278 days until kick off

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I can not remember a season that went by as fast as this one or go as bad as this one has. What's everyone's opinion on 2016? At this point I have no clue what to expect. I like what I saw from all the freshmen that were forced into action on offense and think it bodes well for the upcoming season. On the defensive side we lose Gotsis and our secondary but there's a lot of talent in the back four that gives me some hope. We just need to get some kind of pass rush or it's pretty much the same D as every other year. With a some what easier schedule and teams going through coaching changes and others losing key players to graduation I think we bounce back and win already 8 games. Where is everyone else at with regards to next season?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We could have another 180 degree turnaround on O. On D....more uncertain. Lots of good looking young players waiting in the wings but we lose 5 starters on this side.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I hear ya. Unfortunately that's been the norm on D. We can never seem to be consistent on that side of the ball. Probably going to be in some high scoring games next year until the newbies on D figure it out. Luckily Uncheat loses a lot on O. Pitt will likely lose Boyd and Connor to the NFL, Unless Fuente has a 1st rd QB waiting for him I think VT will be a 6 win team. Miami has talent and beat us with pretty much a fan coaching. It'll be interesting to see which direction they go. Duke loses key players and should take a step back. UVA is UVA. Basically the Coastal will be the same as every other year. Who the hell knows! At least our crossover games we know Clemson should be loaded and BC couldn't score with a whore. So we should be 1-1 there. At this point I'm just guessing out loud and trying to come to grips that this year is over....

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
The frustrations of this season were exasperating...the perspective of time which the demands of the season do not allow should enable CPJ to reboot and make adjustments for next year's campaign. Starting in Ireland should be a great thing for the team to look forward to!

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I am relieved that this nightmare is over. I am very much looking forward to next season. I firmly believe that we will take up where we left off last year. CPJ will get the offense back in gear with a huge number of running back competing for playing time. I hope CPJ will take a long look at what we are trying to do on defense and special teams. I think the injuries had an effect on KO returns due to forcing us to go with really lightweght and /or inexperienced players. On defense, we need to come up with something to compensate for an inability to get DTs into the program.
And by the way, I got to ride in the Rambling Wreck yesterday, something I will never forget.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the lesson I learned from this year is never try to predict the next year. I think returning to our norm of 7-8 wins would show that both this season and last were aberrations and that our program has an extremely high standard deviation relative to most.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Normally I would be excited about next year, however I am concerned that during the season our O-line never improved during the season... That has me worried about next season! Not sure what the problem is...

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we will have a shot at being much better. Schedule should be easier. I think a lot will come down to the QB position as it always does. Can Justin Thomas rebound to his old form from 2014? Can we develop a serviceable backup QB to compete for the position and or fill in to take some pressure off the starter? I think that is the central issue for 2016. It's always interesting to see how a team develops over the off season, spring practice , fall camp and then game by game. I look at each season as a novel with each of these aspects being a chapter within that novel. The 2015 GT novel can now be put on the shelf. Obviously, that one will not be a best seller. We can begin to write the 2016 novel soon.

Go Jackets!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
He's graduating, but is eligible to apply for a medical red shirt year, IIRC.
Will miss him, but don't think less of him for moving on with life if that is his decision.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the lesson I learned from this year is never try to predict the next year.

I will never again get sucked into the preseason jack-assery of stating how good a team will be unless the whole damn team is returning. No one predicted GT would lose 9 games and that Iowa would lose 0. I'm back to stating, "pass the popcorn" and watching for fun and enjoying the unpredictability that is college ball.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think kickoff in Ireland will suffer from fewer GT fans. Too bad for the organizers that we don't have last year's enthusiasm to ride.

82 days till first pitch. And our pitching WILL be better this year (on paper this is a fact, but injuries happen).
Early in the season, I was seriously considering making the trip my wife's and my first trip to Europe. I'm seriously reconsidering.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
The entire season was like waiting for Godot. Kept thinking some spark was going to ignite, and then boom. Somebody would break out like Snoddy or Days or White last year and everything would begin to fall into place. It was like riding in a car stuck in 2nd gear. Instead, the hits just kept on coming: Byerly, Searcy, Marshall, Gray, Gotsis, fumbles, wet fields, late losses. Until spring practice starts, I will continue to see ND completing the long TD on 3rd and 25 and JT's TD called back, White dropping the Pick 6 that would have put us up by 17 against UNC late in the 3rd, Duke's KO and punt return, Blewitt's 56 yarder, the late personal foul in the VT game, uga's lone TD on 4th down. The two and three win seasons in the 80's and 90's weren't as bad because we were never in most games. We were almost never out of a game this year and still lost 9 times.

I disagree on the predictions of mediocrity next year. I suspect it's either Coastal Champions or Dumpster Fire.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The entire season was like waiting for Godot. Kept thinking some spark was going to ignite, and then boom. Somebody would break out like Snoddy or Days or White last year and everything would begin to fall into place. It was like riding in a car stuck in 2nd gear. Instead, the hits just kept on coming: Byerly, Searcy, Marshall, Gray, Gotsis, fumbles, wet fields, late losses. Until spring practice starts, I will continue to see ND completing the long TD on 3rd and 25 and JT's TD called back, White dropping the Pick 6 that would have put us up by 17 against UNC late in the 3rd, Duke's KO and punt return, Blewitt's 56 yarder, the late personal foul in the VT game, uga's lone TD on 4th down. The two and three win seasons in the 80's and 90's weren't as bad because we were never in most games. We were almost never out of a game this year and still lost 9 times.

I disagree on the predictions of mediocrity next year. I suspect it's either Coastal Champions or Dumpster Fire.

unless we get a ready-made hoss DT and a pro possible WR, this team will struggle --2 of the most obvious weaknesses at THIS point