247 Sports Team Talent Composite

Cam

Helluva Engineer
247 maintains a total team talent ranking based on their composite ratings each year. I saw that with the start of the 2019 season, they updated their rankings a couple days ago. While ratings aren't perfect, I think when you start aggregating entire rosters you get a clearer picture of the team talent. We're up five spots from last year from #50 to #45, and also we're #10 in the ACC. Of the 8 four star players on the roster, five of them are CGC guys: Clayton, Allen, Sims, Ezzard, and Jamious Griffin. The other 3 four stars are BJS, Jaylon King, and James Graham.

Also, all of our top 20 rated players will be returning next season and 17/20 are freshman or sophomores. Same trend for the top 40 with 32/40 being freshman or sophomores. It's worth noting that Brad Morgan, Tijai Whatley, and Brandon Adams are still listed though, so it's not a perfect roster.

And if I can go ahead and jump the gun a bit and say we get a commitment from Javier Morton one of these days, then at least 10 of our 2020 commits would make up the top 20 on our current roster. Again, individual ratings are not perfect, but here's to hoping we can continue raising our collective team talent.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Basically this is the talent trend we need. Some will pan out some wont. But you need more high talent numbers
Cam Newton’s auburn proved to me that elite talent and bad coaching can take you farther than elite coaching and bad talent. Obviously having both is the real ticket but that’s what makes you Clemson and bama

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Cam Newton’s auburn proved to me that elite talent and bad coaching can take you farther than elite coaching and bad talent. Obviously having both is the real ticket but that’s what makes you Clemson and bama
Elite coaching and scheme with the right mix of a handful of key elite players mixed with mostly average talent can work wonders too. (‘09, ‘14)

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Elite coaching and scheme with the right mix of a handful of key elite players mixed with mostly average talent can work wonders too. (‘09, ‘14)
I agree with this. I’d just add that you also need the “average talent” players to buy in and be key contributors as well. That is what I believe is the root of our 2014 team’s success.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. I’d just add that you also need the “average talent” players to buy in and be key contributors as well. That is what I believe is the root of our 2014 team’s success.

GT will always be a place where we need elite coaching (Ross, O'Leary/Friedgen, CPJ), mixed with player development of foundational type talent (think of underrated recruits that turn into 3/4 year starters like Andrew Gardner, Shaq Mason, Vance Walker, etc.) and elite talent. That formula has been and always will be the key to our success.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
GT will always be a place where we need elite coaching (Ross, O'Leary/Friedgen, CPJ), mixed with player development of foundational type talent (think of underrated recruits that turn into 3/4 year starters like Andrew Gardner, Shaq Mason, Vance Walker, etc.) and elite talent. That formula has been and always will be the key to our success.
But why? Without going too far down that rabbit hole, we don’t have to accept the past as our future.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have a top in the country dc. As he gets talent that side of ball will be fine and he will get talent (collins not thacker, but thacker may be great too in the making under collins)

Oc from day 1 i had my concerns. But for the sake of fairness will give him some time. The gameplan vs clemson to me seemed weak. With that said it appears we are getting talent there too. Wr, rb for sure. Would like to land one more ol maybe 2. The linchpin will be qb. Between graham yates and gleason one needs to ball out. All 4 talented on paper.

Graham looks the part now. I hope he continues to prepare and plays well on sat. He just seems like he has an overall skillset to build on. The mystery of LJ continues and its one i cant figure out

Just keep trending up and continue to rep. We have a SUPER young team with almost zero seniors we are relying on. Could be a tough group next year folks. And by end of this year too

Deleted member 2897

We have 18 guys on our current roster who are 4-stars or higher by at least 1 agency.

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan
Attitude and commitment are every bit as important as raw talent - combine those with good coaching and you have a winner

Deleted member 2897

Attitude and commitment are every bit as important as raw talent - combine those with good coaching and you have a winner

That describes most of the SEC - elite talent and poor discipline/coaching. Year after year, 10 of the top 25 recruiting classes are in the SEC, but most of the teams wet the bed.

Remember that trick gadget play we had at the goal line last weekend where TO and the guys looked to the sideline to get the audible play? And then we direct snapped it to Mason? The stupid idiots at Georgia would have fallen for that. Not Clemson.