some dude who hasn't played football in 3 years and just walked off the baseball field...if you can play and help the team, he'll put you on the field.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
the one thing that jumps out at me when watching this team play is the ability of several of our backups. Days and Laskey...either one works. Byerly in for JT...you have a more than serviceable option here. Our Oline seems to rotate guys without skipping a beat (i.e. Devine at OG). We have 4-6 A backs who are productive and a bit interchangeable. When (if?) we can achieve this kind of depth across the board we can/will make the leap to the proverbial "next level".

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The thing we're forgetting is, a lot of our 1st team guys are actually 2nd and 3rd team guys if not for attrition.

Crazy to think that we're 8-2 and knocking on the door of a 10 win season and a good portion of our team should really be redshirting or backups.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I do believe that NCST kept their !st string in the entire game. So the last couple of drives were even more impressive.......and we had the ball at the 3 yard line at the end of the game. Saw some comments on NCst forums about CPJ being a nice guy and not jambing it into the endzone at the end of the game and running up the score more.

Definitely the right thing to do.