2023-2024 ROSTER???

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd love to see us at one more big, but otherwise this feels like a job well done for the new coach.

Abram is the highest rated guy in the various portal rankings GT has landed so far, so that is a significant win.

He know has enough perimeter threats to play a 4 out type system.
He has a guy that looks like a player that can be a good positional paint scoring threat in Claude.
He also had enough players now to sort of match the type of team he tended to play at Pacific.
Basically 7-8 guys who get between 17-30 mpg and another 3 or so who tend to get 10-13.

With his background I am sort of expecting CDS to employ alot of situational lineups.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I expect he'd get similar to the minutes Sturdivant got his first year here which was 12 mpg. I don't know much about Ole Miss last year but a quick look at their roster makes me think the path for playing time at guard here is harder than it was last year especially since it looks like they had a starter step away mid year. There is the obvious unknown about how CDS wants to run his rotation because it did look like he had an fairly deep bench often at Pacific iirc. But with Sturdivant, Terry, Coleman, and Kelly competing for time in the back court, I think it will be hard for Abram to get much more than 12 this year unless we really go heavy with Coleman at the 4 spot. I could see something like

Kelly -32
Sturdivant - 30
Terry - 27
Coleman - 15 (on the wing with some at the 4)
which would leave 26 minutes in the back court to split between Reeves and Abram. I wouldn't be completely surprised if Abram came in and took the majority of those minutes but I think its likely to be a bit situational between the two. Also possible Coleman spends most of his time at the 4 and we go to a real 4 out look as our base which would open up more minutes.
Ole Miss was a bad team last year. GT was a bad team last year. Competition will be king. I do not believe any player, returner or transfer, has any minutes assured at this point. They will all earn their minutes based on summer and fall performance. Kelly is the one player who seems to stand above the rest. The others don't appear to have much that separates them except the positions they play.

Lots of opportunities for all 10 guys.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Ole Miss was a bad team last year. GT was a bad team last year. Competition will be king. I do not believe any player, returner or transfer, has any minutes assured at this point. They will all earn their minutes based on summer and fall performance. Kelly is the one player who seems to stand above the rest. The others don't appear to have much that separates them except the positions they play.

Lots of opportunities for all 10 guys.
Will depend on how well all these new guys gel with the existing guys. Team chemistry is hugely important. Gotta come together as a cohesive squad.

der-k

Georgia Tech Fan
Rambling, that’s my thinking too, more or less. I also think CDS may have emphasized winning the possession game over efficiency at UoP - I half expect a move toward dual combo guard backcourts and front courts that hit the boards (though I don’t think we’ve seen that yet).

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Not that it’s the end-all-be-all by any means, but I poke around the mocks pretty often, and Miles Kelly was unlisted for ‘23 and ‘24.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I expect he'd get similar to the minutes Sturdivant got his first year here which was 12 mpg. I don't know much about Ole Miss last year but a quick look at their roster makes me think the path for playing time at guard here is harder than it was last year especially since it looks like they had a starter step away mid year. There is the obvious unknown about how CDS wants to run his rotation because it did look like he had an fairly deep bench often at Pacific iirc. But with Sturdivant, Terry, Coleman, and Kelly competing for time in the back court, I think it will be hard for Abram to get much more than 12 this year unless we really go heavy with Coleman at the 4 spot. I could see something like

Kelly -32
Sturdivant - 30
Terry - 27
Coleman - 15 (on the wing with some at the 4)
which would leave 26 minutes in the back court to split between Reeves and Abram. I wouldn't be completely surprised if Abram came in and took the majority of those minutes but I think its likely to be a bit situational between the two. Also possible Coleman spends most of his time at the 4 and we go to a real 4 out look as our base which would open up more minutes.
I think you are underestimating Reeves. He is a matchup problem and I expect he will be on the floor as much as Kelly. Look for those two to see the majority minutes at the 2G and wing spots while the others fill roles around them at the guard position.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Coincidence that another GT 6’4” PG just got out of jail the same week Abram commits?

Since Abram wants to BEE coached by CDS to play the Point, let’s hope he has a similar career path.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think you are underestimating Reeves. He is a matchup problem and I expect he will be on the floor as much as Kelly. Look for those two to see the majority minutes at the 2G and wing spots while the others fill roles around them at the guard position.

Maybe, but I don't really see it based on his time at UF. I see him more providing depth this year and competing for a starting spot next year once Terry graduates and possibly Kelly moving on (if he's testing the waters this year I don't think he can again).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe, but I don't really see it based on his time at UF. I see him more providing depth this year and competing for a starting spot next year once Terry graduates and possibly Kelly moving on (if he's testing the waters this year I don't think he can again).
We all have opinions about who will emerge from the group, but we need to back off and let the process play itself out. These kids have their own internal engines and we will see who steps up and who wilts, but there will be competition all over the floor.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

IMO, Reeves compares VERY favorably to Deebo in terms of production. Deebo is a better 3pt shooter, but in terms of production they are about the same...EXCEPT Deebos numbers come from more minutes. For me, Reeves is more explosive and is better at creating his own shot.

Reeves will be more than just depth. He will be a productive part of our rotation...either as a starter or first up sub that contributes 20+ minutes a game.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO, Reeves compares VERY favorably to Deebo in terms of production. Deebo is a better 3pt shooter, but in terms of production they are about the same...EXCEPT Deebos numbers come from more minutes. For me, Reeves is more explosive and is better at creating his own shot.

Reeves will be more than just depth. He will be a productive part of our rotation...either as a starter or first up sub that contributes 20+ minutes a game.

Reeves shoots at a very high rate 23.7 attempts per 100 last year. To compare, Kelly averaged 22.5 per 100. Smith 20.7. Sturdivant 19.7. Terry 19.7. Coleman 15.7.Florida had Castleton at 21.2, Kugel at 19.5, Richard at 14.5. Lofton at 13.3. Abram was at 22.4.

Reeves eFG% was .445. For comparison Smith was .428, Sturdy .462, Coleman .48, Terry .514, Kelly .52. For UF Casleton was .503, Kugel .526, Richard .607, and Lofton .459. Both Reeves and Coleman were better as freshmen with Reeevs at .5 and Coleman at .525. Abram was at .48.

You say he was better at creating his own shot. But was he creating good shots? To me it doesn't look like it, or he was and just not converting. He also didn't really generate opportunities for others getting just 1.6 assists per 100 compared to 3.3 turnovers. To compare Coleman was at 2.5 assists and 2.2 turnovers. Terry was 2.5 compared to 1.9. Kelly was 2.4 compared to 2.7. Sturdivant was 8.3 compared to 4.0. Abram was 5.7 compared to 5.1.

Now Reeves could improve, and he could benefit from playing in a different system. That can be said for all our options though. Terry was adjusting to playing in the ACC while Coleman and Kelly were also sophomores. Abram was a freshman as well. Any could improve, or benefit from a different system. To me, Reeves profile indicates someone we put in when Kelly is out to try and generate opportunities while Coleman fits better alongside Kelly as someone who can better take advantage of the attention Kelly should draw. I also think Coleman's shooting makes him more appealing at the 4 as going small doesn't make much sense if you're going to put someone at that spot that doesn't shoot the 3 well. I also don't think Coleman is great in that role and am hoping we see a big jump from Moore in that regard. However if that happens then that means the total number of available minutes goes down for all the wings.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Reeves shoots at a very high rate 23.7 attempts per 100 last year. To compare, Kelly averaged 22.5 per 100. Smith 20.7. Sturdivant 19.7. Terry 19.7. Coleman 15.7.Florida had Castleton at 21.2, Kugel at 19.5, Richard at 14.5. Lofton at 13.3. Abram was at 22.4.

Reeves eFG% was .445. For comparison Smith was .428, Sturdy .462, Coleman .48, Terry .514, Kelly .52. For UF Casleton was .503, Kugel .526, Richard .607, and Lofton .459. Both Reeves and Coleman were better as freshmen with Reeevs at .5 and Coleman at .525. Abram was at .48.

You say he was better at creating his own shot. But was he creating good shots? To me it doesn't look like it, or he was and just not converting. He also didn't really generate opportunities for others getting just 1.6 assists per 100 compared to 3.3 turnovers. To compare Coleman was at 2.5 assists and 2.2 turnovers. Terry was 2.5 compared to 1.9. Kelly was 2.4 compared to 2.7. Sturdivant was 8.3 compared to 4.0. Abram was 5.7 compared to 5.1.

Now Reeves could improve, and he could benefit from playing in a different system. That can be said for all our options though. Terry was adjusting to playing in the ACC while Coleman and Kelly were also sophomores. Abram was a freshman as well. Any could improve, or benefit from a different system. To me, Reeves profile indicates someone we put in when Kelly is out to try and generate opportunities while Coleman fits better alongside Kelly as someone who can better take advantage of the attention Kelly should draw. I also think Coleman's shooting makes him more appealing at the 4 as going small doesn't make much sense if you're going to put someone at that spot that doesn't shoot the 3 well. I also don't think Coleman is great in that role and am hoping we see a big jump from Moore in that regard. However if that happens then that means the total number of available minutes goes down for all the wings.
You're trying WAY to hard...Throw all these stats out the window. Different coach, different system, different set of expectations.

The only thing that you need to know is that he didn't transfer here to sit the bench. They're not going to extend NIL dollars to someone that isn't in the rotation.

slugboy

Staff member
10000%... No way the kid came here play 12 mins per game.
It also looks like Stoudamire has a lot of players at 20 or 30 minutes from his time at Pacific (if that means anything). The #11 player had 14 minutes per game.
I might be reading too much into it, but I think Stoudamire thinks a player with a scholarship is a player that should be on the court.

You're trying WAY to hard...Throw all these stats out the window. Different coach, different system, different set of expectations.

The only thing that you need to know is that he didn't transfer here to sit the bench. They're not going to extend NIL dollars to someone that isn't in the rotation.

Obviously, Stoudamire had to evaluate players for the pros. I think he has a plan to use everyone he’s recruited, and he’s got a purpose for most of them, if not all of them.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I was very much afraid Deebo was going to tip on out, I’m assuming if it was going to happen it would have happened by now. so I am thankful for that.

The roster is starting to resemble the Villanova teams with Scottie Reynolds, Corey Fisher, Curtis Sumpter, teams that I personally loved watching. If CDS is planning on deploying that type of offense, we are going to be a ton of fun.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We won 6 ACC games last year. New coach, portal players. IMHO all minutes distribution is up in the air for a while yet. I like several of the returning players but wouldn’t defer to their minutes from last year.