2023 Atlanta Braves

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Matt Olson tearing it up at the plate.
Per MLBTR-
The Braves will option infielders Vaughn Grissom and Braden Shewmake to Triple-A, reports Mark Bowman of MLB.com. Both had been in line for the Opening Day shortstop job in Atlanta, but it seems that will now go to Orlando Arcia. David O’Brien of The Athletic relays that Arcia will get the starting gig with Ehire Adrianza as the utility infielder. Adrianza is not currently on the 40-man roster. The Braves subsequently announced the moves as part of a larger batch of roster cuts, including outfielders Jordan Luplow, Eli White and right-hander Nick Anderson.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Grissom and Shewmake, but more so Grissom, could also be a "play" to extend the period before he is arbitration then late free agent eligible. That would be due to the "Service Time" he'd accrue. So basically it could take parts of 4 or 5 seasons before he accrues 3 years of service and would be eligible for arbitration.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
There was a good article in the AJC this morning talking about this. Arcia won the job and it seems that Adrianza would be able to opt out of his contract immediately if not on the roster come opening day. So this is a move to keep infield depth in the short term while Grissom and Shewmake get to play everyday (rather than one sitting most days in ATL) in triple A. I expect Grissom will be back in the ATL pretty darn soon.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Braves unveiled their city connect jerseys today. Problem is, they misspelled 'Marietta'..

:whistle:
Would they claim Marietta? Or would they try to push "Cumberland"?

I also don't understand why they wouldn't hold these for one more year to unveil them during the 50 year anniversary of Hank's 715. Why do it on year 49?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ronald Acuna, Jr. is pretty good at the baseball.

Zodiac Think GIF by Hope is Sincere

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Talk to me. All the eggsperts keep saying Fried is the next to go. Saying he's not gonna be re-signed. Are they full of it?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Talk to me. All the eggsperts keep saying Fried is the next to go. Saying he's not gonna be re-signed. Are they full of it?
Not sure GM Alex A. will go over 3 years on a Pitcher? This is the one that throws six different pitches, and seems to avoid arm injuries(elbow & shoulder). They don’t come along very often. Maddux, Seaver, Ryan, Morris, and the soft tossing nuckleballers such as Niekro & Wilbur Wood are a few examples.

Might have to go four or five years, depending on the market & his agency.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure GM Alex A. will go over 3 years on a Pitcher? This is the one that throws six different pitches, and seems to avoid arm injuries(elbow & shoulder). They don’t come along very often. Maddux, Seaver, Ryan, Morris, and the soft tossing nuckleballers such as Niekro & Wilbur Wood are a few examples.

Might have to go four or five years, depending on the market & his agency.

Ok,ok, I see BuzzB is still in spring training form 'cause I didn't get a straight answer. :giggle: Or did I? :unsure:

Ah well, next question. What TF is going on in St. Louis? I thought Contreras was a good C? What's the plan there? So weird.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
@kg01 ;
If Max wants to sign before October Goes(that’s a Barry Manilow tune), yes the Braves might give him a long-term contract. Should it go further than that, Father Time runs the odds down considerably for an Atlanta return. Fried is a #1 starter, established. My reasoning for that optimism comes from no past arm injuries(see post above, for examples).

Spencer Strider is the one guy, I have no clue on? He will be a #1 very soon. Throws hard, & needs to figure out how to lessen his pitch count for going beyond 5 innings. Braves have a few more years of service before all of that arbitration stuff.

Been looking more at the younger Contreras in Oakland. Murphy trade looking really good for the present Braves. As you know, trades take years at times, to evaluate with so many young players involved.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
@kg01 ;
If Max wants to sign before October Goes(that’s a Barry Manilow tune), yes the Braves might give him a long-term contract. Should it go further than that, Father Time runs the odds down considerably for an Atlanta return. Fried is a #1 starter, established. My reasoning for that optimism comes from no past arm injuries(see post above, for examples).

Spencer Strider is the one guy, I have no clue on? He will be a #1 very soon. Throws hard, & needs to figure out how to lessen his pitch count for going beyond 5 innings. Braves have a few more years of service before all of that arbitration stuff.

Been looking more at the younger Contreras in Oakland. Murphy trade looking really good for the present Braves. As you know, trades take years at times, to evaluate with so many young players involved.
I agree that if Fried is going to re-sign here, it will happen this year during the season. I doubt we do anything during the offseason with him and he probably won't sign during next season. He's going to have a hefty price, but he has earned the right to ask for it. Selfishly, I badly want him to re-sign, but the more that Wright, Elder and younger guys look like solid pieces, the more AA will squeeze the checkbook on Fried. Ian Anderson will need to figure things out when he gets back next year as he has seemed to lose his mojo. Hopefully he can find it during his time healing from TJ.

Buzz, I think you're thinking of Shea Langeliers in Oakland. The younger Contreras is in Milwaukee putting together a very solid season early on. Shea, on the other hand, is really struggling swinging the twig, but will be given all the time in the world, I would think, seeing as they won't be competing for a while.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Buzz, I think you're thinking of Shea Langeliers in Oakland. The younger Contreras is in Milwaukee putting together a very solid season early on. Shea, on the other hand, is really struggling swinging the twig, but will be given all the time in the world, I would think, seeing as they won't be competing for a while.

See, told ya @Buzzbomb is still in spring training. ;)

That's ok tho. We're good teammates so we'll pick up the slack til he gets his swing goin..

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
You guys are right, I’m either in Spring Training or getting ready for Diaper Training. The Braves did get Olson & Murphy from Oakland in separate deals about a year apart? If that’s not so, please find an old folks home for me.

Think I jinxed poor Max …….

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You guys are right, I’m either in Spring Training or getting ready for Diaper Training. The Braves did get Olson & Murphy from Oakland in separate deals about a year apart? If that’s not so, please find an old folks home for me.

Yep, definitely a jinx job by you. Quick, tell me I'll never win the lotto.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

That's correct, we traded for Olson & Murphy in back to back offseasons. We absolutely fleeced Oakland in the Olson deal as Pache and Langeliers have failed to produce anything close to replacement level as an A's player. Jury is still out on the Murphy trade, but it's increasingly looking like we made out like bandits, Milwaukee got some nice pieces, and the A's failed miserably again. Out of all the players Oakland got in that deal, only Esteury Ruiz is looking like he might pan out. Maybe we try to hit the well one more time for Brent Rooker to help us out in LF?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
In the news…Kyle Wright will be out for an extended stretch, for quite some time.
Max Fried just needs rest, building some arm strength. Good news is no structural damage.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Noticing how the Braves have had some unfortunate luck with these Tommy John surgeries in the last 6 to 8 months. Add JR Ritchie to the list(high draft choice). Mike Soroka has been pitching well at Gwinnett & Atl. could use a good MLB SP.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Noticing how the Braves have had some unfortunate luck with these Tommy John surgeries in the last 6 to 8 months. Add JR Ritchie to the list(high draft choice). Mike Soroka has been pitching well at Gwinnett & Atl. could use a good MLB SP.
I saw Gwinnett on Tuesday and Soroka looked like the old Soroka. I wouldn't be surprised if he is up very soon. AA was also at the game watching.