24/7 Rating at Correlation to Making It to the NFL

Deleted member 2897

Side note. What the heck is Purdue doing in the top 25 of recruiting rankings?
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Well they do have an SEC-like, roster-cutting 25 commits already by the first signing period. They're in last place in P5 for any team with 25 commits. In the entire country, I only found a couple teams with 25 commits that rank lower (Southern Miss, Miami OH, Old Dominion) - because those schools have like 10+ 2-star guys in their class.

Deleted member 2897

Only 1 out of every 5 players rated 4-stars or higher makes it to the NFL. Interesting.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
I posted this on a previous thread,,,,
I understand the obsession with getting 4 & 5 stars, but here's a small list of NFL
3 stars coming out of high school...
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Ryan
Le Veon Bell
Travis Kelce
Luke Kuechly
& 2 star J.J. Watts
And of course, an unrated Tom Brady! There are good athletes that develop!!

With that being said, obviously the higher the rating, the better!!
I'm not too worried about the future, good coaching can overcome some deficits..

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think "making an NFL roster" is a misleading outcome. Doesn't mean you get drafted at all much less early enough to guarantee a signing bonus and meaningful contract even if you don't pan out. Lots make a roster but don't get a career out of football or make enough to retire even assuming good financial decisions which athletes aren't exactly known for overall.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Several posts above are flirting with the main question: what proportion of NFL rosters are made up of 4 and 5 * players? Given the total number of players at different decimal categories, I'm guessing that the NFL has mostly 4 star and below players with 3 * or less players a slight majority. This may be at the website sourced, but I don't have the inclination to find out. I do know, however, that a whole lot of NFL players are from non-P5 programs.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see data for 3rd or 4th year.

NFL GMs and scouts also see recruiting rankings. I'm not making a claim one way or the other, just noting that the stats aren't isolated.

I do think that % is the way to measure because obviously when ratio of below 4* to 4*+ is greater than 10 to 1, we should expect greater numbers from below 4*

Side note. What the heck is Purdue doing in the top 25 of recruiting rankings?
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Brohm is attractive as a HC if you're a good player with academics, after he pulled the upset of tOSU, he's been able to springboard that into recruiting success, good for Purdue

From that list I noticed Stanford was in the teens with eight 4* and fourteen 3*, ND is there as always with sixteen 4*

I posted this on a previous thread,,,,
I understand the obsession with getting 4 & 5 stars, but here's a small list of NFL
3 stars coming out of high school...
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Ryan
Le Veon Bell
Travis Kelce
Luke Kuechly
& 2 star J.J. Watts
And of course, an unrated Tom Brady! There are good athletes that develop!!

With that being said, obviously the higher the rating, the better!!
I'm not too worried about the future, good coaching can overcome some deficits..

I'm not sure Tom Brady was unrated

He got the last scholly at Michigan, but it's still Michigan

It's rare for an unrated guy to get the last scholly at a place like Michigan

Good coaching doesn't overcome anything, the 4 teams playing in the CFP all have elite talent to varying degrees, but it is still elite

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m biting. I don’t know why, but I am taking the bait.

In the first place, you have to consider how star rankings are generated. Most likely they are a product of nerds compiling data over who is offering who and how many are chasing certain kids.

When you think about how few 5 stars there are, where anybody with a pulse as a talent scout could identify them as being ahead of the rest of the field at that point in their lives, the track record is poor. 50 percent success rate when having the pick of the litter is not that great. All the big programs are chasing the same guys. The star rating is a product of recruiting staffs and actions, not some wizard talent scout at a publication.

My advice to any recruiter would be the same. Ignore the star rating. Make sure the player in question has legit speed and length for the position. Go with your gut and what you see on tape, what you see in person, and what opposing HS coaches tell you. Then make sure character is there. If a kid you like is 5 star, fine, if he is a 2 star, fine.

Chasing the same kids everyone else is will never separate you from the pack unless you are bammer, simply because of numbers. You need 20 in your class, there are a total of 50 5 star players out there. Finding the kids that have equal potential without being chased by the masses necessarily, will work for everybody. The players are out there.

I always go back to Calvin Johnson as an example. Not 5 stars. How? Simply because of who was chasing him. How could any player have been better suited physically for his position at the time? He was the most physically ideal player for WR in the entire history of the game for crying out loud.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I’m biting. I don’t know why, but I am taking the bait.

In the first place, you have to consider how star rankings are generated. Most likely they are a product of nerds compiling data over who is offering who and how many are chasing certain kids.

When you think about how few 5 stars there are, where anybody with a pulse as a talent scout could identify them as being ahead of the rest of the field at that point in their lives, the track record is poor. 50 percent success rate when having the pick of the litter is not that great. All the big programs are chasing the same guys. The star rating is a product of recruiting staffs and actions, not some wizard talent scout at a publication.

My advice to any recruiter would be the same. Ignore the star rating. Make sure the player in question has legit speed and length for the position. Go with your gut and what you see on tape, what you see in person, and what opposing HS coaches tell you. Then make sure character is there. If a kid you like is 5 star, fine, if he is a 2 star, fine.

Chasing the same kids everyone else is will never separate you from the pack unless you are bammer, simply because of numbers. You need 20 in your class, there are a total of 50 5 star players out there. Finding the kids that have equal potential without being chased by the masses necessarily, will work for everybody. The players are out there.

I always go back to Calvin Johnson as an example. Not 5 stars. How? Simply because of who was chasing him. How could any player have been better suited physically for his position at the time? He was the most physically ideal player for WR in the entire history of the game for crying out loud.
I agree with you mainly. My biggest thing is, if a kid gets hurt during his tenure or develops a health condition (AJ Gray) is it the recruiting fault for missing that? If a kid just doesn’t have the absolute desire to be an nfl player (Shamire Devine) is that the recruiters fault? I don’t think there will ever be a ranking that will be completely accurate because it’s dealing with humans. The fact that the rankings and the ratings seems to move down in % on a roster implies it’s doing a somewhat decent job.

I still don’t think it’s the best barometer for how good a football team is. Our offense was top 20 this year and our recruits certainly were not top 20 nfl caliber recruits.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

Actually, didn’t both UGA and Notre Dame recruit him, too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk