2023 Season

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nuke was right.... 35+ next year...
with a covid clog option....

Tried to see actual words. What does "missed 2020 season" mean? Does it mean played no games in 2020? Played some number of games in 2020?

Nothing on ABCA site yet.

I probably were on roster for 2020 season. And I'd guess would be extended out till 2020 is 5 years back ....... (unless you are playing for BYU then 10).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nope. Here are details. To be eligible to be exempt from being counted against 35 in 2023, have to have "lost their season due to COVID". That is going to be very few. Effectively back to 35 next year.

Next big thing affecting next year's players is the size of the MLB draft.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
but if the season was canceled for "covid" didn't they all lose their season because of it and therefore the year doesn't count.
Kinda like a "Covid" medical redshirt year that you got to train for and playin 17 games....?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
but if the season was canceled for "covid" didn't they all lose their season because of it and therefore the year doesn't count.
Kinda like a "Covid" medical redshirt year that you got to train for and playin 17 games....?

Not from how I read Kendall. But ACBA hasn't posted the actual words ..... it should show up here https://www.abca.org/ABCA/News/ABCA...spx?hkey=75ea503b-5788-4ccb-b6d5-cae99f952cde

For others, essentially going to 35 from 40 roster limit is a big impact on the number of college baseball players. I was trying to guess how it would affect the transfer portal. On one hand, with fewer roster spots, more guys will be looking to find a team where they can make the roster. But on the other hand, I don't think the 35 roster limit is going to affect who actually plays that much. So it shouldn't affect the higher impact players looking to transfer. The higher impact players looking to transfer will still be doing so like they are now. Overall, my guess is that fewer guys in college baseball is the only big result.

Given the bloated size of some teams that are going to have to cut a lot to make 40 (Texas) and the large recruiting classes committed, this is a big deal. For us this year 40 is no problem (there will be a couple redshirts), but next year getting to 35 will be a challenge IF we don't lose a lot of players to the draft. That's because we have a large 2023 class coming in of about 14 signees and 4 verbals. Of course, some of them (5 are top 100) will go to the draft. But there again, the extent of losses depends on the size of and money in the draft. Here the PG 2023 class rankings sorted by HS Commit size.

1644069088810.png