2023 Atlanta Braves

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I think the Philly manager won this series. He was very aggressive about running the bases; how many steals did they have in the series? He also used his closer and high leverage guys early in games to snuff out any inklingsof a rally by the Bravos. He was constantly applying pressure on the Braves and we did not respond.
I really thought the comeback win in Game 2 was going to ignite the offense and turn things around, even going to Philly. I believe the Braves swept them the previous series there.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Definitely, that was definitely a bad omen going into the post season with the injuries to the starting pitching. But still, the Phillies are a Divisional team, we've played them often and are (or should be) familiar with their pitching staff, you would think the Braves hitters would recognize what they were doing and made adjustments. Over 162 games this offense mostly steam-rolled it was no fluke, so this is a tough one to figure out ... ???

We've seen them struggle vs PHI, in spots. They've never hit Suarez. Ever.

I think the success they had vs PHI in the regular season was strategic. Their manager obviously (to everyone except Snitker) held back on what they showed. That dude is a killer. I'm so jealous.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Big Braves fan, but you could see this coming. Yeah, the bats were silent, but the bigger concern is pitching. They need to add 2 aces in the off season.

They don't need aces, per se. I think a healthy Fried and Morton would've made a huge difference this series. I've seen enough of Elder, sadly.

Fried developing a blister on his pitching finger end of the season was not ideal. Strider is coming along well and might be a legit ace in the making. Elder is 24 years old and blew well past his season high in innings. 1-2 more seasons of development and he could be a legit 3rd starter. Morton has been good for us, but we need to look at replacing him this offseason. Even if we keep him for one more year, we need to get a replacement for him on staff. I'd be good for spending on one ace, extending Fried, and putting some money into the bullpen. A legit lockdown closer would be nice.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The Braves payroll for 2023 was $173 million. That was the 6th most in MLB. An interesting stat shows the braves paid just under $20 million to pitchers while they were on the IL. Over 11% of the entire payroll was paid to pitchers while on the IL! More than $8 million of that was paid to Max Fried. Another $3 million was paid to Raisel Iglesias. Morton spent 8 days on the IL and received $860,000 for his recovery period.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The Braves payroll for 2023 was $173 million. That was the 6th most in MLB. An interesting stat shows the braves paid just under $20 million to pitchers while they were on the IL. Over 11% of the entire payroll was paid to pitchers while on the IL! More than $8 million of that was paid to Max Fried. Another $3 million was paid to Raisel Iglesias. Morton spent 8 days on the IL and received $860,000 for his recovery period.
For all the pampering of pitchers these days, they sure do spend a lot of time on the IL.