2023 Chick-fil-A Kickoff vs. Louisville

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

With the announcement that Georgia Tech will face Louisville at MBS 2023, opponents are now set for three of the Yellow Jackets’ six home games at Mercedes-Benz Stadium through 2026:

2021 – Date/opponent TBA
2022 – Sept. 5 (Labor Day) vs. Clemson – Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game
2023 – Sept. 2 vs. Louisville – Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game
2024 – Oct. 19 vs. Notre Dame
2025 – Date/opponent TBA
2026 – Date/opponent TBA

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Louisville surprises me since I would assume the goal of these games is to fill up MBS to drive revenue. With no real historical rivalry with Louisville, both teams (today) being in the middle to lower end of the ACC, I just don't see a lot of tickets being sold for this game. Of course, if GT and/or Louisville gets a lot better, that could change.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Louisville surprises me since I would assume the goal of these games is to fill up MBS to drive revenue. With no real historical rivalry with Louisville, both teams (today) being in the middle to lower end of the ACC, I just don't see a lot of tickets being sold for this game. Of course, if GT and/or Louisville gets a lot better, that could change.
Well, the other options are UNC, Pitt, and Virginia Tech. Those 3 plus Boston College are also the only options for the 2021 game. I’d imagine UNC probably gets this year’s game. Louisville fans generally travel pretty well, especially to Atlanta. Home basketball games against Louisville can sometimes feel like neutral site games. I don’t think anyone’s expecting a sellout, but with both teams projected to be much better in 2023 than 2020, it will probably be a pretty decent crowd.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
For Louisville fans think about this. Long weekend (Labor day) so a quick vacation is the norm. How many times will they ever play in a dome, much less one as nice as the Benz. First game of the year, everyone thinks their team can win it all (aside a few tech fans who just why to be .500). So why wouldn't they fill it out

If we don't be careful, there will be more Louisville fans there than Tech.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
For Louisville fans think about this. Long weekend (Labor day) so a quick vacation is the norm. How many times will they ever play in a dome, much less one as nice as the Benz. First game of the year, everyone thinks their team can win it all (aside a few tech fans who just why to be .500). So why wouldn't they fill it out

If we don't be careful, there will be more Louisville fans there than Tech.
So like any of these money grab games. Let’s just play our games at BDS. These games suck

Horrible choice

I would hope Stokan & the CFA Folks would bring in a Michigan, Ohio State, ND (not sure if they are already scheduled) Stanford, USC (the real one), Oregon, Auburn, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, even Penn State, an Inter-Sectional opponent that Nat'l TV will want to get behind, or a bigger name from within the same Region , but not a Louisville

My preferences in order:
Alabama
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Michigan
USC
Oregon
Texas A&M

GT vs The Ville screams Thurs Night ESPN Game rather than Kickoff Classic

ADTS should have told Stokan get us the biggest name Program you can, seems like every time GT gets a chance "move the meter" we fail or we let others put us in a position to not get the biggest bang for our buck

Seems like "GT is always gonna Ga Tech", does everyone in our Athl Dept not understand the concept of Marketing?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Horrible choice

I would hope Stokan & the CFA Folks would bring in a Michigan, Ohio State, ND (not sure if they are already scheduled) Stanford, USC (the real one), Oregon, Auburn, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, even Penn State, an Inter-Sectional opponent that Nat'l TV will want to get behind, or a bigger name from within the same Region , but not a Louisville

My preferences in order:
Alabama
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Michigan
USC
Oregon
Texas A&M

GT vs The Ville screams Thurs Night ESPN Game rather than Kickoff Classic

ADTS should have told Stokan get us the biggest name Program you can, seems like every time GT gets a chance "move the meter" we fail or we let others put us in a position to not get the biggest bang for our buck

Seems like "GT is always gonna Ga Tech", does everyone in our Athl Dept not understand the concept of Marketing?
You realize Tech and just about every other P5 school has full schedules through 2023? Tech doesn’t have an open schedule date until 2025. It has literally nothing to do with Stokan or ADTS. You can’t just call up Michigan or Oregon and tell them to readjust their schedule just so they can play. Tech has an agreement to play 6 games at MBS, with the stipulation that a certain number of them be CFA games.

As stated above, Tech’s choices for the MBS game in 2023 were: Louisville, Bowling Green, North Carolina, Pitt, and Virginia Tech. In all likelihood we will play UNC at MBS this year, and probably don’t want to give them 2 free games there. Virginia Tech no longer has the draw they once did. There’s no way BG was ever going to be the MBS game. So that leaves Louisville and Pitt. Who do you think is the bigger draw out of those 2? Do you not understand the concept of schedules? Marketing and GTAA selected the best opponent they could given the circumstances.

You realize Tech and just about every other P5 school has full schedules through 2023? Tech doesn’t have an open schedule date until 2025. It has literally nothing to do with Stokan or ADTS. You can’t just call up Michigan or Oregon and tell them to readjust their schedule just so they can play. Tech has an agreement to play 6 games at MBS, with the stipulation that a certain number of them be CFA games.

As stated above, Tech’s choices for the MBS game in 2023 were: Louisville, Bowling Green, North Carolina, Pitt, and Virginia Tech. In all likelihood we will play UNC at MBS this year, and probably don’t want to give them 2 free games there. Virginia Tech no longer has the draw they once did. There’s no way BG was ever going to be the MBS game. So that leaves Louisville and Pitt. Who do you think is the bigger draw out of those 2? Do you not understand the concept of schedules? Marketing and GTAA selected the best opponent they could given the circumstances.
On at least 3 Occasions Saban has adjusted his sked to play in the CFA Kickoff Classic, Saban admitted he did it because he Recruits Ga so much and it is a chance to for those Guys to play in their Home State and for him to improve his Recruiting Network here in GA

That CFA game pays out about $6Million (? maybe I'm wrong) , but it is usually financially worth it in a non-Covid year to play in that Game, with the Money involved plus the value to a Program's Recruiting efforts I feel a lot of Top Teams would buy their way out of a season-opening cupcake to play in that Game

Also I thought GT playing Games in MBS were regular season Games that are "separate" from CFA Kickoff Classic Games

I thought the CFA Kickoff Games weren't from our "regular sked of opponents" and are supposed to be OoC Games?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
On at least 3 Occasions Saban has adjusted his sked to play in the CFA Kickoff Classic, Saban admitted he did it because he Recruits Ga so much and it is a chance to for those Guys to play in their Home State and for him to improve his Recruiting Network here in GA

That CFA game pays out about $6Million (? maybe I'm wrong) , but it is usually financially worth it in a non-Covid year to play in that Game, with the Money involved plus the value to a Program's Recruiting efforts I feel a lot of Top Teams would buy their way out of a season-opening cupcake to play in that Game

Also I thought GT playing Games in MBS were regular season Games that are "separate" from CFA Kickoff Classic Games

I thought the CFA Kickoff Games weren't from our "regular sked of opponents" and are supposed to be OoC Games?

So why then give a blue blood the advantage of playing in ATL so they can recruit?

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck

If the money is right, schedules are adjustable

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Thought this was funny/ironic because Louisville is playing Ole Miss in this year’s CFA Kickoff game at the Benz
Correct. But you do realize that only family members and a few dozen big wigs got in? I know you may have forgotten, but once upon a time, stadiums allowed as many people in so that ach seat was full. And sometimes they even had standing room only sections.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Correct. But you do realize that only family members and a few dozen big wigs got in? I know you may have forgotten, but once upon a time, stadiums allowed as many people in so that ach seat was full. And sometimes they even had standing room only sections.
??
The game hasn’t been played yet. They play this year (2021) in the Benz.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping for a USC (Cali), Oregon, Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona State would be a cool matchup as well.

This is awful.