'23 12th game

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Do we not have a 12th game for next year as of yet?
Interesting timing of your thread. I was looking at this yesterday.

We're just missing our FCS opponent, which is often a late add.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking we should do what Clemson does and play more teams from the State of Georgia. Now that Ga. Southern and Ga. State are FBS and FCS, that makes it a lot more difficult, but it would be a good way to garner some good will around the state, get a decent number of fans here for the game, etc. Looks like just Kennesaw State and Mercer are in FCS, so maybe not the best idea, but I would keep those two in the rotation.

While I hate to say it, we may need to play a few cupcakes the next few years where we can during a big rebuild.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking we should do what Clemson does and play more teams from the State of Georgia. Now that Ga. Southern and Ga. State are FBS and FCS, that makes it a lot more difficult, but it would be a good way to garner some good will around the state, get a decent number of fans here for the game, etc. Looks like just Kennesaw State and Mercer are in FCS, so maybe not the best idea, but I would keep those two in the rotation.

While I hate to say it, we may need to play a few cupcakes the next few years where we can during a big rebuild.

Honestly, that's the best way to go about rebuilding this program. Let's get some easy W's (at least on paper) and help the new coach and players build confidence. It's what Duke did in Cutcliffe's early years to help them get to 6 wins and a bowl. It also helps negate having to play Clemson and UGA every year.

Yes, I'd love to play teams like Ole Miss/Bama/Tennessee every season, but at this point in our program, we need to reset and build a good foundation.

90sJacketsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not as in-tune with GT athletics, but just being on here the past couple of days, I've gathered that the AA is cash strapped. With that in mind and observing Tech's OOC schedule being as tough as it is, is that bc they aren't able/won't pay for a "buy a W" game? Hence the home and home games with tougher opponents?

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not as in-tune with GT athletics, but just being on here the past couple of days, I've gathered that the AA is cash strapped. With that in mind and observing Tech's OOC schedule being as tough as it is, is that bc they aren't able/won't pay for a "buy a W" game? Hence the home and home games with tougher opponents?

This. In the near-term, it's money we don't have and just sets us up for more potential embarrassment. 42-0 to Ole Miss is still better than a loss to the Citadel plus 'money down' the drain.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

IIUC, there is already money budgeted for "cupcake games" so funding, in this instance, is not the issue.

I looked for a link but cant find it, so this next bit relies heavily on my recollection.

I seem to remember a blurb in the AJC saying that some of our scheduling was put on hold until the ACC made final decisions on the new schedule format. That may be why we still don't have a 12th game. I'd expect an announcement in the next few months. Also, Mayhem at MBS does not have an announced opponent just yet for 2023. Maybe we get an OoC P5 matchup?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
They are FCS.

It appears that they were FCS but moved back to Div. II? Not a big deal, but if they were FCS, I would play them.

1663772837355.png

1663772856497.png

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Dont forget we do have a Home and Home with Ga State coming up. Why a home and home I have no idea. Sunbelt stadiums are where the ACC goes to die. At least the $ec makes them come to their stadiums.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
IIUC, there is already money budgeted for "cupcake games" so funding, in this instance, is not the issue.

I looked for a link but cant find it, so this next bit relies heavily on my recollection.

I seem to remember a blurb in the AJC saying that some of our scheduling was put on hold until the ACC made final decisions on the new schedule format. That may be why we still don't have a 12th game. I'd expect an announcement in the next few months. Also, Mayhem at MBS does not have an announced opponent just yet for 2023. Maybe we get an OoC P5 matchup?