'23 12th game

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Yup, our non conf schedule should be Sav St, Mercer, and KSU until we get it figured. I know that ain’t how it works because these things get scheduled way in advance usually. How many FCS games are allowed to count toward bowl eligibility? Just one I believe. I feel like Bama, Clem, and uga’s non conf schedule is usually entirely made up of FCS and middling MAC teams.

I think the psyche of this team would be completely different if we had just beaten Sav St 35-7 as opposed to getting shelled by OM.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yup, our non conf schedule should be Sav St, Mercer, and KSU until we get it figured. I know that ain’t how it works because these things get scheduled way in advance usually. How many FCS games are allowed to count toward bowl eligibility? Just one I believe. I feel like Bama, Clem, and uga’s non conf schedule is usually entirely made up of FCS and middling MAC teams.

I think the psyche of this team would be completely different if we had just beaten Sav St 35-7 as opposed to getting shelled by OM.

+1

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Dont forget we do have a Home and Home with Ga State coming up. Why a home and home I have no idea. Sunbelt stadiums are where the ACC goes to die. At least the $ec makes them come to their stadiums.
Vanderbilt has played at Hawaii and Northern Illinois this year, they also go to Georgia State in 2024.
UNC played at Georgia State 2 weeks ago.
South Carolina played at ECU last year.

After we’ve seen multiple SunBelt teams win buy games at P5 stadiums, I’m not sure why we would want to pay the team from across the street to come play when we can just return the favor and play them at their place. Think of it like this, UGA fans take great pride in taking over BDS every other year. We can go take over Center Parc Quest Truist Turner Field Georgia State Stadium and brag about it to our own “little brother.”

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not as in-tune with GT athletics, but just being on here the past couple of days, I've gathered that the AA is cash strapped. With that in mind and observing Tech's OOC schedule being as tough as it is, is that bc they aren't able/won't pay for a "buy a W" game? Hence the home and home games with tougher opponents?
Make someone like alabama pay Tech for a win. Gets some money into the AA :ROFLMAO:

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Vanderbilt has played at Hawaii and Northern Illinois this year, they also go to Georgia State in 2024.
UNC played at Georgia State 2 weeks ago.
South Carolina played at ECU last year.

After we’ve seen multiple SunBelt teams win buy games at P5 stadiums, I’m not sure why we would want to pay the team from across the street to come play when we can just return the favor and play them at their place. Think of it like this, UGA fans take great pride in taking over BDS every other year. We can go take over Center Parc Quest Truist Turner Field Georgia State Stadium and brag about it to our own “little brother.”
Tech fans should try to have a good showing in basketball this year when we play at state. No better way for them to open their arena than to have a bunch of Tech fans doing the yellow jacket cheer

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans should try to have a good showing in basketball this year when we play at state. No better way for them to open their arena than to have a bunch of Tech fans doing the yellow jacket cheer
Totally agree. But given our pathetic attendance at our own home games last year, not sure that will be in the works….

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The idea behind buy games isn't just to pay for an easy win but to also get a 7th home game every season and get all that gate revenue.

It should be easy to sell large programs on home and home's with Georgia Tech because they can invite their Atlanta-area recruits to the game. They generate revenue for us by bringing 30,000 away fans to pack out Bobby Dodd - needed because our own fans don't buy tickets anymore.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The idea behind buy games isn't just to pay for an easy win but to also get a 7th home game every season and get all that gate revenue.

It should be easy to sell large programs on home and home's with Georgia Tech because they can invite their Atlanta-area recruits to the game. They generate revenue for us by bringing 30,000 away fans to pack out Bobby Dodd - needed because our own fans don't buy tickets anymore.
The thing is, we don’t need anymore large programs to play against. We’re playing 10 Power 5 games every year from now through 2027, and we have 7 home games through then as well. The only reason we don’t have 7 this year is because of our makeup trip to UCF. And since UCF is joining the Big 12 next year, we basically are playing 11 Power 5 games this year.

I personally wish we would schedule more OOC games against the “smart” schools. I think Vandy does a really good job of that. I would like to play them on a semi-regular basis, but also think it would be fun to play teams like Northwestern, Purdue, Stanford, UCLA, Cal, etc. I feel like we’re the only Power 5 that has a “nerdy” perception that doesn’t really play any of the other “nerdy” schools. If you don’t count Notre Dame, the last time we played a school like that OOC was Vandy in 2016. We don’t have any of them scheduled for the next 10 years.

Since that 2016 game against us, Vandy has played Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Purdue, and Stanford.

I’d be okay scheduling 10 or 11 Power 5 games every year if 1 of them was against somebody in our own weight class.

Last edited:

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we'll have Collins longer than they will have Satterfield.

BTW, remember when we were clamoring to hire Satterfield

Depends on if Satterfield holds this class together. It might end up a top 15 class and the best class they have had by a massive margin. That 5 star RB might be decommitting soon though.