'22-23 Professional Golf

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Todays' round of golf has been cancelled due to high winds. Rounds one and two are rescheduled for tomorrow, February,9th.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Steelman moving up today in Korn Ferry tournament. Good position to make the weekend and contend. Good to see Ollie playing again.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I noticed on the Golf Channel crawler on Sunday that Christo Lamprecht will be playing in "The Open" this week. Here is a bio taken from the The Open's website

On June 24 Lamprecht became the third South African winner of the Amateur Championship in the last six years, following Jovan Rebula and Aldrich Potgieter – and like Potgeiter last year he had team-mate Christiaan Maas acting as his caddie.
Lamprecht, who stands 6ft 8ins tall, beat Swiss player Ronan Kleu 3&2 in the 36-hole final at Hillside to collect a trophy which brought with it not only a place at Royal Liverpool, but also next year’s US Open and, by tradition, an invitation to April’s Masters at Augusta National.
At sixth on the World Amateur Rankings he was the highest-ranked player in the 288-strong field, but it was far from plain sailing. The Georgia Tech student made it through the two rounds of strokeplay qualifying with nothing to spare, was taken to the final green in his opening matchplay contest and in his semi-final against English teenager Frank Kennedy was two down with three to play, but won them all – including the long 17th with an eagle.
He was then two down early on in the final, but completed a morning 66 to turn two up and was never caught as he became the 128th winner of the prestigious Championship.
In 2017 Lamprecht was, aged just 16, the youngest-ever winner of the South African Amateur and both that year and 2019 represented the International team in the Junior Presidents Cup.
He has also won all-American college honours and played in the Eisenhower Trophy and Arnold Palmer Cup.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Re: the Open

Say the odds were even (50/50), would you take A) Rory/Scottie/Brooks/Rahm or B) the rest of the field? This is a tough one, especially bc of how well statistically Scottie is playing but I might lean towards the second option. I would be tickled to see Rickie win but I don't believe he has major winner DNA. I think the Aussie Cam Smith could repeat if it is not won by one of the big 4. Spieth is another guy who does well across the pond.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Re: the Open

Say the odds were even (50/50), would you take A) Rory/Scottie/Brooks/Rahm or B) the rest of the field? This is a tough one, especially bc of how well statistically Scottie is playing but I might lean towards the second option. I would be tickled to see Rickie win but I don't believe he has major winner DNA. I think the Aussie Cam Smith could repeat if it is not won by one of the big 4. Spieth is another guy who does well across the pond.
Good question. I would have to take the rest of the field. I'd like to see Rickie win also but I, likewise, don't think he has what would take (between the ears) to win there. everyone else is playing so streaky this year. And I like Smith's odds too. And his game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was invited to attended the Fedex/St. Jude Championship this weekend in Memphis by a firm I do some business with. As we (me,wife,grandson) entered the course and were making our way to the hospitality tent, we saw a group on the first teebox we happened to walk by. We stopped to watch them tee off. In the group happened to be Matt Kuchar. It just so happened that we were on the opposite side of where the golfers stood while they were waiting to hit. During the wait, Kooch sees my grandson's GT hat and smiles at him. After his group hits, he walks over to my grandson, signs a golf ball for him and says hello. My 11 year old grandson kept his wits enough to say Go Jackets. What a great guy. he had to go out of his way to do this. Another golfer (Matthew Fitzpatrick) gives him his golf ball after putting out on the 12th green iirc. These guys know how to market their game (although many of them are so locked in on their job that they don't do this and that is okay too). I have a personal policy that I don't sign autographs either when I am doing my job. But it's probably more a guideline than a hard rule. I suspect that I might break it in the event someone asked for one. ;)

I am to the point now that I probably enjoy going to golf tournaments more than any single other sporting event. The up close and personal with the players is a big part of it.